• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Looking to Create a Sexy Method Video Tutorial

AndrewRocks

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have rented a tripod and HD Camera with the intent to film a somewhat professional Sexy Method tutorial. I plan to use Dan Brown's video as inspiration, and use his camera angle and do a voice over rather than speaking on camera. This way, users can go between the two videos without a huge difference. The basis of the script is simply a rewrite of the available written tutorial, again, so users can go between the video and written tutorial. I will be adding additional dialog for comic relief as well as clarify on a few points I found to be confusing in the tutorial.

I am looking for any helpful advice, comments or ideas regarding the video. My goal is to make the video less than 10 minutes in length and not require knowledge of cube notation. I need t learn how to insert a graphic on screen in Windows Movie Maker, if anyone has a tutorial that would be helpful.

I will of course link to and give credit to Dan Brown's video and the Sexy Method tutorial.

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Hi Andrew, I'd certainly be interested in seeing a video tutorial for the sexy method ;-)

The tutorial has a new 'explanatory' version which may help to clarify some of the less obvious steps. I would recommend choosing fixed colours for the top/bottom to allow the use of colours when making references to pieces. For example, using white on the bottom face, it is possible to refer to a piece belonging in the bottom layer as a 'piece with one white sticker', or an edge which belongs in the middle layer as an 'edge with no yellow or white sticker' etc.

Avoiding the use of cube notation is a good idea. That is one of the method's main selling points for beginners.

Last edited:

TiLiMayor

WCA
2011VARG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been asked to do a tutorial several times and my intention was to do it for the sexy method so it doesn't need much memorization, and of course make it in Spanish so it can be easily understood by my cubing enthusiasts.

AndrewRocks

YouTube
Visit Channel
@TiLiMayor Perhaps if my video is to your expectations of quality you could provide the Spanish translation for the subtitles. Or better yet, a voice over.

@Cride, I agree, I will be intentionally teaching users to start with the white face like Dan Brown's video. Not only will this increase the ease of transition but it will make explanations easier.

aridus

Hmm. I'd say definitely make it clear what you are trying to explain. Admittedly I haven't watched these videos, but I just looked up instructions for how to solve using this method and I couldn't wrap my head around it, the language was way too confusing. I couldn't even manage one solve by following it, while I immediately understood Fridrich. I guess what I'm saying is don't try to "dumb it down" to the point where it loses focus entirely.