• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WayneMigraine

WCA
2015BUCK01
I cant seem to solve a k4 case.
the OLL is done, corners are solved, but two adjacent dedge pieces are not solved. they have to be swapped. like the z-perm, but has two edges
I'll insert a picture here:
View attachment 5074
View attachment 5075View attachment 5075

One solution would be to do this (unsolved pieces on front and right) R B l' U2 l' U2 x U2 l' U2 r x' U2 r' U2 l2 B' R'
You could also solve it indirectly by doing OLL parity and then solving the resulting 3-cycle

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The optimal/direct solution would be to do this (unsolved pieces on front and right) R B l' U2 l' U2 x U2 l' U2 r x' U2 r' U2 l2 B' R'
You could also solve it indirectly by doing OLL parity and then solving the resulting 3-cycle
That is incorrect. This solution is neither direct nor optimal, but no worries.:) The optimal solutions are 15 moves.

You will see that most of the solutions I put in that list are direct solutions. Also note that you must take the mirror of all of these algorithms to get his requested specific case. I wonder if my x 2L' U L U 2L' U' L' U' M' U2 2L' U2 2L U2 2R' U2 2L2 x', which is only one move more than the combo you listed is faster than it. It's relatively new, so I don't have any testers. :)

I also have the following three in that list which are also 17 moves each:
x 2L' U L U 2L' U' L' U' x U2 2L' U2 2L U2 2R' U2 2L 2R x2
x 2L U2 2L U2 M U L U 2L U' L' U' 2L' U2 2R U2 2L2 x'
r U2 2L U2 3l U L' U 2L U' L U' 2L' U2 2R U2 l2 x'

Although not fast, my favorite direct solution that I found for this case is 2R' u l u' 2R2 f2 l' f 2R' f' l f2 2R' u l' u'. :)

Last edited:

WayneMigraine

WCA
2015BUCK01
That is incorrect. This solution is neither direct nor optimal, but no worries.:) The optimal solutions are 15 moves.

You will see that most of the solutions I put in that list are direct solutions. Also note that you must take the mirror of all of these algorithms to get his requested specific case. I wonder if my x 2L' U L U 2L' U' L' U' M' U2 2L' U2 2L U2 2R' U2 2L2 x', which is only one move more than the combo you listed is faster than it. It's relatively new, so I don't have any testers. :)

Although not fast, my favorite direct solution that I found for this case is 2R' u l u' 2R2 f2 l' f 2R' f' l f2 2R' u l' u'. :)

Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake. The combo you listed might be easier to execute, since it requires fewer rotations

Last edited:

EvanCahill

Is there an algorithm to take edges from the bottom layer and place them on the edge they belong. I'm trying to use a centers last method first solve one side, then 2nd and 3rd layer edge then place in centers, and solve last layer.

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there an algorithm to take edges from the bottom layer and place them on the edge they belong. I'm trying to use a centers last method first solve one side, then 2nd and 3rd layer edge then place in centers, and solve last layer.

That's incredibly inspecific. An M move will move FD to UF, but I'm sure that's not what you want.

Mes

4x4 Tutorial?

I recently got my first 4x4 and all methods of solving it confuse me. I can solve centers, cross, first layer, but I don't understand how to match the pairs! What simple"beginners" method? not going for speed yet, just looking to solve it. Thank you in advance!

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I recently got my first 4x4 and all methods of solving it confuse me. I can solve centers, cross, first layer, but I don't understand how to match the pairs! What simple"beginners" method? not going for speed yet, just looking to solve it. Thank you in advance!
I assume that you have looked on YouTube and have been confused by the tutorials.

Several years ago, when I first learned how to solve the 5x5x5 and larger cubes on my own (after learning how to solve the 4x4x4 from a YouTube tutorial by Thrawst), I made a written guide. See pages 10-11. You will see that I use a single algorithm to pair all edges. I assume this is what you mean by a simple beginners method, as it requires very little thinking and only one move sequence. I also extend it to the 5x5x5 and larger cube edge pairing cases as well on the next page.

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01

This is very good, I've just been doing oll parity and the 3 cycle. Thanks!

WCA
2015SIND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
4x4 Centers

Hello Cubers!

Im Pranav

A want to know something.....

I know absolutely nothing about 4x4 (Though I have solved it using beginners method). To know how to solve I saw a Tutorial and Solved It. I realized that after Solving the Top(Which in my case is Yellow) and Bottom(White) Centers, And One Adjacent(Any one of Blue, Green, Red or Orange) or Side Center. Then instead of solving The other Adjacent Center(I solved Orange First and Then I solved Blue). We can Solve the Opposite Center(If i solve Orange and then Solve Red). An then Solve the Other Two Opposite Centers( Blue and Green) Using the 2x2 Guimond Method Separation to solve the Centers.

Here are my Questions---
Can we Do this?
Is this Already in Use?
If Yes, Then Thank You?
If No, then What should I do?

I hope You understand What I Said!!!!
:tu

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello Cubers!

Im Pranav

A want to know something.....

I know absolutely nothing about 4x4 (Though I have solved it using beginners method). To know how to solve I saw a Tutorial and Solved It. I realized that after Solving the Top(Which in my case is Yellow) and Bottom(White) Centers, And One Adjacent(Any one of Blue, Green, Red or Orange) or Side Center. Then instead of solving The other Adjacent Center(I solved Orange First and Then I solved Blue). We can Solve the Opposite Center(If i solve Orange and then Solve Red). An then Solve the Other Two Opposite Centers( Blue and Green) Using the 2x2 Guimond Method Separation to solve the Centers.

Here are my Questions---
Can we Do this?
Is this Already in Use?
If Yes, Then Thank You?
If No, then What should I do?

I hope You understand What I Said!!!!
:tu

Syuhei Omura does/did that for the reduction method. You can see a video of him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hmu16auy1c

PurpleBanana

I got an Aosu and it sucks. Is this a problem, or is it normal for 4x4s to be absolutely terrible in comparison to 3x3s? Mine takes a lot of effort to turn and locks up quite a bit.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, I know where my issue is with my solves, but I dont know how to fix it besides practice. My centers take about 55 seconds, and my edge pairing takes about 30, and then 3x3 takes about 25. So, how am I supposed to practice? just scramble my centers, solve them, and scramble them again, until my center time cuts down? should I memorize my first two centers, so I can have better look-ahead for my L4C (centers not corners)?

WCA
2014ATTI01
Can someone help me? I disassembled my Aosu to swap ots springs for Weisu soft ones and now the internals catch, not just the plastic but the little piece on the center, catches with the centers when i move it one way. And when I fix it, another piece goes and does it.

josh42732

Red piece towards green-white corner. Blue piece towards the orange-white corner. White piece towards the green-orange corner. Green piece towards the white-orange corner. Orange piece towards the white-green corner. Yellow piece towards the green-orange corner. That's what mine are on and it's fine.

WCA
2014ATTI01
Red piece towards green-white corner. Blue piece towards the orange-white corner. White piece towards the green-orange corner. Green piece towards the white-orange corner. Orange piece towards the white-green corner. Yellow piece towards the green-orange corner. That's what mine are on and it's fine.

the centers?is that what you mean by piece? like the piece under that color center? I'll try it tomorrow and get back to you

APdRF

WCA
2011FIOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone help me? I disassembled my Aosu to swap ots springs for Weisu soft ones and now the internals catch, not just the plastic but the little piece on the center, catches with the centers when i move it one way. And when I fix it, another piece goes and does it.

Here's a video of mine assembling it, you have to put the center pieces carefully. Hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator: