• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One answer BLD question thread blind

I'm also a beginner who does M2 edges with memo corners-edges and execute edges corners and audio memo is EASY, in fact, I can almost say it's not even memorizing.
Here's an example:
JF-NV-CD-BA-WG-D
This is the edges I just got from randomly scrambling the cube, to memo it all I did was:
1) Saw the first letter is J, looked for the second letter and got F, the word JefF easly pops to mind.
2) While repeating the word JefF in my mind I continued to look for the next 2 edges, I got N and V, the word NoVa is the first word I thought about.
3) I say "JefF NoVa" a few times while looking for the next 2 edges, I find C and D and I think of CoDe, now I just repeat JefF NoVa CoDe.
4) The next 2 edges are BA, I personally thought of BAd but there are many options here, BAt, BAll, BAck, BAse, whatever, now I got JefF NoVa CoDe BAd
5) This sentence isn't really hard to remember if you repeat it in your mind, the last few edges are always the hardest but they're not too bad either, now I get WG and I think of WaGe, I add it: JefF NoVa CoDe BAd WaGe
6) now the final letter is D, you can make up any word that starts with D or you can just simply remember that after you're done with the edges to do D and then fix parity.
7) Now that I got this long sentence, I repeat it about 2-3 times before I begin solving: JefF NoVa CoDe BAd WaGe D JefF NoVa CoDe BAd WaGe D JefF NoVa CoDe BAd WaGe D
8) I start solving, remember to never stop repeating this sentence while solving and remember to repeat all of it cause I sometimes repeat just the first few words and then the last ones are forgotten very easily.
9) Since in M2 you kinda solve in pairs, you start with the first word, J and F, you solve them, and now your sentence just got shorter: NoVa CoDe BAd WaGe D
10) You solve N and V, your sentence now is just CoDe BAd WaGe D, from this point it becomes VERY EASY, the words will stay in your mind even if you don't say them because of repeating them so many times in your mind before that, and they're very few words too.
11) Just solve CD, it's just BAd WaGe D now, solve B and A, solve W G, solve D, fix parity and try to remember the corner images you memorized a long time ago, because they were images you will remember them well.

The better you get with execution the easier memoing becomes because execution doesn't take any of your attention and focus, the better you get edges will also be faster and corner images will be fresher in your mind so remembering them won't be hard.

Very good explanation! My one piece of advice is to avoid two syllable words like NoVa, which will slow you down considerably once you're faster. I like to treat every two syllables as one entity, so I end up with three two syllable words (or gibberish). Having something that is two syllables fills time that could have 4 letters in it rather than just two.

omer

Very good explanation! My one piece of advice is to avoid two syllable words like NoVa, which will slow you down considerably once you're faster. I like to treat every two syllables as one entity, so I end up with three two syllable words (or gibberish). Having something that is two syllables fills time that could have 4 letters in it rather than just two.
Well of-course you think it's good, I learned it from your video.
And I don't really get what you mean with the syllables, could you give an example?

DNF by 11 edges and 8 corners :(
Try to keep on going, you'll get used to it eventually...
Usually when I get such a bad BLD I take a break.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

And I don't really get what you mean with the syllables, could you give an example?

JeFfNeV CuDBA WaGDee

As you can see, each syllable encodes two letters (except for the last one) so there are no wasted syllables. I just like the rhythm of grounding them into two syllable words.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Why can't i both speedsolve and blindsolve? I tried some BLD today, and then i tried speed again and my times were much slower. Do i have to choose between one of them?

BLD requires thinkahead while speedsolving requires lookahead. These two skills are almost mutually exclusive, so it can sometimes be a challenge to switch between them.

omer

But i'm not sure which one i want to do... :( Both are awesome!
Getting better at BLD doesn't mean you will get worst at speed solving, just when doing BLD for an hour or so and then doing speed solving right after that makes speed solving a little bit slower, but in a few solves it gets back to normal... It happens to me when I do BLD then regular, or ZZ then CFOP, or not touching the cube for a long time and then doing solving... everything takes warming up and BLD just doesn't warm you up for regular solving.

Of-course if you do BLD for a long time without regular solving once you will get worst at regular solving, but it will also happen if you just don't do regular solving for a long time, I don't think it has much to do with BLD.

Last edited:

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
Does anyone one know what is the difference between BLD and 3BLD

BLD is short for 'blindfolded', and really just refers to any blindfolded solving. 3BLD is '3x3 blindfolded' and specifically refers to solving the 3x3.

Often people will just use BLD to refer to 3x3 BLD because that's the most common blindfolded event.

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could someone give me an list of easy 3-cycles for OP Corners? I currently only know the A-Perms, The E-Perm (Isn't really a 3-cycle, but anyway) And the cycle UBL->FLU->UBR (r U R' U' r' F R F')

omer

At what time would it be a good time to start practicing 4BLD?
I don't think 4BLD has much to do with 3BLD, 4BLD requires a much longer memo so everything is very different. Just try it out, you got nothing to lose.

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At what time would it be a good time to start practicing 4BLD?

After 6:00pm, when you are done with your homework... Seriously dude, you can learn whatever you want. whenever you want. Is not like a cooking recipe.

If you are curious about 4BLD NOW, then NOW is the best time.

Last edited:

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm learning how to do 3BLD with Old Pochmann, and I'm having a hard time remembering all the set up moves. Is there a specific way that you've learned how to remember the set up moves? thanks.

Try not to think of them as algorithms, but do them intuitively. You should be thinking something like "how con i get this sticker over here with the fewest moves possible" And then execute.