• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

AlexByard

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I love BLD. But i am struggling to find the motivation to do BLD solves. I want to do them, but at the same time i don't... Do you guys gather motivation from anywhere? Am i the only one that feels like this?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One answer BLD question thread blind

Hey guys, I love BLD. But i am struggling to find the motivation to do BLD solves. I want to do them, but at the same time i don't... Do you guys gather motivation from anywhere? Am i the only one that feels like this?

Before I was fast, my motivation was always in learning new techniques/improving myself. I would recommend that you do a solve normally, and then think of a way it could be faster, like memorizing in different letter groupings, or trying to execute without pauses. Perhaps try to add some 3-style. It's always bad to JUST practice.

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01

Set a specific goal for yourself and/or find some other cubers of similar speed and race them.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To people that use letter pair images for memo: Is it best to learn a set list of words or make it up on the go?

I only know a small portion of the list I have written down and learning it all seems like a big task. I usually either make something up or refer to it if I'm stuck while memorizing.

AlexByard

YouTube
Visit Channel
The way i learn my letter pair images is i just make them up instantly in the solve, and i have found over time they have stuck, for example: CT - Cat, PK - ParKour. They have just stuck and are always that now.

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To people that use letter pair images for memo: Is it best to learn a set list of words or make it up on the go?

I only know a small portion of the list I have written down and learning it all seems like a big task. I usually either make something up or refer to it if I'm stuck while memorizing.

I think both approaches are ok. It depends on the person.
Some of us are sistematic, and like to do things like creating lists etc. Others are more spontaneous and like to improvise.

I began writting my list, but quickly got bored so I started to just solve and come up with the image on the fly. I think the final result will be very similar. As AlexByard says, you end up using the same images.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

If you it's very common for you to get stuck with deriving images on the spot, then learning a list will be a huge assistance. Learning/memorising a list is indeed, very boring, but it's the most efficient way to get better with your images (but certainly not the funnest XD). It's a lot of work, but like everything, once you're finished you'll appreciate the work you've put into it, and it would have paid off.

If, however, you're already able to derive most images on the fly with little difficulty, then you might want to just sit back and relax, while subliminally memorising more and more images. Once you've done enough BLD solves you will have memorised an entire list, without even trying to.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks guys. I've pretty much decided to go with making it up on the fly.

More questions! Not sure how answerable they are. They're kind of trivial.

Can you have a non-eligible blind cube for comps if the stickers are quite worn out? Like there's a small chance you might be able to distinguish some pieces by feeling them.

In multi, do the cubes have to be the same size?

If you have 1 twisted piece at the end, by popping or whatever, is it a DNF? (not really blind exclusive but still applies)

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A good alg for the case DF -> DL-> LF please?

Can you have a non-eligible blind cube for comps if the stickers are quite worn out? Like there's a small chance you might be able to distinguish some pieces by feeling them.

If you have 1 twisted piece at the end, by popping or whatever, is it a DNF? (not really blind exclusive but still applies)

1. That's up to the discretion of the delegate at the competition, but reasonable wear and tear is allowed

2. As far as I know no - I looked this up the other day and couldn't find any regulation that stated otherwise. However, you could in theory distinguish between 2 cubes if they were different sizes :S

3. Yes

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's probably always legal, but it also somewhat depends on the delegate probably

I'm not sure. I think they can be different, but not like the YJ foot cube and a 42mm cube, as long as they're all around the same size

yes, sadly

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me, a twisted corner is not clearly DNF. I could blame a scrambler that he twisted a corner (maybe, unintentionally).
If you can provide a video of your attempt and it can be seen that you already had a twisted corner during memorization, I'm sure it won't be DNF.

well yeah, but if there is a pop or a corner twist, then it's certainly DNF.

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
Could someone tell me a good lettering scheme? I want to solve a cube Blindfolded, and i already know the method really well, but i haven't got a lettering scheme.

Best thing is to come up with one yourself. If you make it up, that means it makes sense to you and you'll remember it easier.