• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
how does visual memory work?

Visual memory seems to be all about patterns. You "see" the path the pieces need to take to solve them. Imagine a roller coaster (or maybe just a string) passing through each of the stickers in your sequence of pieces to solve. At least, that's the way I used to use it, and I know some other people described it that way. So it's really not that different from other methods, except there's no code to translate from or to. It doesn't seem like many people use visual anymore, though.

Hey guys. I have 2 questions. I want to learn TuRBo for corners,
but before i start learning the algorithms, i want to know that:

1. What do i have to do when i have an odd number of corners to solve. I use M2 for edges and i need something like a parity algorithm. I wanted to solve the last one with Y-Perm (OP) and then just do the normal M2 parity algorithm, but i realized, that you memorize it in a different way. When i memorize LDB for TuRBo for example, i would have to solve DBL with the OP algorithm..You understand my problem?

EDIT: I could do it like that:
After solving every corner besides the last one, i do the U'F2UM2U'F2U parity move, then i solve the last corner with the Y-Perm and then i use an algorithm to flip the corner clockwise..but THATS a REALLY bad way...SO?

2. Whats the maximum for setup moves for TuRBo corners? I think its 3, right? If so, how many "3 move cases " are there?

Thanks, Dennis

Last edited:

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the only 3-setupped case is when the DBL and DFR corners involved (in any rotation), considering your slot is UBL. Therefore, 3 setupped cases can be avoided with an additional 2*3*3 = 18 algorithms (involving inverses). But this just a guest, I'm also started to examine Turbo recently.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can leave the last corner, and try to find solution on-the-fly at the end of the solving. Harder, but faster / shorter.

Another way is when you do an additional 3-cycle on the corners, involving for example the UBR corner. Therefore, in every parity case, the final corner swap is always the UBL-UBR swap. Then you have always the same parity case.

Example:
Scramble: Y-PLL (swap: UBL-UFR, UB-UL)

Solve the corners:

Target: UFR.
It is in the slot. Since we finished with the other corners (they are solved), we solve the UFR involving the UBR corner (we always do the last 3-cycle with it, so we always have the same parity case in the end).
so this is what we do: slot->UFR->UBR

Now corners are finished.

Now solve the edges:
M2
LU'L'U M2 U'LUL'
M2
Edges solved.

Now the fixed parity:
M2 U M2 J-Perm M2 U'
or the same:
M2 y L2 T-perm L2

Of course you can chose other corner as your very last unsolved one. This is just an example.

Last edited:
You can leave the last corner, and try to find solution on-the-fly at the end of the solving. Harder, but faster / shorter.

Thanks for all that. I understand your idea. But since there isnt any easy algorithm to fix all that, i also think that the best way is to find a solution "on-the-fly"..
This would mean, that i can solve the last corner with one algorithm and then just do the parity-algorithm.
I think, that this would work best for me..

Thanks, Dennis

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all that. I understand your idea. But since there isnt any easy algorithm to fix all that, i also think that the best way is to find a solution "on-the-fly"..
This would mean, that i can solve the last corner with one algorithm and then just do the parity-algorithm.
I think, that this would work best for me..

Thanks, Dennis

Just do U'F2UM2U'F2U after you solved the edges with M2 then solve the last corner and the edge-swap with Old Pochman.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Forgot to mention earlier:

As for the 3-setup DFR-DBL pair: if the DBL corner is involved in the 3-cycle as LDB, you can do a R B' move as setup. Example:
UBL->FRD->LDB =
R B' (UBL->RUB->URF) B R'

The same holds with BLD and R L' as setup. I don't know if there is such a trick for DBL, but in worst case you have to learn an additional 6 algorithms instead of 18 (including inverses).

Jakube: Hm, nice trick. :) Should have thought...

Just do U'F2UM2U'F2U after you solved the edges with M2 then solve the last corner and the edge-swap with Old Pochman.

Thats what i mean. But you have to think about how to solve the last corner then, because the orientation is different for OP. With TuRBo you look at the ULB sticker. With OP i look at the LUB sticker. So i have to find the correct orientation while solving..

Greetings, Dennis

Forgot to mention earlier:

As for the 3-setup DFR-DBL pair: if the DBL corner is involved in the 3-cycle as LDB, you can do a R B' move as setup. Example:
UBL->FRD->LDB =
R B' (UBL->RUB->URF) B R'

The same holds with BLD and R L' as setup. I don't know if there is such a trick for DBL, but in worst case you have to learn an additional 6 algorithms instead of 18 (including inverses).

Jakube: Hm, nice trick. :) Should have thought...

I dont like learning too many algorithms.
Yeah, thinking about the correct orientation for the last sticker, while solving isnt too hard..

Greetings, Dennis

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thats what i mean. But you have to think about how to solve the last corner then, because the orientation is different for OP. With TuRBo you look at the ULB sticker. With OP i look at the LUB sticker. So i have to find the correct orientation while solving...

Hm. Long time ago, when OP was my prior method, I started from the UBL position. I think most of the OP users start from the U sticker. How much work should be re-learn the OP in that way? (My guess: too much)

Or: for the last corner, you "rotate" the stickers. So, if the last corner is DBL (from Turbo), you solve it as BLD with OP (if I'm not wrong. Check it). You can do this translation during the planning of the memorization; so you don't have to worry about it during the execution.

Or: you can use Turbo starting from LUB, just in your OP. Just "rename" the cases:
UBL->FUR->UFL == LUB->URF->FUL

Last edited:
Or: you can use Turbo starting from LUB, just in your OP. Just "rename" the cases:
UBL->FUR->UFL == LUB->URF->FUL

I also had this idea and i love it.
Do you know any page with those algorithms?!
Otherwise, i have to switch them all by myself..

Greetings, Dennis

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also had this idea and i love it.
Do you know any page with those algorithms?!
Otherwise, i have to switch them all by myself..

Greetings, Dennis

I don't think there is such a notation for the Turbo, but since there are only a few algorithms, it's not a big deal to rename them by yourself. Just rotate all the corners clockwise, for example a case involving RDF becames DFR (since your original buffer LUF is rotated clockwise comparing to the mostly standard UFL).

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone have good image for the letter pair "OU"? I'm not really a fan of ouch!

I don't really mind anything. It could be a word in another language. As long as it seems reasonably sensible and quite memorable...

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
Does anyone have good image for the letter pair "OU"? I'm not really a fan of ouch!

I don't really mind anything. It could be a word in another language. As long as it seems reasonably sensible and quite memorable...

I have my previous image realising/working something out. As in "oooooooooohhhhhhh..." Weird, but works for me :p