• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
I think It would be better if they gave 2-3 minutes for each Cube no matter how many you pick

I agree that this is a stupid idea BUT it would be interesting to see how many cubes Maskow could solve using this time limit :D
In his wr 41/41 he only uses less than 1:30 per cube so he could obviously do more but by how much?

And yeah current system is quite good I think because even with VERY slow turning you can easily do 3bld in sub-1 and if you can just keep the same memo speed for the whole hour you can solve 60/60. So as you can see it REALLY is about the speed of your memory and not so much the speed of your fingers. Obviously that helps some BUT memo is so much more significant and also being able to recall the whole memo without pauses... Saying that you need to turn fast in MBLD is just stupid...

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
you could easily do 3bld sub-1

Haha, I can't even execute sub 1 with fast turning. Maybe you mean Maskow can easily do sub 1 3BLD with very slow turning, which I don't doubt. If you use 3 syle and can memo in 12 seconds, that's not too hard. But if you use OP, that's a little difficult.

CuberM

WCA
2014HOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help! Let's say in this case, the buffer color is orange and white. When you're memorizing, you see that the orange and white edge goes into the buffer spot. I know you're supposed to put the buffer into an unsolved piece, but it is hard to find an unsolved piece when your memorizing. Any advice? Thanks.

Sessinator

WCA
2009CADM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help! Let's say in this case, the buffer color is orange and white. When you're memorizing, you see that the orange and white edge goes into the buffer spot. I know you're supposed to put the buffer into an unsolved piece, but it is hard to find an unsolved piece when your memorizing. Any advice? Thanks.

For 3BLD, you could have a few "go-to" pieces to shoot to/check if they are solved. For example, I always try to break into a piece that belongs on the M-slice, unless all the M-slice pieces are solved. With more practice it becomes a lot easier to tell which pieces still need to be cycled and which ones have already been solved with a quick look around the cube.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Haha, I can't even execute sub 1 with fast turning. Maybe you mean Maskow can easily do sub 1 3BLD with very slow turning, which I don't doubt. If you use 3 syle and can memo in 12 seconds, that's not too hard. But if you use OP, that's a little difficult.

Execution is so much more about recalling pauselessly and immediatly knowing what comm/alg to do next than fast fingers... And yes ofcourse you need to be able to memo fast to be able to do sub-1, but that's "the speed of the mind" that you said MBLD should be about :)

Also saying "I can't do it because I use OP" is like saying "I can't get sub-20 because I use layer by layer with beginner last layer". You can learn commutators and practise and then be able to do sub-1 with slow turning. No fast fingers needed.

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just started taking 3BLD seriously and learning speffz memo; I have known Old Pochmann for a long time, but I never figured out a good memo system. I just started watching Noah's CubingWorld videos on How to Solve a 3x3 Blindfolded and learned the Speffz letter system. To get used to it, I started timing blind solves for just the corners, but I'm having a lot of trouble with starting new cycles because I always get confused with the orientation of the buffer piece and remembering its orientation in that location later when I shoot to its location later in the solve. Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of new cycles in a solve? Is there anything I can do to better track the buffer piece around the cube?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just started taking 3BLD seriously and learning speffz memo; I have known Old Pochmann for a long time, but I never figured out a good memo system. I just started watching Noah's CubingWorld videos on How to Solve a 3x3 Blindfolded and learned the Speffz letter system. To get used to it, I started timing blind solves for just the corners, but I'm having a lot of trouble with starting new cycles because I always get confused with the orientation of the buffer piece and remembering its orientation in that location later when I shoot to its location later in the solve. Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of new cycles in a solve? Is there anything I can do to better track the buffer piece around the cube?
Ignore the orientation of the buffer piece. You don't need to know it. If you have an odd number of edges to flip during memo, the other flipped edge (or twisted corner) will be the buffer, and if you have an even number of edges to flip then the buffer will be oriented. You shouldn't need to memorise the orientation of the buffer piece - just remember an even number of edges need to be flipped!

CuberM

WCA
2014HOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a website for some images that can come to mind for color pairs? I have found many of them myself, but some I just can't seem to get. I have been trying many different methods right now, just to see if anyone is better than letter pairs. So is there a website that lists some things that can come to mind with certain colors?
Thanks.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a website for some images that can come to mind for color pairs? I have found many of them myself, but some I just can't seem to get. I have been trying many different methods right now, just to see if anyone is better than letter pairs. So is there a website that lists some things that can come to mind with certain colors?
Thanks.

Nothing is really better than letter pairs. I'm not sure what you mean by color pairs, but if you mean green-red-white, then that will make it much harder to remember because you could very easily transpose colors if you memoed something like Christmas. Just go with letter pairs and a lettering scheme, it takes a week or two to get used to your lettering scheme, but it makes it so much easier, you'll thank me in the end.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just don't understand how you solve the edges in the M slice.

You just use algs for those, and they're all relatively easy. I'll list mine, and the non-4 movers you can also use for 4BLD.

UB: M2
BU: B' U R' B U' M2 U B' R U' B
UF: U2 M' U2 M'
FU: F E' (R U R') E (R U' R') F'
DB: M U2 M U2
BD: F (R U R') E' (R U' R') E F'

Basically if your target is the second letter of a letter pair, you do the mirrored alg. (If you have FU, do the BD alg, if you have DB, do UF alg)