• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PuzzleStats beta timer released

puzzlestats

I haven't tried to install it on other distros. I suppose the steps are about the same. If you want you can try to install it on your own distro and post the results, that would be a big help.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You probably put quite some effort in this, but I don't like it at all. First of all there's the fact that you have to install it in your computer, and the timer seems to be overly complicated. Just too many stuffs going on in the window that we don't really need. The font size is pretty small too so I need to look closely to find the stats I want (not to mention the white font on grey/grey font on white layout). Also there's no best average of 5/12 in the stats, which is pretty important IMO.

Tall5001

Premium Member
WCA
2011METZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok so for using it a couple times i dont like it yet. First off the print is too small. I cant make it full screen because if i do it stays the same size just with grey around where i blew it up. The screen is too crowed. You dont need that much suff on there. I would like to use my stack mat with it because i hate solving with my laptops spacebar. the scrambles are hard to read i would like them to be centered and bigger so i can actually read them without getting 2 feet from my screen. I dont know how to make 2x2 4x4 5x5 Pyraminx scrambles with this. Thats what i practice with my 3x3 i dont want just a 3x3 timer. The idea is awesome but the graph and all the major stuff like brand method 3x3 all that should be in a tab so when u press "history" it will give u all that. The solving time is too small i enjoy looking up to see my time during oll when i know the alg and dont need to look but it was hard to see the small counting numbers. If i find anything else i will post it but thats all for now.

puzzlestats

You probably put quite some effort in this, but I don't like it at all. First of all there's the fact that you have to install it in your computer, and the timer seems to be overly complicated. Just too many stuffs going on in the window that we don't really need. The font size is pretty small too so I need to look closely to find the stats I want (not to mention the white font on grey/grey font on white layout). Also there's no best average of 5/12 in the stats, which is pretty important IMO.

ok thanks for your important feedback.

puzzlestats

ok so for using it a couple times i dont like it yet. First off the print is too small. I cant make it full screen because if i do it stays the same size just with grey around where i blew it up. The screen is too crowed. You dont need that much suff on there. I would like to use my stack mat with it because i hate solving with my laptops spacebar. the scrambles are hard to read i would like them to be centered and bigger so i can actually read them without getting 2 feet from my screen. I dont know how to make 2x2 4x4 5x5 Pyraminx scrambles with this. Thats what i practice with my 3x3 i dont want just a 3x3 timer. The idea is awesome but the graph and all the major stuff like brand method 3x3 all that should be in a tab so when u press "history" it will give u all that. The solving time is too small i enjoy looking up to see my time during oll when i know the alg and dont need to look but it was hard to see the small counting numbers. If i find anything else i will post it but thats all for now.

all right, I'll have all that in mind for the next release, these are PuzzelStats first feedbacks, thanks! Regarding other puzzles, you're right, i'll be implementing them too, I just had to publish one first beta release after so much development, and had only time for the 3x3. I'll let you all know when I post the new version.

puzzlestats

Can you also use it on other versions of Gnu/Linux besides ubuntu?
Also, what is it liscenced under? I can't find that information.

About the licence, you can read it when you are inside the program (there is a link on the upper-right corner), or during installation. It's basically freeware/donationware. I'll create a webpage with info about that. thanks for pointing that out.

MrIndianTeen

WCA
2011MANK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hi, can you post a screenshot? or give me the exact warning?

Yeah sure. I'll upload the video on here in about ten minutes.anyway, when you see the video you'll see the antivirus say, "Threat Found. PuzzleStats Puzzle Timer.." Then I will click on more details and it will say that the virus is WS Reputation.1. In the risk category it says, "few users, risk medium". That's what it says. I'll post the video here in a little while. By the way, this is for the windows 32-bit installer.

Last edited by a moderator:

puzzlestats

Please be more specific

My norton antivirus says there is a virus on it.

Your report is serious and urgent. Please provide specific information about Nortons warning. I just rescanned the installer, zip file and executable with Avast antivirus and it found NO threats. I have to find out if it is a false positive, or a valid detection. In case it is a virus that only Norton's Antivirus software detects, the information you provide to us (virus name, screenshot) is crucial to prevent further problems.

thank you in advance

Has any one else got antivirus warnings???

MrIndianTeen

WCA
2011MANK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your report is serious and urgent. Please provide specific information about Nortons warning. I just rescanned the installer, zip file and executable with Avast antivirus and it found NO threats. I have to find out if it is a false positive, or a valid detection. In case it is a virus that only Norton's Antivirus software detects, the information you provide to us (virus name, screenshot) is crucial to prevent further problems.

thank you in advance

Has any one else got antivirus warnings???

please read my post that has the video above.

puzzlestats

Yeah sure. I'll upload the video on here in about ten minutes.anyway, when you see the video you'll see the antivirus say, "Threat Found. PuzzleStats Puzzle Timer.." Then I will click on more details and it will say that the virus is WS Reputation.1. In the risk category it says, "few users, risk medium". That's what it says. I'll post the video here in a little while. By the way, this is for the windows 32-bit installer.

Ok, what an unlucky start for my software... this is not fair by Symmantec. I just found out this is a false positive. The WS Reputation.1 is not a virus per se, but a black list based on reputation. I don't know why my this happened to my software, but I can state that it's not a virus, malware, trojan, whatever. These last months I have made a lot of effort to provide you with an alternative for a puzzle solving timer, not a virus. I will post a video on Youtube.com where you can read what Symmantec's web site has to say about this "threat". They recognize that there can be false positives. As a matter of fact they even have 2 web forms one for requesting a white-listing, and another for disputing a false positive. In that video you can even see how I fill in their white-list request web form. I hope It does not take too long for them to white-list PuzzleStats.

Last edited:

puzzlestats

My norton antivirus says there is a virus on it.

hi, I investigated a bit, it turned out to be a false positive. I requested Symmantec to white list PuzzleStats, it takes about 3 weeks or so. Anyhow, as suggested at Symmantec's site ("The web based service VirusTotal can produce a SHA256 value. Simply upload the file to virustotal.com and a SHA256 value will be returned."), you can check virustotal.com using this link http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=525fbe439b1b6b4186ca54cc2fc341738b6 aab1af8e8081f7331c0c9758dd539-1301296157 and verify that most antivirus software do not find any threat at all. I also posted a youtube video where I display info about this WSReputation.1. false positive, and request to be white listed.

I must say, PuzzleStats is no virus, you can safely install and use it, if you want, you can wait until Symmantec has white-listed it if you don't trust. It is really not fair that Symmantec's products fail in this matter and damage my program's reputation, specially on the release.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrIndianTeen

WCA
2011MANK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks a lot for this. Rest assured that the timers credibilty will not be influenced to me. Also, I will be making a major timer review on my channel for every one who wondering what timer to get. I'll post a thread about it ASAP. Again, I don't need extra reassurance from Norton. They deserve a major :fp.