• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dayan 4x4 wth

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for bumping an old thread but it beats creating a new one to post my opinion on the DaYan + Mf8 4x4x4 I guess.

I got my DaYan + Mf8 this weekend and really like it. I've tried one before, but only briefly. I didn't want to man-handle it at the time to see how it performs, because it was the owners main 4x4x4 and he had a comp the next day.

I also have a ShengShou 4x4x4 and the X-Cube.

The ShengShou is nice and fast and all, but it has outer layer lock-ups that cause pops and those are mostly internal pops. I hate fixing the ShengShou after an internal pop because it's really hard to reassemble when the cube is still lubed. It has come as far as that when I do use this cube, I'm extremely careful with it which = slow solves = not a proper speedcube when I'm using it.

The X-Cube is faster than the ShengShou and I really love it with all my heart, but the internal pops are also there albeit easier to fix than the ShengShou. The internal pieces are bigger and hold each other into place slightly during assembly which helps a lot. But it's still time consuming and a pain in the ass to reassemble.

My new DaYan hasn't broken in yet(but has been lubed) and I haven't done anything with the tensions either, so it's still pretty tight. It popped on me in the bus this morning which was something I expected though.
But what I love about this cube is that I haven't had any internal popping to date. I haven't studied the mech properly yet, but it's a lot like something you would see in a 2x2x2 and seems pretty sturdy. When edges or corners pop, they are really easy to put back it without making the internals fall apart too like you would see with the afore mentioned cubes.

So when I'm at home I'll still be using my X-Cube for speed solving. For commuting, it's definitely the DaYan. This morning I just picked the piece up when it popped, pushed it back in place and finished the solve. When the same happened some time back with my ShengShou, I had to cling on to it all the way home to prevent it from disintegrating into a spray of pieces...which is exactly what it did when I got home and let go of it...

Last edited:

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The outer layers have responded pretty well to Lubix, but the inner layers are still harder to turn than I'm used to from my other 4x4x4s. I haven't done anything with the tensions yet though. But yeah, Lubix/ differential oil will definitely make it better than it is out of the box.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Diff oil helped my inner layers quite a bit. My issue is the size. If Dayan+MF would make a 6cm I'd be a happy person.

Do you know of a decent lubing guide for the DaYan? How did you lube it?

Yeah, it's big. I'm not really into big cubes but I'm not really very fast at 4x4x4 yet either so it's OK for now I guess...

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
S
The ShengShou is nice and fast and all, but it has outer layer lock-ups that cause pops and those are mostly internal pops. I hate fixing the ShengShou after an internal pop because it's really hard to reassemble when the cube is still lubed. It has come as far as that when I do use this cube, I'm extremely careful with it which = slow solves = not a proper speedcube when I'm using it.

There is a mod for the Shengshou that helps with lockups. I found it on youtube. The broken in x-cube still beats it
though.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
HELP ME!~ The inner layers are so hard to turn that I keep popping edges when I manipulate them :( I've been solving this cube the whole day and it has really helped me respect my X-Cube so much more than I already do. Which is a good thing btw ;)

protocoldoug

b4p4076... Yeah, I'm thinking of getting an x-cube myself. I first had the ghosthand 4x4x4, and then upgraded to the dayan+mf8...

anyway, I found the same thing I was thinking I wasted $20 on it (or whatever I paid), and what I did was...

First -- disassemble it down to the 2x2x2-like-core. Or close. You can leave on one-to-three of the "discs" that hold on the outer cubies. Then... You're going to want to loosen the tensions on that 2x2x2 core, lube liberally and sit there and work it in well. I used CRC, personally.

It worked OK for me, but... I'm still considering the x-cube, I just don't like the size of the dayan+mf8 4x4x4 tbh. Hard to rationalize the cube after buying two others, but... ahhh perfection.

Hope that helps *thumbs up*

chikato_tan

WCA
2010VOMI02
i think you should lube it then tigh up the screws for breaking , the lubrication will help you turn it normal , it maybe can not cut corner well but you can use it for speeding . after 3-4 weeks loose the screws a little bit (not too much or it will pop ) and enjoy .i did that to my Dayan and it`s fine , i can sub 1minute with it :)
P/s : sorry for my bad english

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
b4p4076... Yeah, I'm thinking of getting an x-cube myself. I first had the ghosthand 4x4x4, and then upgraded to the dayan+mf8...

anyway, I found the same thing I was thinking I wasted $20 on it (or whatever I paid), and what I did was...

First -- disassemble it down to the 2x2x2-like-core. Or close. You can leave on one-to-three of the "discs" that hold on the outer cubies. Then... You're going to want to loosen the tensions on that 2x2x2 core, lube liberally and sit there and work it in well. I used CRC, personally.

It worked OK for me, but... I'm still considering the x-cube, I just don't like the size of the dayan+mf8 4x4x4 tbh. Hard to rationalize the cube after buying two others, but... ahhh perfection.

Hope that helps *thumbs up*

Thanks for that, I'll try it out this evening :) The cube has been sitting on my cube-shelf gathering dust. Such a waste...

i think you should lube it then tigh up the screws for breaking , the lubrication will help you turn it normal , it maybe can not cut corner well but you can use it for speeding . after 3-4 weeks loose the screws a little bit (not too much or it will pop ) and enjoy .i did that to my Dayan and it`s fine , i can sub 1minute with it :)
P/s : sorry for my bad english

I applied lube when I got it but only the outer layers turn well. That's reassuring, I'm confident it'll get better after time passes :)
Your English is fine, don't worry about it ;)