• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

evogler

WCA
2012VOGL01
How do twisted/flipped pieces fit into your inspection/memorizing process? I'm particularly curious what fast people have to say. I usually take a few seconds at the beginning to look for any of them, but that seems inefficient. (This is for 3cycle types of solving, not that it necessarily matters).
I put this in the one question thread because I know it's been answered here before, and would be satisfied if anyone knows where the earlier discussion went.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
my slow 2 cents for what it's worth: I also check for twists and flips first because if I don't I tend to miss more of them...
I typically memo them just as flipped pieces; when there are "many" I add them at the end of my memo as regular letter-pair images/words.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do twisted/flipped pieces fit into your inspection/memorizing process? I'm particularly curious what fast people have to say. I usually take a few seconds at the beginning to look for any of them, but that seems inefficient. (This is for 3cycle types of solving, not that it necessarily matters).
I put this in the one question thread because I know it's been answered here before, and would be satisfied if anyone knows where the earlier discussion went.
In 3bld, I tend to only look for them if I think I haven't memorised enough pieces. Not really worth checking when you don't have a feeling there might be one. Memo-wise I just remember that they're there.
In multibld the first thing I do when I start memoing a cube is look for twisted pieces. They have a separate pre-determined image that I place in a location like anything else.

megaminxwin

Current Clock NR Holder
WCA
2010MACA01
Not stupid at all :)
Old Pochmann all the way.
Google for Joel van Noorts tutorial.

I highly reccommend learning the "T2" alg (aka flip-T) too because it makes for easier set ups for L face stickers.

And of course, it'll never load for some reason. Keeps timing out.

Thanks anyway. I'll try tomorrow.

megaminxwin

Current Clock NR Holder
WCA
2010MACA01
I'd actually recommend starting with M2. It's really not difficult at all. It's faster than OP, and provides you with a better base going forwards towards 3-style in the future.

Any good tutorials for that?

Sorry, internet realllllllly slow, and I can't exactly wait 3 hours to watch an eight minute video. (now i'm just griping. lovely. /sarcasm)

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I'd actually recommend starting with M2. It's really not difficult at all. It's faster than OP, and provides you with a better base going forwards towards 3-style in the future.

Any good tutorials for that?

Best video tutorials for both:
Old Pochmann: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?34298-How-to-solve-a-Rubik-s-Cube-BLD-Progression
M2: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?34854-M2-tutorial-Progression

Also look up the threads (search "progression") where these tutorials were posted.

If Daniel reccommends M2 then forget what I said :)
I'm noob, he's a WR BLD solver :)

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the concept of OP is very slightly easier to understand because you have a bit more freedom in the setup moves, rather than having 'insert' the piece into the M-slice. However, if you've ever done freeslice on big cube edges, you'll already understand the concept of inserting a piece into a slice. The speed difference at the end makes it so much more worth it though.

Talking of how M2 and freeslice have a similar concept, has anyone ever tried doing BLD with E2 (just do zy rotation and start inserting pieces into the FR slot)? Obviously actually doing it successfully isn't any harder than M2, but just wondering whether anybody does it.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1) I've just started learning BH and found that two cases are not fingertricks friendly, namely Cyclic shifts and Orthogonals. They deal with 3 adjacent faces, so you cannot rotate the cube and move just U, L, D or U, R, D. How do you solve them speed-optimally? How would you solve, for example, ULB->BRU->LUF (or URB->BLU->RUF) and ULB->FUR->LFD (or URB->FUL->RFD)?

2) In multi-bld, what it the better way to solve the cubes: in the same order you memorized them or in inverse one? How often do you recall cubes during memorizing? The ideal is to not recall them at all, but how can one achieve it? Are there any tips except "keep practicing"?

Thank you.

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1)
2) In multi-bld, what it the better way to solve the cubes: in the same order you memorized them or in inverse one? How often do you recall cubes during memorizing? The ideal is to not recall them at all, but how can one achieve it? Are there any tips except "keep practicing"?

ad order: This depends on your memorization. If you have one single room for each cube, you can solve them in the inverse order, I see no problem with that. But because I memorize all cubes in a long route, the inverse order would be rather confusing.
ad recalling: I recall every cube twice. My order is, memorize two cubes, recall them, memorize the next 2 cubes, recall these two cubes, memorize the next two cubes, ... After recalling the last two cubes I recall everything again. This last big recall is very important for me, cause I see where I have problems and can memorize them again. The last two cubes I memorize without routes, cause I'm faster without, these are the two I start solving with. This memo order is pretty effective I think.
ad practice: Just do a lot of attempts. Look at Markov, he does a multi with > 20 cubes nearly every day, and he improves a lot. One thing which helped me getting faster, was do single BLD solve with my multi memo method. I did 3BLD visual, but multi with Letter Pairs. So I switched from visual to Letter Pairs for 3BLD and got faster.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
ULB->BRU->LUF

This is not a generic solution, but I love my BH alg for this particular one:
F R' U2 R F' R' F U2 F' R

With left thumb on U and UL, and left middle finger on D and DL, right thumb on UR and right middle finger on DR, pull with left ring finger for F, then wrist the R', then double-trigger the U2 with the right hand, then undo the R F'. Then invert the order for the second half. No regrips at all - very very fast. Of all my PLLs, I only have a few that are as fast as this algorithm.

Cool Frog

1) I've just started learning BH and found that two cases are not fingertricks friendly, namely Cyclic shifts and Orthogonals. They deal with 3 adjacent faces, so you cannot rotate the cube and move just U, L, D or U, R, D. How do you solve them speed-optimally? How would you solve, for example, ULB->BRU->LUF (or URB->BLU->RUF) and ULB->FUR->LFD (or URB->FUL->RFD)?

Thank you.
ULB->BRU->LUF
X' U2 (This sets up the case into a 9 mover) R2' D R U2 R' D' R U2 R
U2
ULB->FUR->LFD
X U2 to a 9 mover

For Orthogonals you can do either an F' or F to set it up into a Fast thing.
It helps to Pre plan what you would do before you get the case in a BLD solve.

U' R2 D2 R' U2 R D2 R' U2 R' U
Is another style you can use

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is not a generic solution, but I love my BH alg for this particular one:
F R' U2 R F' R' F U2 F' R

With left thumb on U and UL, and left middle finger on D and DL, right thumb on UR and right middle finger on DR, pull with left ring finger for F, then wrist the R', then double-trigger the U2 with the right hand, then undo the R F'. Then invert the order for the second half. No regrips at all - very very fast. Of all my PLLs, I only have a few that are as fast as this algorithm.

Wow I kinda like that. I'm executing this on my air cube, because I'm in class at the moment (the class is on a break). I will definitely try this on my for real cube when I get a chance :)