• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With a visual memory method like tapping, wouldn't recall be faster and easier?
On first thought, it may seem to be faster as there is no coding/decoding involved. However, it does depend on the process you use to go from the letters/images to the alg. Personally I'm learning BH so that I can can go straight from letters to alg without caring what stickers I'm cycling. So if I did visual memo, I'd be quite stuck sometimes and have to code them into letters before knowing what alg to solve them with.

AbstractAlg

WCA
2012OKAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Depends how good your visual memory is. The speed and ease of a memory system varies from person to person, from my understanding most people find letters faster and easier.

Long live short-term memo. :D

- - -

When I memo corners, I memo letters but somehow always return to check just first two letters and then I instead of memoing them, I see how to solve them. So I memo last few corners, while first two I find the exact comm and then immediately execute it.
Does this happen to anyone else?

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Long live short-term memo. :D

- - -

When I memo corners, I memo letters but somehow always return to check just first two letters and then I instead of memoing them, I see how to solve them. So I memo last few corners, while first two I find the exact comm and then immediately execute it.
Does this happen to anyone else?

If there is an easy cycle at the end, then I do that too. Otherwise I know my memo will fail (audio stinks but I'm too lazy to get used to speffz+letter pair images/sentences for corners).

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I'm learning BH so that I can can go straight from letters to alg without caring what stickers I'm cycling.
Wow. I thought that to do BH 3-cycle, you must identify the case (pure comm, A9, cyclic shift etc), and to do that, you should imagine where your stickers are.
How are you learning BH, so you can go straight from letters to algorithms? Do you learn an algorithm for every 378 images?

drewsopchak

WCA
2010SOPC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow. I thought that to do BH 3-cycle, you must identify the case (pure comm, A9, cyclic shift etc), and to do that, you should imagine where your stickers are.
How are you learning BH, so you can go straight from letters to algorithms? Do you learn an algorithm for every 378 images?
There are a ton of mirrors and inverses and stuff in there. After a while, memo turns directly into com execution.

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I memo edges first, then corners. Then solve corners and then edges. Letter pair words/sentences for edge memo, audio corners. My new main problem is remembering how my edge memo starts, right after I executed corners. Any ideas?

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

14 algs. Each pair of letters gets associated with one of the algs (I learn an alg-set at a time so that's easy), a rotation, and whether it's the inverse/mirror/both. See here. I'm learning for UBL buffer though rather than UBR

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I memo edges first, then corners. Then solve corners and then edges. Letter pair words/sentences for edge memo, audio corners. My new main problem is remembering how my edge memo starts, right after I executed corners. Any ideas?

Same here;first edge can be difficult to recall but after that the story gets going...
Sometimes I have to work backwards through my story :)

I think we could try (in addition to the regular memo)
- imprint the first piece visually
- tap the first target