• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been working on BLD methods for a few days, and need help with memorizing my letter scheme. Any tips? Should I write on an old cube and use that to help me?

*Edit: Also, are there any ways to avoid letters completely?

Last edited:

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
I have been working on BLD methods for a few days, and need help with memorizing my letter scheme. Any tips? Should I write on an old cube and use that to help me?

*Edit: Also, are there any ways to avoid letters completely?

I wrote my letter scheme on my old cube when I started, but don't stick with it too long... You just really need to learn it by heart.

And of course there are ways o avoid letters, but you shouldn't use them because they suck pretty much(for most people at least). (for example visual/tapping or numbers or something like that)

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been trying to learn the boomerang method for BLD corners, but I seem to be stuck at the pre-orientation spot. Can someone explain the basic idea of this step? Or if there are any videos....couldn't find any....

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been trying to learn the boomerang method for BLD corners, but I seem to be stuck at the pre-orientation spot. Can someone explain the basic idea of this step? Or if there are any videos....couldn't find any....
Don't use Boomerang. It's cool, but it'll make memo very difficult if you try to change method.
If you do want to use Boomerang, then preorientation is twisting every corner so that the U/D sticker on it is facing U/D. For example:
R' D2 L B2 R D2 B2 R' D2 R2 D R' D' B2 D' L' D
To preorient from here, you'd do: x2 y (R U' R' U R U2' R' U2)2 x2 y. Notice how every corner is in exactly the same position it was in before, but every corner has been twisted.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Exactly what TDM said. The preorientation is to rotate every corner in its place so their U/D stickers match with the U/D centers - note that in this step you must not permute the corners (only orient them in their place!), and also you must not effect the edges.

Another example:
scramble: D2 L' B2 R B2 D2 R' F2 R2 F2 L F L F2 D2 R2 D2 R' F

solution:
twist downside corners (plus UBL): x2 y' (R U' R' U R' F R F')2 y x2
twist upside corners: F (R U R' U')2 F' R U R' U' M' U R U' r'

Compare the two states! (Before the solution and after the solution.)

If you want more explanation or example, send me a PM.

intheowetrust

WCA
2014FINK02
I have a quick question regarding the Old Pochmann method which I just started learning. When you have the correct piece in the buffer, but not all the edges are solved, you have to break into a new cycle, which swaps the buffer with an unsolved edge. Doesn't this alter the configuration of the remaining edges on the cube? And if so how does this affect memorization?
I hope that was all clear.
Thanks!

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a quick question regarding the Old Pochmann method which I just started learning. When you have the correct piece in the buffer, but not all the edges are solved, you have to break into a new cycle, which swaps the buffer with an unsolved edge. Doesn't this alter the configuration of the remaining edges on the cube? And if so how does this affect memorization?
I hope that was all clear.
Thanks!

It doesn't affect any other edges - you are only ever affecting the buffer edge and the edge sticker you are shooting to.

Say if I have a solved buffer and one cycle remaining (ABC). If I break into A, I can carry on as normal - I just have to remember to solve A at the end as well. So when you execute you will do (AB,CA)

intheowetrust

WCA
2014FINK02
Sorry I wasn't more clear. For example if I have a solved buffer, but not everything else solved so I shoot to UR, later on in my memorization when I get back up to the UR piece, won't I have to remember the UL and UR will be switched?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry I wasn't more clear. For example if I have a solved buffer, but not everything else solved so I shoot to UR, later on in my memorization when I get back up to the UR piece, won't I have to remember the UL and UR will be switched?

If my knowledge of OlPo is correct then the only time you'll have to remember that UL and UR might switched is when you are solving corners.

If you have swapped your buffer with a new unsolved edge, you must solve that edge at the end of the new cycle as well. So if I have the edges R, F and G left, I will solve R, then F, then G, then R again. Once that is done my buffer will be solved and so will those other edges.

Unless you are talking about parity?

J

Jander Clerix

1) I just learned 3 style but i'm using Ufr as buffer and i see that the most people use ubr or ubl as buffer is it really a disadvantage when using ufr and should i better switch to Ubl or ubr because for urf there is also no algorithm list on the net

2) I use triple sexy move to insert from bottom layer into top layer is thus the best way to do it?

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
1) I just learned 3 style but i'm using Ufr as buffer and i see that the most people use ubr or ubl as buffer is it really a disadvantage when using ufr and should i better switch to Ubl or ubr because for urf there is also no algorithm list on the net

2) I use triple sexy move to insert from bottom layer into top layer is thus the best way to do it?

1) The only disadvantage I can think of is that you can't find algs for hard/weird cases online that easily. But it's quite easy to just rotate/mirror other peoples algs and/or come up with your own algs

2) I use R' F' R2 F R

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I use UFL as my buffer. It makes parity a bit harder but I have special algs for it. There isn't a great deal of difference and I won't be switching to UBR or ULB any time soon

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a question that my have a few answers but oh well. In every BLD attempt I've done I've always had difficulty remembering what set-up moves I used and it has caused every attempt to be a failure. Is there anything that anyone could recommend to fix this?
Practise. You'll eventually become more consistent with which setup move you use for each case. Do sighted solves and/or corners/edges only scrambles from qqTimer if you don't feel confident with full attempts yet.

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to find if a corner has to be twisted CW or CCW?
If a corner has to be twisted, it has to already be in place right? Look at the centers and see how it has to rotate.
Also, imagine if your hand could twist it, what movement would it be. Looking at the hand's motion you can immediately see if it's clockwise or counterclockwise.

UB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am new to cubing, get 40 sec avg with begineers method. With F2L, I get about a minute. So I saw a video in where he said that for getting faster, try doing the cross with eyes closed. and then try F2L through memorisation. So how can I do these 2 simple tasks ?? Started cubing like 3 weeks back. Using some local cube I got from store. Ordered Moyu Weilong :)
Thanks in advance