• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The "Parkhurst Mod" DaYan+mf8+LanLan? see for yourself

TheManInBlack

Banned
How the "Parkhurst Mod" was invented

A couple days ago I received my new DaYan+mf8 and was displeased. The outer layers were amazing and the inner layers were terrible. I threw the cube in with the rest of my cubes and continued shopping for another 4x4x4, pissed about how much money I had just wasted.

Everything changed when my cat knocked it off my desk,(FYI it exploded into a million pieces) After finding all the pieces i examined the core, and to my surprise it looked really weird. After deciding the tension was set to low I decided to loosen it "Tightening it wouldn’t have helped" i started with the large black caps and to my surprise it just flopped right off. After removing all these caps it revealed the 2x2x2 core used in east sheens and such. This was quite interesting to me,

I decided to pop some silicone in it, but that only made it worse. Then an idea popped into my head. How about I use my Broken LanLan. I popped the edges of the LanLan into the DaYan+mf8 and noticed very little improvement. My next step was to shave the corners defections off. Once achieved i still noticed that that didn’t have much to say. I was thing to my-self (Why is this core so crappy?) Then I stared at the screw&springs on the LanLan and a big smile crept into my face

I replaced the DaYan+mf8 screws and voila, perfection at its best. Once I put the cube together I gave it a couple twist, a smile could easily be seen as i was twisting the middle layer. In fact I went to show my grandma, only to have it shatter into a million pieces.

I put it back together and tightened the screw and springs intensively and now, if you will believe me. I have experienced no pops what so ever, great movement, unbeatable quality. corner cutting crazyness

Read Below for instructions about the mod.

Steps One: Completely disassemble your cube and remove the black caps, these caps must be removed for easy access to the internals

Step Two: Once you have the inside core, disassemble that as well, (Its just like any other speed 2x2x2)

Step Three: Remove the screws and springs from the LanLan and transfer it to your DaYan+mf8

Step Four: Take the corners (From the 2x2x2 looking core) and take of any imperfections. This is a key step as the corner pieces are pretty rough

Step Five: Remove the edge pieces that came with your 4x4x4, (They are crap) and replace them with the LanLan's.

Step Six: reassemble your cube.

TIPS

Really tighten your cube and make adjustments from there, popping will be eliminated and your new AMAZING 4x4x4 will be complete with even turning capabilities. Enjoy and post a vid showing your new modified 4x4x4, which will most likely be your "Main" speedcube when it comes to the 4x4x4.

PLEASE PAY RESPECT TO ME, if you decide to post your mod video please use my name

"The Parkhurst Mod"

but the new cube name will be

DaYan+mf8+LanLan

enjoy your new speedcube, You wont be dissapointed,

(I "The Man In Black" or AKA Zackery Parkhurst is not responsible for any damadge caused to your cube, Do this mod at your own expense)

Please make videos about this as i am eager to hear your reactions, Thanks.

Last edited:

TheManInBlack

Banned
Can we have a video demo of it? It'll be more convicing.

Yes a video of the Parkhurst mod is being developed right now, just gotta get done with school first. since im in 11th grade ill be off earlier than most kids since I am ahead in credits. What would you like to see in the video the core pieces? The core? what convincing elements would you like to see.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
While this could be an improvement, you should know it will be difficult for people to take you seriously when you admit to instantly throwing a new cube aside without even trying to break it in.

A couple days ago I received my new DaYan+mf8 and was displeased. The outer layers were amazing and the inner layers were terrible. I threw the cube in with the rest of my cubes and continued shopping for another 4x4x4, pissed about how much money I had just wasted.

I don't even own a dayan+mf8 and I know that it needs to be broken in.

TheManInBlack

Banned
While this could be an improvement, you should know it will be difficult for people to take you seriously when you admit to instantly throwing a new cube aside without even trying to break it in.

I don't even own a dayan+mf8 and I know that it needs to be broken in.

The main problem i found with this cube was the screw and the springs, it cause a weird friction when you twisted it, causing the middle layers to feel "Slower" than the outer layers. Breaking it in is a possiblity, but with the terrible springs and screw used you are still going to have that problem for a while. Also popping occurs less because of the improved screw spring mech. Also scraping away excess will prolong the life of your cube.

All in all if you have the materials I would recommend the "Parkhurst" Mod. This cube is flipping amazing now, it feels like a DaYan Guhong in my hands :D

TheManInBlack

Banned
As said earlier, a video will be nice :). Especially one of it turning.

Yeah i know, Im working on it, just wanted to post a tutorial on how to do it if people were impatient and could not wait on the video. should be uploaded sometime today so keep a keen eye on this post if your interested

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Silicone made your cube worse? I find that unlikely. There may not have been much improvement but you saying your cube got worse made me a little skeptical from the start. Hit the inner core with Lubix. The Dayans biggest advantage as a 4x4 is it's inner layers.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Wow, this might be worth trying out if it wasn't for your inability to make the cube perform well without doing this.

I disassembled fully, slightly sanded imperfections and reassembled while lubing.
It was amazing without even having to break it in.

Last edited:

TheManInBlack

Banned
Silicone made your cube worse? I find that unlikely. There may not have been much improvement but you saying your cube got worse made me a little skeptical from the start. Hit the inner core with Lubix. The Dayans biggest advantage as a 4x4 is it's inner layers.

Lol, Yeah i didn't note any significant change when i first put silicone in the 2x2x2 core thing, it just felt groggy. After further inspection i noticed that the screw and springs were catching on the plastic center caps and figured thats where the problem was.(Tensioning did not change much) This problem most likely led to popping&locking issues. Once they were replaced with the LanLan screw and springs the center cap did not catch on the screw and springs and lubricating it with silicone had a much better effect.

Also replacing the edges improved the core turning ability and shaving the corners like that of a V-cube 5 mod improved turning all in all. The middle layer turns like butter, so do the outside layer. I ran into some problems getting the videos up so wait another day or two

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for the bump, but I know I would get even more trolling if I created a whole new thread for this.

I just made a video tutorial for this mod. It works amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pandadudex96

WCA
2010WONG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for the bump, but I know I would get even more trolling if I created a whole new thread for this.

I just made a video tutorial for this mod. It works amazing!

i don't think loosening the shells is good because it would get really fragile and will break really fast... all the tensions should come from the core :D

Last edited by a moderator:

aminayuko

I loosened the shells 1/8 of a turn looser from the tightest it can be. Any looser and it pops. But its fine like this :)
i have actually seen problems with just loosening the shell screws. they sometimes continue loosening on their own and the threads become uneven.

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To make my DaYan 4x4 fast I actually had to replace the inner core with my extra C4U core because the core I got with my cube had an arm that was too long. I just tensioned the inner core and lubix'ed it, then I just put a lot of lubix in the actual cube once it was assembled and the cube is amazing now.

daniel0731ex

err, this mod is basically the same as cutting the springs that a lot of people have been doing for a while. It's nothing new, not even as an application on the DY/mf8 4x4, as most people would've thought of it when first disassembling it.

I know this thread is posted 5 months ago, but it's still not a new discovery even then.