• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ideas for 2011

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
What things would you like to see added/changed/modified this year on the site? I have a big list of things I plan to work on, but I'm interested in hearing what you think could make the site better.

Thanks,
-Pat

y3k9

Can you make it so that if you post a thread you can delete if needed?

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
- Remove the image size limit, or at least make it bigger - it makes every picture we post look ugly.
- Remove the icon above post content that's needlessly in every post.

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
-Agreed with Kirjava about the icon at the top of posts
-I'd like to see all the extra space at the bottom of posts go away. I don't see any reason why there should be more than the amount necessary to show the profile.
-I think it'd be nice to see a field on the profile (the one next to posts, not the user profile page) that lets you input your website URL.

Rune

Premium Member
WCA
2003WESS01
I still miss the old message: "The posts below have not been updated, since..."

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you make it so that if you post a thread you can delete if needed?

NO. Absolute veto. Some dick did that at another forum when he didn't like the responses and deleted all work of other people that way. Unacceptable. People must not be able to delete posts of others (except moderators, of course). That forum disabled such deletions because of this, btw.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
NO. Absolute veto. Some dick did that at another forum when he didn't like the responses and deleted all work of other people that way. Unacceptable. People must not be able to delete posts of others (except moderators, of course). That forum disabled such deletions because of this, btw.

The only circumstance where I'd want the delete feature actually implemented is if no replies are in the thread.

Toad

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know it's a pretty big thing and would be very hard to initiate but some sort of national grouping thing. I can't really think of exactly what I want, I just know that I'm often a lot more interested in threads that UK cubers and the cubers I know IRL have posted in...

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know it's a pretty big thing and would be very hard to initiate but some sort of national grouping thing. I can't really think of exactly what I want, I just know that I'm often a lot more interested in threads that UK cubers and the cubers I know IRL have posted in...

optional flag next to your nick?

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01

If you look in someone's profile, there's a "Add as friend" option. Surely that must do something.

Toad

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't found any way that the friends thing integrates with the forums... I haven't looked much though :p

I like the flag idea as something little to add :)

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only circumstance where I'd want the delete feature actually implemented is if no replies are in the thread.

Regardless of whether you'd be able to delete the thread when there are little to no posts in the thread, the thread would still be pushed down relatively quickly. Besides, sometimes, especially in the "Puzzle Theory" section, it could be a while before someone comes along that can properly reply to the OP.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just a suggestion, but in the "forum tools" drop down the first option is "post a new thread", even though there is already a big button on the left for doing that. Not only is it a bit redundant, but I have a bad habit of always clicking that instead of "mark this forum as read" by accident and it's annoying :p

stinkocheeze

GIGANTIC SEARCH FUNCTION.
edit: no changed to the real search fuction, just make it larger and more easy to see.

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Find a way so that great important threads such as the OAQT stay at the front page for all the new members to see. PLEASEE! And maybe other similar threads like the Cube Hybrid Thread, pentrixr(sp?)'s awesome thread, Stefan Pochman's Corner Cutting Measure thread, and just those to name a few. PLEASE!

RCTACameron

WCA
2010STOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Find a way so that great important threads such as the OAQT stay at the front page for all the new members to see. PLEASEE! And maybe other similar threads like the Cube Hybrid Thread, pentrixr(sp?)'s awesome thread, Stefan Pochman's Corner Cutting Measure thread, and just those to name a few. PLEASE!

Wait, so all of those threads on the front page? There are a lot of great threads that new members should know about, probably too many for the front page as well as the recent threads section.