• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Suggestion] Newsletter

Someonelse

Hi,
actually I'm not an active member this forum because I'm not English, but I use the Wiki, sometimes google brings me here and I also got a newsletter yesterday.

For those who don't receive the newsletter, here is it:
Hello Someonelse,
This newsletter contains some general speedsolving updates and happenings through February, 2011.
Speedsolving.com News/Happenings
11,700 Registered Users
Speedsolving.com has nearly 12,000 registered members, and 515,000 posts. There is a lot information, so be sure to search before making a post, as it is very likely that your question/topic has already been asked/created.
Responding to Spam
Please only reply to a speedsolving question/concern if you have something of value to add. Don't reply to spam posts. If you notice a post that you think is inappropriate, please use the "Report" button below that post and one of the moderators will take care of it.
Read the Rules
Please read the rules if you haven't done so (click here to read them). These rules are being enforced on the forum, so make sure you're aware of them.
Speedsolving.com Premium Membership
Premium members get various extra features and at the same time support Speedsolving.com to help it grow. More information about becoming a premium member can be found here.
Contribute to the Speedsolving.com Wiki
There is a speedsolving wiki here. Don't know what it is? Check out the about page here. Feel free to contribute and help grow the already large amount of information there.
Compete in the Forum Competitions
Interested in competing online at home with other Speedsolving.com members? Visit the Competition Area for weekly and monthly scrambles and compare your times with other members.
Interviews
If you haven't yet seen the interviews section, be sure to check it out here. Each month we interview a puzzle solver in order to give people more insight into their hobby of speedsolving.
Advertise
Help support Speedsolving.com and advertise Speedsolving.com in your YouTube videos. In the description of your video, simply link to http://www.speedsolving.com. You can also link to Speedsolving.com on your webpage; visit the 'Link to Speedsolving.com' page for more details.
CubeCast Podcast
Like cubing? Like the radio? Check out the CubeCast Podcast to listen to interviews with members of the speedcubing community.
Click Here to See the WCA Results and Competitions Feed

See full results, rankings, upcoming and past competitions, and more at the World Cube Association.
Thank you to all the members who have made Speedsolving.com what it is today. If you have any suggestions/recommendations/complaints about the site, please post it in the Help/Suggestions forum on Speedsolving.com.

Speedsolving.com Administration

As you can see, the Mail consists mainly of useless stuff nobody would call "News". For some reason, I don't have older Newsletters (is this the first one?) so I cant compare it to others.

I totally understand the points about advertising, premium and the podcast, but why do the speedsolving.com Administration ask me to read the rules or not to feed the troll? That's something I really never ever have read before in an E-Mail

I believe that you'll understand my problem so I don't have to explain further, maybe it upsets you, too.

So my suggestion is:
Put more effort in the newsletter or throw it away. Maybe summarize records of the month or write something about new cubes like lingyun, x-cube or whatever.

What do you think?

hdgdl,
Someonelse

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The newsletters were discontinued a while back for some reason (time consumption?), so I'm assuming that this is just a friendly reminder to members that might not have visited in a bit that things may have changed a little around SpeedSolving.com (the wiki has been reformatted/integrated, the podcast is fairly main-stream, some rules have changed, etc)

Someonelse

ok, thx i guess its not important anyway.
news section for the forum might be better for most users anyway (if there isnt any already)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I think he's interested in receiving a newsletter, but only if it had more actual content in it.
I expect it to get better over time. It is more to keep the community up to date with the site and the happenings in the speedcubing community in general. Many people don't browse the forum regularly, but would be interested in getting updates on new records, upcoming competitions, etc.

I understand that many people have no interest, hence why they can unsubscribe at anytime. And if you change your mind later, you can re-subscribe anytime.