• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to improve memory?

A

andrewvo1324

So yea ive gotten into BLD cubing abd i had my first solve today!!!

But my memo was like 10 minutes.... and execution was faster like 5 mins lol..

But my main problem is MEMO...

im using letters for CO Numbers For CP and Letter for EO/EP

How do i improve my memo?

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just practice, your brain will get used to making connections lol.

And may be learn some memo-techniques mentioned in the sticky thread. At first, my memo was pretty bad too, but then after a few solves it dropped a lot.

malcolm

After a few solves you get used to it, i started off memo'ing in around 7 mins, now i just did a 37 second memo

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your times will come down fast. You can check the memory techniques others have mentioned, but honestly your current memory method should eventually be good enough for at least sub-3 minutes, probably even sub-2 minutes. I'm guessing that just by practicing your current method, you can be less than 5 minutes in a month, if you practice enough. (I was doing 10 attempts per day to prepare for the US Open last year, and it only took me about a month of that to get down to sub-5 average.)

Congratulations! That's a great achievement! And 15 minutes is pretty good for a first BLD solve.

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You really don't need to be asking a question like that after your first BLD solve only. You just need more practice.

Luckily I was one of those who got fast solves straight away, as my first solve was 5:24. Yup, I'm being bigheaded!

Zava

WCA
2007BERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You really don't need to be asking a question like that after your first BLD solve only. You just need more practice.

Luckily I was one of those who got fast solves straight away, as my first solve was 5:24. Yup, I'm being bigheaded!

my first was 4:44.89 :p
for a beginner, i think stories is a very easy memo-method.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

my first was 4:44.89 :p
for a beginner, i think stories is a very easy memo-method.

And can be very fast (sub-20 memo).

btw. my first solve was something between 30 and 45 minutes o_O

Nghia

WCA
2010DUON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got my first solve at 14 minutes and now my PB is 2:56 but I'm still around 4-5 minutes. I think I'm going to switch to stories.

Anyway, congrats my Vietnamese friend !

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WOW TIM.... YOUR FIRST SOLVE WAS AROUND 30-40 MIN?! o_0

there's some food for thought XD

I couldn't solve the cube within 2 minutes at that time. And i had almost no knowledge about the cube, so i had to work quite hard to just understand macky's 3-cycle guide.
I've probably never used my mind that hard since my first bld solve :).

A

andrewvo1324

I got my first solve at 14 minutes and now my PB is 2:56 but I'm still around 4-5 minutes. I think I'm going to switch to stories.

haha do you live in viet?

Yea im thinking bout stories to...for Edges

A

andrewvo1324

Also, Im deciding to use a adventure storie method with my house...and objects.

So for edges i use letter a-x so i just give each letter a object name and place them in my house?

How would i remeber my numberS?

Brian Le

Viet Power! I am not a story thinker. The way I memorize is first I remember CP visually. Then EP using numbers. For example, if I wanted to cycle 1->3->2->5, I would memorize as 1325. I then memorize EO visually and CO visually. At least that's the way I do it (however, I have yet to become good at BLD).

Leo

I do it exactly the same way, Brian. Except for the order I memorize in. I memorize EP > CP > CO> EO, but like you I memorize edges with numbers and everything else visually.

A

andrewvo1324

Viet Power! I am not a story thinker. The way I memorize is first I remember CP visually. Then EP using numbers. For example, if I wanted to cycle 1->3->2->5, I would memorize as 1325. I then memorize EO visually and CO visually. At least that's the way I do it (however, I have yet to become good at BLD).

I dont do Cycles though.

malcolm

I've switched to freestyle, and visual memo with it, and have got my times down from 1 min using numbers for EP and visual for the rest to 40-50 seconds

ThePizzaGuy92

WCA
2007SEID01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've done close to 30 BLD solves, my memo has yet to improve much. at first it was 11 minutes, about three solves later is was like 7 minutes, and now it's like 5-6 minutes. I'm not concerned with geting better though. I dont plan on breaking any records. :] My only goal is to do a 2 cubes multiBLD.

Nghia

WCA
2010DUON01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I dont do Cycles though.

Andrew Vo : Yes I live in Vietnam and here there is no cube, except chinese ones which pop systematically when you try to do finger tricks...

Brian Le : What do you mean you don't do cycles ?

I memorize EP, CP, EO and CO and I solve CO, EO, CP and EP.
I've tried freestyling, but it's still very un-natural for me :p