• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SenorJuan

Quote:"My centers take 18 seconds. My edges take 45 seconds"
You've obviously got the speed (based on your 3x3x3 stage times) so you should be aiming for 10 - 15 secs for centres, which includes improving your inspection phase. And edge-pairing is typically only 35-40 turns, so just practicing loads should get that down below 25 secs. If you've read Chris Hardwicks 4x4x4 guide, you will see that's the pace he was at: 35 secs reduction, 25 for the 3x3x3 stage.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Quote:"My centers take 18 seconds. My edges take 45 seconds"
You've obviously got the speed (based on your 3x3x3 stage times) so you should be aiming for 10 - 15 secs for centres, which includes improving your inspection phase. And edge-pairing is typically only 35-40 turns, so just practicing loads should get that down below 25 secs. If you've read Chris Hardwicks 4x4x4 guide, you will see that's the pace he was at: 35 secs reduction, 25 for the 3x3x3 stage.

wow. I didnt think it was possible to be sub 1 on 4x4 with 25s 3x3 stage. That reduction is really good. 35 is like my reduction times

SenorJuan

I was impressed by Chris' times, especially considering things like: Poor cubes (likely a Rubiks Revenge), his centres method isn't considered the fastest (it's subjective, but Pochmanns method seems a bit quicker), and some of his pairing methods are 'odd'. Particularly the 'last two dedges' technique where they need swapping 'cross-over'. He flips a dedge, does a slice, flips again and slices back. It seems easier to do R2 to put them diagonally, then (dD)2, flip the dedge, (dD)2 to finish.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
He flips a dedge, does a slice, flips again and slices back. It seems easier to do R2 to put them diagonally, then (dD)2, flip the dedge, (dD)2 to finish.
If you use Yau or Hoya, that breaks your cross, you have to do U(') R2 to restore, and its less ergonomic with those double moves. Given that flipping an edge is fast, I prefer to flip, slice, flip. It's personal preference of course.

I'm not familiar with Hardwick's or Pochmann's original methods, but the modern approaches are Yau or Hoya, with 3-2-3 or 6-2 edge pairing or similar. Definitely look to those resources first.

SenorJuan

True, my comments were specifically about plain reduction (which Chris used in his guide) as that was what OLLiver was asking about. Chris does say he generally avoids diagonal pairing ( ie. ones needing (dD)2 moves) and I can see why. But this particular two-dedge solve is more likely to be the last two dedges, where issues like checking that other edge-pieces aren't in awkward slots etc don't occur.
It's probably worth OLLiver practicing plain reduction a bit more (he's not done many solves), just to improve his basic skills, then apply them to more modern methods like Yau.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
True, my comments were specifically about plain reduction (which Chris used in his guide) as that was what OLLiver was asking about.
Oh, I though he was asking how to get faster, in which case my advice would echo several others here, and that is to forget plain reduction and look at Yau or Hoya. They are both forms of reduction anyway, aimed at making it easier and/or more efficient.

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
True, my comments were specifically about plain reduction (which Chris used in his guide) as that was what OLLiver was asking about. Chris does say he generally avoids diagonal pairing ( ie. ones needing (dD)2 moves) and I can see why. But this particular two-dedge solve is more likely to be the last two dedges, where issues like checking that other edge-pieces aren't in awkward slots etc don't occur.
It's probably worth OLLiver practicing plain reduction a bit more (he's not done many solves), just to improve his basic skills, then apply them to more modern methods like Yau.

Yau only advantage is that you complete cross first right? I have tried yau and It kinda bleh. can reduction be sub 45 relatively easily?

Aaron Lau

Yau only advantage is that you complete cross first right? I have tried yau and It kinda bleh. can reduction be sub 45 relatively easily?

nope the lookahead is much better esp on edges. eventhough i average 1.05-1.10 i can easily get edges done in in 12s.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Hoya ATM and average around 1:30-1:35
F4C: 10-15
F4E/L2C: 25
L8E: 20-30 (it's the lower one if I solve cross+1 edge)
3x3x3: 30

What should I work on?

(I've only been doing Hoya for about 2 days so far but I love the lookahead compared to Yau, straight redux or Meyer- I haven't gotten around to K4 yet).