• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4te - A sliding puzzle by Justin Jaffray

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Justin and I were messing around with pistons in Minecraft and he ended up making this really awesome sliding puzzle from sticky pistons and colored wool:

Original video

He called the game 4x4te (Four-by-Forte). I found myself constantly playing it that I decided to program my own sim of it, as it was difficult to keep running around the board to hit levers.

Screenshots:
4x4te_ss1.png
4x4te_ss2.png

Clicking a piston will toggle it on or off. Since these are 'sticky pistons', when they retract, they will pull a single block that is touching its end back with it. The aim of the game is to use these sticky pistons to manipulate the colored blocks to sort them into their respective corners (As seen in the first screenshot).

Unfortunately the languages I know only support Windows. Maybe someone would be able to port this to flash or something for others to be able to play.

Download (.exe)

My PB is 58.97 at the moment.
Edit: 23.73, and a video of 39.83

Last edited by a moderator:

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
Finished my first solve just now... 2min 39sec :I

Very interesting puzzle, enjoyable too, think I'm going to play with it for some time now :p