• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

Gnad

What i need is algs to shoot to BU/FU/BD.
Simple setup moves 3-cycles for BU/FU/BD only works if the edge follows it is not on M slice. If both targets are on M slice, i think we need to learn around 10 3-cycles algs for 24 cases. I hope it's not what you mean.

Last edited:

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Simple setup moves 3-cycles for BU/FU/BD only works if the edge follows it is not on M slice. If both targets are on M slice, i think we need to learn around 10 3-cycles algs for 24 cases. I hope it's not what you mean.

I dont understand what you mean but I'll give you a few examles of what I mean and hope yiu understand it from there:

1) lets say your next 2 targets are UL and BU. Now you could solve with normal M2 and shoot to UL and then to FU and use a gazillion moves. BUT you could also just do U move and "change the targets" which now become UL-> UB and BU-> RU and now you can solve both edges in lnly 8 moves + 1 setup move (that U move you just did) M2 B' R B M2 B'R' B and then just undo setup by doing U'

2) Now lets give you targets FU and FL.
Now you can do setup move U again to change FU -> LU and just solve with M2 by shooting to LU (BL'B'M2BLB') and then to FL (U'L'UM2U'LU) And finally just do U' to undo the first setup move you did.
BUT you can do even better with this case by choosing setup moves L' U so you change FU-> LU and LU-> UB and now you can again solve both targets in 8 moves (BL'B'M2BLB'M2) and the undo setup moves U' L.

Hope this helps you to understand why you dont need algs for M2 and how uou can save many moves with simple 1-2 mlve setups :) Thats the first step towards 3-style solving. As you improve you can add more and more of these "tricks" to your solves...

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

No, that's not quite what we mean. It is possible to shoot to two M slice targets in a row using advanced M2 (which is what tseitsei was talking about). I'll give you an example:

Setup: U' M U' M U2' M' U' M' U

You need to shoot to FU and then BU. With advanced M2, what you would do is do a U as a setup move, moving the two targets out of the M slice. This changes the targets FU and BU into the targets LU and RU, which you would solve like this:

U //setup move
x' U L' U' M2' U L U' x //shoot to LU (FU)
x' U' R U M2' U' R' U x //shoot to RU (BU)
U' //undo setup move

view at alg.cubing.net

I would recommend having a look at Zane's advanced M2 tutorial for a more detailed explanation, but that's the gist of it. It's really not that "advanced" - many people find it easier than normal M2. It's just a lot more efficient.

Edit:Wait. I see that Zane says that you can only use if one edge is outside of the M slice. Well, that's not necessarily true, and I hope my example shows that. My bad for not actually watching his tutorial.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont understand what you mean but I'll give you a few examles of what I mean and hope yiu understand it from there:

1) lets say your next 2 targets are UL and BU. Now you could solve with normal M2 and shoot to UL and then to FU and use a gazillion moves. BUT you could also just do U move and "change the targets" which now become UL-> UB and BU-> RU and now you can solve both edges in lnly 8 moves + 1 setup move (that U move you just did) M2 B' R B M2 B'R' B and then just undo setup by doing U'

2) Now lets give you targets FU and FL.
Now you can do setup move U again to change FU -> LU and just solve with M2 by shooting to LU (BL'B'M2BLB') and then to FL (U'L'UM2U'LU) And finally just do U' to undo the first setup move you did.
BUT you can do even better with this case by choosing setup moves L' U so you change FU-> LU and LU-> UB and now you can again solve both targets in 8 moves (BL'B'M2BLB'M2) and the undo setup moves U' L.

Hope this helps you to understand why you dont need algs for M2 and how uou can save many moves with simple 1-2 mlve setups :) Thats the first step towards 3-style solving. As you improve you can add more and more of these "tricks" to your solves...

That's a very useful post. My M2 just got a little more advanced. Thanks.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Good tips for on forgetting memo? (4bld,5bld)
Less visualization and memo faster. You'll also forget faster that way.

And when should I start learning comms? (Corners/edges/centers) because my accuracy on 3 and 4bld is quite bad, so comms would make it even worse (Avg 3bld: 1:30-1:40, 4bld 9:30)

Start as soon as possible is always my advice. No point in spending time getting faster with inferior method if you can instead use that time to get faster with superior method...
It will MOMENTARILY slow down your improvement but I believe that in the long run it will be better for your times...