• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Preview]New Forum Layout.

Moss

Greetings,

Well today I woke up with a headache so I stayed the whole day at home but that's not the point of the thread. Some members of the Speed Solving community know that I'm a web-developer so today I no-lifed for a while and created an unique vBulletin template for the most loved forum.

You can check it out here: preview. Share your opinions and thoughts.

Sincerely,
Moss.

Moss

Honestly its pretty crappy, as I can barely even read the text :\

I can actually see the text pretty well, maybe that's because you're familiar with white screen and can't switch to dark one. Thanks for your reply.

Chrish

WCA
2010HARG01
Far too many forums I use have a black background, I kind of prefer the white we've got here. It's a bit plain, but it's not so grim at least.

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
I can actually see the text pretty well, maybe that's because you're familiar with white screen and can't switch to dark one. Thanks for your reply.
Being a web designer, I'd think you'd appreciate this statement more. From a usability standpoint, dark text on a dark background (or light on light) is something that should be avoided.

And personally, I prefer fluid (variable-width) layouts.

anyway, what exactly did you do besides change colors and some other minor things? I guess most vb themes have the same layout, which is why none of them are that original.

Moss

I decided to create an unique layout because the current one is deffault vB theme is overused, thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Being a web designer, I'd think you'd appreciate this statement more. From a usability standpoint, dark text on a dark background (or light on light) is something that should be avoided.

And personally, I prefer fluid (variable-width) layouts.

anyway, what exactly did you do besides change colors and some other minor things? I guess most vb themes have the same layout, which is why none of them are that original.

Show me at least one forum layout which looks like this one, I didn't edited the original vB theme. It's actually pretty original, check out some vB layouts which are for sale and you'll see. Between I used the dark background because I prefer white text on black background (I see better like that).

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's very... dark. The white on black isn't that bad for short things, but grey on black will get VERY tiring after lots of reading. Besides I don't think a black background is really appropriate for this forum, I'd like to think we're more about happy friendly puzzling than angry competitive puzzling.

PS: An overused format is not necessarily a bad format - look at how many books are printed with dark text on a white background, with page numbers on each page, with rows of text that you read left to right and top to bottom ;)