• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BaconCuber

I'm thinking about learning blind, but I don't know a good video tutorial. I've tried several times without success with Badmephisto's tutorial. If there are none better than that, I'll try with his again.

A Leman

I have known some cases that are fast for 3style that I don''t use in solves because they are not based on commutators.

I want to make the switch to some of these MU cases, but I am worried about mistaking a U turn in execution or doing the wrong case by accident. I am talking about cycles like MUM'UMUM'U and M'UM'UMUM'UM2 which I would currently do as [y':MDM',U] and [x U2:M',ULU'] which are not as nice and need rotations. If someone could explain the thinking behind the MU cases so I could understand them in solves, then that would be great. Also, do other people have problems with cycles like this?

Applecow

WCA
2010LEHM02
i don't really like the MDM ones, but i have made up some other ones MU ones which are nice for these cases. i would have problems if i used them though.^^

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
MUM'UMUM'U

So you confuse UF>UR>BD and UF>UL>BD and their backwards.
1) If your first target is UL or UR, then you do U or U', putting this target to a buffer (U for UR, U' for UL). Then you do M and M' repeatedly, turning upper face in one direction.
2) If your first target is BD, then you do M, "putting" this target to a buffer, your next move will be U or U', but the logic is opposite to a previous case: you move a buffer into your second target (U for UL, U' for UR).

A Leman

So you confuse UF>UR>BD and UF>UL>BD and their backwards.
1) If your first target is UL or UR, then you do U or U', putting this target to a buffer (U for UR, U' for UL). Then you do M and M' repeatedly, turning upper face in one direction.
2) If your first target is BD, then you do M, "putting" this target to a buffer, your next move will be U or U', but the logic is opposite to a previous case: you move a buffer into your second target (U for UL, U' for UR).

Thank you this helped a bit. I normally think of putting the buffer into a target or the last target into the buffer so I didn't think of sticking the first target into the buffer. I think that I am going to switch the cases now.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
D2 L' D2 R2 F D' F' B' R2 L D2 F2 L2 U' B2 U R2 F2 U2 B2 R2
How I would solve the corners (using Boomerang):
x2 y' R' U R U2' R' U2' R' U' R U' R' U2 R U2' R U y x2
y' U' R U' R2' U' R U' R' U2' R' U2 R' U' R U' R2' y
D2 R2 U R2' U' R2 D2
D' R2 U R2' U' R2 D
M2' U2' M2' U' M2' U2' M2' U'
D R2 U R2' U' R2 D'
R2 U R2' U' R2
Odd number of cycles = parity
But when there's parity in Boomerang, UBR and UFL should be swapped. Which they aren't.
So is this parity or not?

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
D2 R2 U R2' U' R2 D2
D' R2 U R2' U' R2 D
D R2 U R2' U' R2 D'
R2 U R2' U' R2
But when there's parity in Boomerang, UBR and UFL should be swapped. Which they aren't.

Wtf. That's not boomerang. Boomerang uses triple sledgehammer not R2 U R2 U' R2. That messes up so much stuff.

hkpnkp

i have never tried blindfold cubing. how is it actually done / what are the methods used ?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok. You memorize where each piece needs to go, then you put them there. Use M2/OP
OP for edges may be easier as they already know the algs they need. You also don't have to remember where the M slice is. I know that the algs aren't difficult to learn for M2, but I found it easier when I first started learning BLD to know exactly what the algs I were using did.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
D2 R2 U R2' U' R2 D2
D' R2 U R2' U' R2 D
D R2 U R2' U' R2 D'
R2 U R2' U' R2

There isn't a parity.

Yes, you have to do odd number of cycles, but here is the trick: your UFL and UBR corner is actually swapped.
The side effect of the Boomerang is the UFL-UBR swap, so after odd number of swaps (odd number of targets), the UFL-UBR will be swapped.

You can see the same thing on Example 5.
http://renslay.byethost11.com/examples.html

Also this is mentioned in the "2 cycles" trick:

"Side effect only 2-cycle: Only one case remains... What if we have to swap UFL and UBR? Easy: do nothing! Just switch the parity case, so, if we solve the remaining corners with an even number of algorithms, then we have a parity (since UFL and UBR have to be swapped), and if we solve the remaining corners with an odd number of algorithms, then UFL and UBR is swapped, therefore solved: there is no parity. See Example 5."

Again: you have odd number of targets PLUS a single swap (UFL-UBR) = no parity.
"Solving the UFL-UBR swap" is the "do nothing" algorithm, because you have to do a double-swap: one is for solving UFL-UBR as targets, and one is for causing the side effect, as every swap does - but a double swap means nothing to do.

Rarely, but this can occur.

EDIT: a bit more explanation

example algorithms:
single swap UFR with DFR and cause side effect (swap UFL-UBR) = (F R' F' R)*3
single swap UFR with DFL and cause side effect (swap UFL-UBR) = D (F R' F' R)*3 D'
single swap DBL with DBR and cause side effect (swap UFL-UBR) = U2 F' R D R' F U2 F' R D' R' F (this is a shortcut: Adjacent downside 2-cycle)
single swap UFL with UBR and cause side effect (swap UFL-UBR) = do nothing

And every "single swap + side effect swap" is counted for determining the parity case, even the "do nothing" algorithm.
Therefore, in your case, it was not 5 algorithms (targets), but 6!

Last edited: