• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
M

Mr Beast

Can someone do a few and tell me what they think is the faster algorithm for the oll "headlights" ?

Either: y' R U2 R' U' R U' R' L' U2 L U L' U L
Or: (R2 D) (R' U2) (R D') (R' U2 R')

The first, although longer has a lot of easy finger-tricks.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
What does that do?
You use it to pair edges, specifically this case:
2swap.png

after a y2.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Can someone do a few and tell me what they think is the faster algorithm for the oll "headlights" ?

Either: y' R U2 R' U' R U' R' L' U2 L U L' U L
Or: (R2 D) (R' U2) (R D') (R' U2 R')

The first, although longer has a lot of easy finger-tricks.

The first is useful to remember as a pure 2-corner twist, but not so great as a general OLL.

I really like the second. It's the most popular alg for headlights OLL and I use it and its mirror as COLL algorithms.

Another nice one that I use is (R U R' U') (R U' R' U2) (R U' R' U2) (R U R')

xuancong84

YouTube
Visit Channel
Any formula safe for opposite edge swap on 4x4x4 super-super-cube?

I am aware of tons of 4x4x4 edge swap formula on web.
But does someone knows one which is super-super-cube-safe, i.e., directly solves the configuration below?
edge-swap.jpg
I just encountered this yesterday. But I don't want to mess up other pieces.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am aware of tons of 4x4x4 edge swap formula on web.
But does someone knows one which is super-super-cube-safe, i.e., directly solves the configuration below?
attachment.php
I just encountered this yesterday. But I don't want to mess up other pieces.
Thanks!
Besides all of the PLL parity algorithms I put in the wiki and marked as "safe", if you know Stefan's PLL parity algorithm r2 F2 U2 2R2 U2 F2 r2, which also works for the 5x5x5, you can basically do it twice like so (I need to add this to the wiki :)) to not affect centers.
(r2 F2 U2 2R' U2 F2 r2)(l2 F2 U2 2L' U2 F2 l2)

xuancong84

YouTube
Visit Channel
Besides all of the PLL parity algorithms I put in the wiki and marked as "safe", if you know Stefan's PLL parity algorithm r2 F2 U2 2R2 U2 F2 r2, which also works for the 5x5x5, you can basically do it twice like so (I need to add this to the wiki :)) to not affect centers.
(r2 F2 U2 2R' U2 F2 r2)(l2 F2 U2 2L' U2 F2 l2)

Oops, your solution is super-cube-safe, but not super-super-cube-safe, because it spoils the interior 2x2x2 too much:( as shown below:
edge-swap-wrong.jpg
Do you know someone else who is good at this? Thanks!:cool:

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oops, your solution is super-cube-safe, but not super-super-cube-safe, because it spoils the interior 2x2x2 too much:( as shown below:
attachment.php
Do you know someone else who is good at this? Thanks!:cool:
What puzzle are you solving? I never heard of super-super-cube safe before. Did you try 2R' F U' R F' U 2L 2R U' F R' U F' 2L' from the wiki? That alg should not affect the inner 2x2x2, if my understanding is correct.

Last edited:

EvanCahill

I need an algorithm to permutate the bottom layer edges of a 4x4. I use a centers last method and this is the side opposite the side I already completed. The current algorithm I use is L B L' F' B F L B' L but it's very slow and takes a lot of time. B=Bottom and the cube is held with one correctly permutated corner in left back.

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need an algorithm to permutate the bottom layer edges of a 4x4. I use a centers last method and this is the side opposite the side I already completed. The current algorithm I use is L B L' F' B F L B' L but it's very slow and takes a lot of time. B=Bottom and the cube is held with one correctly permutated corner in left back.

If B = bottom does that mean the alg is actrually L D L' F' D F L D' L?