• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RageCuber

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am new to cubing, get 40 sec avg with begineers method. With F2L, I get about a minute. So I saw a video in where he said that for getting faster, try doing the cross with eyes closed. and then try F2L through memorisation. So how can I do these 2 simple tasks ?? Started cubing like 3 weeks back. Using some local cube I got from store. Ordered Moyu Weilong :)
Thanks in advance
wrong area to post, this is for blindfolded solving.

RageCuber

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am very, very, very new to bld, i can only do old pochmann edges first with eyes open.
i was solving and i couldn't find the right setup moves to orient and permute the edge. does the edge need
to be orientated as well as permuted?!?!?

cubemaste r

YouTube
Visit Channel
using M2 edges what do i do when i have UB or BU target and i have done an odd number of targets?
and also what is the speed for BLD to not be slow(like sub 40 on a 3X3)?

suushiemaniac

WCA
2012BILL01
For bigBLD, is there a simple trick (other than practice and gather experience) to find out whether I've memorized all wing targets? Just like some BLDers keep their fingers on centers, but I want this kind of trick for the wings.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
For bigBLD, is there a simple trick (other than practice and gather experience) to find out whether I've memorized all wing targets? Just like some BLDers keep their fingers on centers, but I want this kind of trick for the wings.

Count the number of targets and number of cycles.

#of targets + # of solved pieces - #of cycles = 22 if solving wings or centers (10 for edges/midges and 6 for corners)

So if you are solving 4x4 and you have 6 center pieces already solved when you start and you memo 17 targets all in one cycle then you have:
17 + 6 - 1 = 22 so you memoed everything

Same with wings. If you have one wing piece solved and you then memo 24 targets in 3 cycles you have:
24 + 1 -3 = 22 so everything was memoed

A Leman

I think of this as 1 +(number of letter targets)=24+(number of cycle breaks)-(number of solved pieces)
The 1 comes from the fact that The buffer will automatically be solved if everything else is solved.
The cycle break does not solve a piece so you need an extra letter to solve the 24 pieces.

so,
number of letter targets needed=23+(number of cycle breaks)-(number of solved pieces)

since I always use 3 letter pair images/per location, I know that 18 letters are memorized after the 3rd location.If I only check for this stuff after the 3rd location then,

# of letters after the 3rd location = 5+(number of cycle breaks)-(number of solved pieces)

In practice, If it is close to that then just go to the next piece set.

You also tend to notice solved pieces while you are inspecting the cube. If you need a system to count solved pieces that you see while you are not memorizing them, then you can come up with a counting method using your feet or posture.

Last edited:

Wooggle

M2 and r2 Center Error Help

I am learning M2 for 3x3 Blind and r2 for 4x4 Blind, but ever few solves, I run into a problem with the centers. The centers look like this:

3x3: http://oi43.tinypic.com/2l95xzr.jpg

4x4: http://oi44.tinypic.com/v63vas.jpg

I know how to solve this on the 3x3, but I don't know how to solve this on the 4x4. Does anyone know how to fix this on a 4x4.

More importantly, how do I recognize that this is going to happen before I do my solve? I am not sure how to recognize that this is going to happen.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
More importantly, how do I recognize that this is going to happen before I do my solve? I am not sure how to recognize that this is going to happen.
Count the number of M2s/r2s you've done. This can be done by memorising in letter pairs. If it's odd, then when solving the FU/BD pieces, then you have to solve that piece as if you were solving the other one of those pieces - the one that's an M2/r2 out. This is because you've done an odd number of M2s/r2s and so those positions are swapped. If you do this, then you'll never need to know how to solve these cases because you won't get them.

mande

WCA
2008MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am learning M2 for 3x3 Blind and r2 for 4x4 Blind, but ever few solves, I run into a problem with the centers. The centers look like this:

3x3: http://oi43.tinypic.com/2l95xzr.jpg

4x4: http://oi44.tinypic.com/v63vas.jpg

I know how to solve this on the 3x3, but I don't know how to solve this on the 4x4. Does anyone know how to fix this on a 4x4.

Elaborating on the above answer,
If you encounter these situations often, you are probably not shooting to UF(or FU)/DB(or BD) properly (shoot to UF is U2 M' U2 M' if even number of M2's have been done so far, and M U2 M U2 if odd). For 4x4 I use bad algs, so maybe its better if you get the alg from someone else, but the alg I use to shoot to BDr is r2 B U L U' r U L' U' r' B' if odd number of r2's, inverse if even (same algs work for FU and BD on 3x3)

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 4x4 I use bad algs, so maybe its better if you get the alg from someone else, but the alg I use to shoot to BDr is r2 B U L U' r U L' U' r' B' if odd number of r2's, inverse if even (same algs work for FU and BD on 3x3)
I use M2 F R U R' E R U R' E' F' (or M2 [F: [R U R',E]]) for BD and its inverse for FU on 3x3. The 4BLD equivalent is r2 F R U R' d R U' R' d' F'.

BoBoGuy

What letter scheme should I use for my corners and how do I memorize where the letters are if I use OP?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know i sound stupid,but what do you memorize? i mean, are you memorizing colours, or targets (eg. buffer to x position) plz help.
,Ragecuber

You're memorizing the order in which you're going to solve each piece. When you give each sticker (or target) a letter, and memorize ABCD you are memorizing the solving sequence. So you will solve A first, then B etc.

Another way to think about it is A needs to go into position B which needs to go into position C etc.

J

Jander Clerix

how can i insert from bottom to top without messin up the top layer? and maybe whithout cube rotation like x2