• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Raviorez

How do you hold your cube for BLD solving?

Hello everybody,

I will start with BLD solving but I really don't know how I should hold my cube when solving BLD.
I'm watching the tutorial of cubing world (Noahcubes) and can solve easily the corners blind, I stuck with M2, the edges. Advice?
Noah Arthurs holds his cube blue on top and red in front.
My questions:
1. How do you hold your Cube? Why?
2. What would you recommend for me? And why?

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
(...) and can solve easily the corners blind (...)

1. How do you hold your Cube? Why?
2. What would you recommend for me? And why?

You can solve the corners blind, but you don't have an orientation yet? What orientation did you use in your solves then?

1. I use yellow top, orange front because that's what Joel uses and I learned blind from his tutorial
2. Use what Noah uses. Because you are learning from him.

Raviorez

You can solve the corners blind, but you don't have an orientation yet? What orientation did you use in your solves then?

1. I use yellow top, orange front because that's what Joel uses and I learned blind from his tutorial
2. Use what Noah uses. Because you are learning from him.

I just memorized things like this: first UBL then RFD,... (took me a long time but I did :p)
I like the orientation Yellow on top and Blue on front (I'm a CFOP solver, white cross so I know really good the place of the stickers in that orientation)

I really stuck with M2 and I did some research for other methods.
Should I learn Classic Pochmann? Or 3-style? (I know it's the "most advanced" method but here they kind of recommend to learn immediately 3-style so)
Any opinions or help?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Twisted corners and flipped edges in bld

During execution, how will you know the orientation of a piece. An edge can be in two positions and a corner will be in three. How do you know the orientation?

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a database of commutator algs for 3-cycle anywhere? I know Noah recommends creating your own, but I'm having so much difficulty understanding, so maybe if I see some example algs, I'll be able to pick up some patterns.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
During execution, how will you know the orientation of a piece. An edge can be in two positions and a corner will be in three. How do you know the orientation?

You should've memo'd that.

Should I learn Classic Pochmann? Or 3-style? (I know it's the "most advanced" method but here they kind of recommend to learn immediately 3-style so)
Any opinions or help?

Learn Old Pochmann.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there anyone fast who uses TuRBo corners?

I recently learned all the algs, and did an ao100 of TuRBo corners sighted
number of times: 95/100
best time: 25.00
worst time: 1:53.22

current avg5: 36.30 (σ = 5.13)
best avg5: 30.26 (σ = 0.85)

current avg12: 35.82 (σ = 5.53)
best avg12: 35.66 (σ = 6.77)

current avg100: 47.89 (σ = 16.12)
best avg100: 47.89 (σ = 16.12)
Which is about twice as slow as my OP corners. Obviously using a new method is slower at first, but I'm wondering how long it takes to get faster with it than OP.
If anyone uses TuRBo it'd be cool if you enlightened me.

Also
My first 3BLD ao100 with TuRBo edges was over a minute slower than my ao100 with OP. The next ao100 was faster than OP.
But I feel like since corners have 3 orientations it'll take longer to adjust to.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha, yeah I'm too lazy for that at the moment.
Did you see my post a while ago that said I would learn 3-cycles "after this ao100"?

I'm just amazed with how great you are doing at MBLD, 4/5BLD, and you are around 1 minute 3BLD, which I didn't think was possible with OP. I guess your memo is just awesome.

I was going to work on commutators, but I'm still so terrible at memo, that I really need to work on a list. I realized most of my issues were trying to improvise words out of letter pairs while I am memoing.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess that will lead into my question. I'm currently building a spreadsheet for all combos. My goal is to have mostly people on the list. I think I will have to create people to fill in near the end, but I'd like to have as many real people as possible.

For Q(whatever): I will use people that go by one name (Bono, Madonna, etc...) any examples of those would be helpful
For (whatever)Q: I will use people with the same first and last initial, like Linsay Lohan, Ozzy Osbourne, again, examples would be helpful for these too.
For X(whatever): I'm thinking of creating pets that go by a single name, and using famous pets where I can (Clifford the big red dog, Garfield, etc)
For (whatever)X: I'm thinking I will use inanimate objects for these. Apples, bananas, etc... any other suggestions for these would be nice.

Cm_Hu

WCA
2011HUXI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone. I'm new to bld solving. I learnt M2/OP from Noah's video a week ago. I'm now around 6 minutes(4-5min memo,1.5min execute ). I know I should practice more on my memo, but I'm really curious about what method I should learn for comers. Can anyone tell me something about that?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone. I'm new to bld solving. I learnt M2/OP from Noah's video a week ago. I'm now around 6 minutes(4-5min memo,1.5min execute ). I know I should practice more on my memo, but I'm really curious about what method I should learn for comers. Can anyone tell me something about that?

Stick to audio sounds or one syllable words. Because the corners do not consist of a lot of information, you can use your short-term memory or the audio loop component of your working memory to memorize them quickly (as long as you can execute them quickly too.)

For example: AB CD EF could be memorize by repeating AB CaD EF as audio sounds once or twice and then executing them with OP. Imagine that you have 10s to remember a very short phone number.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess that will lead into my question. I'm currently building a spreadsheet for all combos. My goal is to have mostly people on the list. I think I will have to create people to fill in near the end, but I'd like to have as many real people as possible.

For Q(whatever): I will use people that go by one name (Bono, Madonna, etc...) any examples of those would be helpful
For (whatever)Q: I will use people with the same first and last initial, like Linsay Lohan, Ozzy Osbourne, again, examples would be helpful for these too.
For X(whatever): I'm thinking of creating pets that go by a single name, and using famous pets where I can (Clifford the big red dog, Garfield, etc)
For (whatever)X: I'm thinking I will use inanimate objects for these. Apples, bananas, etc... any other suggestions for these would be nice.
I wrote a relatively long reply that got deleted by my bad internet connection. But I'll strip it down.
For x(whatever) I use electrocuted(whatever), like the wiki. The problem with that is you can get it confused with normal (whatever). For example, Electrocuted cat (XC) might produce a similar image to just cat (CT). So whatever you do is up to you, but here's 2 examples of pets: "Snoopy" and "Blue" (Blues clues)
Above all though, making your own unique things from letter pairs will be the most memorable.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wrote a relatively long reply that got deleted by my bad internet connection. But I'll strip it down.
For x(whatever) I use electrocuted(whatever), like the wiki. The problem with that is you can get it confused with normal (whatever). For example, Electrocuted cat (XC) might produce a similar image to just cat (CT). So whatever you do is up to you, but here's 2 examples of pets: "Snoopy" and "Blue" (Blues clues)
Above all though, making your own unique things from letter pairs will be the most memorable.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions... I've got my table nearly full. U was tough, so I ended up using a lot of university mascots (UO = University of Oregon Duck). I'm going to go through and write some background stories for all the ones that I'm not intimately familiar with, to help me set up their personality quirks, and how they might interact with each other, which I think will give the story more immediate depth and allow it to stick in my memory better if I move onto multi-BLD... sounds a little weird, but it might be fun.

Knut

WCA
2016PETE11
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which R perm are you supposed to use for the parity in OP? I am still learning how to blindsolve, and I just did a solve (with parity) and I ended up with 6 pieces out of place. For the parity I did y (Ra perm) y'. Everything else in the solve seemed right. Did I just mess up, or was I using the wrong R perm?

Last edited:
I think you rotated the wrong way. Bear in mind, it's meant to swap the two edges swapped by a Y perm (UB and UL) and the two corners swapped by a T perm (UBR and UFR). You can also set up with U', rather than y'.