• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

World Championships 2011 Bangkok

EeeeeWarne

WCA
2011HOLL04
Nice one EeeeeWarne, I wouldn't have expected Hungary to be that high up the list. Pretty interesting.

Mmmm, yes. The only reason they are number two really is because of Magics. They had 3 in the top 5 of both Magic and Master Magic. If there were no magics, then Hungary and the US would be equal, with Australia having 7 points more than the two of them (Japan would lead by 10 points). Also interesting, if there were no magics, then Poland would have 204 less points.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I love that stat. It means you really have to push yourself to become the world champion.

Just because those guys happened to break their records, doesn't mean it's necessary. Except for Dan in 2003, the world champions never won with a world record, and others could have beaten them without breaking their faster previous records. Feliks for example wouldn't have had to "push himself" (even assuming that just means performing better than normal).

Last edited:

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
Just because those guys happened to break their records, doesn't mean it's necessary. Except for Dan in 2003, the world champions never won with a world record, and others could have beaten them without breaking their faster previous records. Feliks for example wouldn't have had to "push himself" (even assuming that just means performing better than normal).

I suppose they could, but fact remains that they didn't.

It's a big psychological pressure to be a huge favourite for this big an event. I think you would have to "push yourself" psychologically to overcome that pressure.

No matter what you say Stefan, I think it is a beautiful stat. It does poetic justice to our sport.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Building on this, none of the World Champions have held either of the 3x3 WRs when they won.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Building on this, none of the World Champions have held either of the 3x3 WRs when they won.

If with "either" you mean average and single, then that's wrong (Jean had the single WR). I was only talking about average (and only about regular 3x3x3 solving), since that's what you win with (except for ties).

asiahyoo1997

So...I was bored. I also wanted to find out how various nations did at the World Championships. I decided to find out the hard way...by getting the results myself. It has been done like the WCA statistics where they add up all the single and average rankings of a person, however, with this, it is the highest average ranking of a country.

Top five nations:

1. Japan - 126
2. Hungary - 128
3. USA - 151
4. Australia - 201
5. Sweden - 251

Here is the full rankings...

Thailand192

EeeeeWarne

WCA
2011HOLL04
Thailand192

I knew I would have made a mistake! But why did it have to be a stupid obvious mistake like this! (I thought it would be something like having Romania as 39 for mastermagic instead of 17 or something (this is not the case)...). So with that in mind, Thailand came 4th, meaning Australia came 5th and Sweden came 6th. I guess I just wanted to include Sweden in my results out of admiration for Simon Weslund, who probably won the individual rankings of the World Championships...

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Everyone, this has been an awesome tournament. From the 19/19 multiblind WR at the very first event, through that 5x5x5 final, to the last 2 people on the table for 3x3x3 giving us all that surprise. I have been working hard and long for those 3 days but never got tired or bored. The energy that was there during the entire tournament was amazing.

Worlds was also the end of my 19 month adventure in Asia. I left Netherlands in March more than 1.5 year ago, visited about 15 countries that I never visited before, lived like a "hobo with a creditcard" everywhere on the streets to discover the "real" Asia and I had never thought it would be such an incredible time.

I am now coming back to Europe, probably landing in Dusseldorf and going to the Essen competition IF they will allow me to register late and IF I can find a good flight. After that I have 1 more week of vacation, ending my free time at the Dutch Open where I hope to see even more of my friends again (MAria, RAma, TON, Joey, Charlie, and so many more). I will also become much more active on the forum and at cubing itself again, so I will see you all often online and offline

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Incredible experience!

A huge thanks goes to all the organisers, hotel staff, judges, competitors, participants and everyone else who made the competition run as smooth as it did. It was great to finally meet some really nice people in person, I hope to see everyone again at World Championships 2013. :D

And of course, congratulations to all the winners! Especially the World Rubik's Cube Championship 2011 podium; Michał, Rowe and Feliks. :tu

Arnaud, what an exciting journey you've had, and what a great way to conclude it. I will also add, you did an excellent job as the MC. :)

Last edited:

David Zemdegs

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was filming faz in the 5x5 final and i missed filming Dans 57. I said to him something like "Dan beat your 5x5 single". Faz smiled and said "I still have one more solve". I thought he was joking but he wasnt! That was an event to take your breath away. We are home now and I am extracting all my videos, so if faz gets a chance to plough through three hours of stuff he may get something up tonight (australian time).
Thanks to all the organisers and staff and Arnaud as a great MC. Most of all thanks to all the competitors for making this an incredible experience for faz and me. If only we could do worlds once a year.....

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Michał Pleskowicz...wow. TPS insanity. You are now in the hall of fame and you earned it!

And so much love to Rowe for such an impressive showing! You are a force to be reckoned with.

Feliks...you still rule all galaxies.

And special love to Anthony Brooks for creaming the NAR!

Last edited:

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was filming faz in the 5x5 final and i missed filming Dans 57. I said to him something like "Dan beat your 5x5 single". Faz smiled and said "I still have one more solve". I thought he was joking but he wasnt! That was an event to take your breath away. We are home now and I am extracting all my videos, so if faz gets a chance to plough through three hours of stuff he may get something up tonight (australian time).
Thanks to all the organisers and staff and Arnaud as a great MC. Most of all thanks to all the competitors for making this an incredible experience for faz and me. If only we could do worlds once a year.....

<Venim> someone better have my ****ing 57 on tape
<RiffzRobHolt> Venim: who cares Feliks did a 56
<Venim> i care
<RiffzRobHolt> :D
<aronpm> Venim: lol you got owned
<RiffzRobHolt> no srsly 5x5 was ridic