• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Hoya ATM and average around 1:30-1:35
F4C: 10-15
F4E/L2C: 25
L8E: 20-30 (it's the lower one if I solve cross+1 edge)
3x3x3: 30

What should I work on?

(I've only been doing Hoya for about 2 days so far but I love the lookahead compared to Yau, straight redux or Meyer- I haven't gotten around to K4 yet).

A while ago I did some analysis of fast solves and worked out the splits. There aren't enough Hoya reconstructions around so this is mostly extrapolated from Yau/redux solves, but at least it gives something to aim for.
  • 18% - F4C
  • 19% - F4E & cross
  • 4% - L2C
  • 20% - L8E
  • 39% - 3x3

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone come up with any good tips/drills for F3E in Yau?

What should I work on most?

F2C: 6/6
F3E: 14/20
L4C: 14/34
L8E: 16/50
3x3: 25/1:15

I'm guessing 3x3 cause it's all pretty much intuitive F2L and COLL/EPLL cause I don't even CFOP.

Last edited:

Tanish

WCA
2015AGAR11
4x4 help

so i recently got a 4x4 and i average 2:50 using the beginners method- first the centers, then one edge at a time, and then 3x3 stage
can u tell me how i should improve on 4x4
my edges take up a lot of time; and many a times when i reach the 3x3 stage the centers which earlier were opposite to each other, they become adjacent. so this also take up a lot of time
also can u tell me what exactly the reduction method is, and should i start doing freestyle edges

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
so i recently got a 4x4 and i average 2:50 using the beginners method- first the centers, then one edge at a time, and then 3x3 stage
can u tell me how i should improve on 4x4
my edges take up a lot of time; and many a times when i reach the 3x3 stage the centers which earlier were opposite to each other, they become adjacent. so this also take up a lot of time
also can u tell me what exactly the reduction method is, and should i start doing freestyle edges

Reduction is any form of method which reduces a larger cube to working like a smaller one (such as a 4x4 or bigger to a 3x3).

On 4x4 the technique that most people use to pair edges is called 3-2-3 edge pairing although most start out with 6-2. If you search for that or freeslice edges(although this is normally bigger cubes) you'll be able to find some very good tutorials on YouTube about them.

Tanish

WCA
2015AGAR11
i searched up 3-2-3 and 6-2, but they are for yau
so should i start learning an advanced method or for some time just continue with the reduction and practice to get sub 2 minutes

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
i searched up 3-2-3 and 6-2, but they are for yau
so should i start learning an advanced method or for some time just continue with the reduction and practice to get sub 2 minutes

The principles of 3-2-3 or 6-2 can be extended to any style of reduction (ie multiple edges can be paired with one slice). So you can just try "domino paring" which is essentially the above being extended.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to look at some more "advanced" methods just to get a feel for what there is.

WCA
2015NADA01
Hi, I have a problem with 3-2-3 edge pairing.

When I'm doing the first 3, I slice, put in the first edge that will pair up with the other one I moved by slicing, but then I notice that the edge that I have to put in the next slot is in the one before, which is already occupied by the edge I moved when I sliced.
Can anyone help me with this or did I fail to explain myself?

Sent from my Z00D using Tapatalk

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I have a problem with 3-2-3 edge pairing.

When I'm doing the first 3, I slice, put in the first edge that will pair up with the other one I moved by slicing, but then I notice that the edge that I have to put in the next slot is in the one before, which is already occupied by the edge I moved when I sliced.
Can anyone help me with this or did I fail to explain myself?

Sent from my Z00D using Tapatalk

Its an annoying case. Just do a 2 pairing on both of the edges then slice and do the last 3as normal