• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Updates to Rubix program

peterbone

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've made some improvements to my Rubik's simulator program. The latest version can be downloaded from here
http://pbone.it-mate.co.uk/rubix.htm

The improvements include:
- Keyboard control for rotating the entire cube in multiples of 90 degrees (ie, rotate all layers)
- Keyboard control for rotating a layer/layers by 180 degrees
- Move counter (with some intelligence)
- Improved graphics (specular reflections and anti-aliasing options)
- Image capture feature with Bitmap, JPeg and PNG support (PNG supports transparent background)
- Default face colours are set to the Western standard but can still be modified

Tell me what you think.
Pete

peterbone

YouTube
Visit Channel
@MrIndianTeen, Glad you like it. I can't replicate the problem you have with the 2x2x2. Bare in mind that you have to jumble the cube first to do a timed solve.
Edit: Does the message window pop up saying that the cube is solved?

Last edited:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pretty cool, I like looking at the higher order cubes, just to see how crazy they are.
One wee thing though, the established terminology is 'scramble' instead of 'jumble'.

peterbone

YouTube
Visit Channel
@ben1996123, That's what it does already. The timer won't start until you turn a layer. Are you sure it's doing that?
Edit: I just realised that the timer will start if you're using the shift key to turn the whole cube. Maybe that's what you were doing. I've now fixed it and re-uploaded. Thanks.
@Godmil, OK, I'll change the word. Thanks
Edit: Done also.

Last edited:

tociva

Very nice program, I love it even more than Gabbasoft which was my previous favourite cube simulator. It can simulate cubes bigger than 20x20x20, it records a U2 move as 1 turn for example rather than 2 turns (which is how it's supposed to be), just to name a few features that make this a great program.

I have a suggestion though that'd make this program better than it already is; make the simulator record the solve, not really recording like a video, but rather as a series of move notations.

I've long been searching for a simulator like this. I found one earlier but its controls were really horrible. I believe it wasn't even in 3D, it showed the cube twice (one showed one side of the cube and the other showed a second side).