• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PLL Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarxrax

LL Timer by Zarxrax

Introducing version 2 of my new app, LL Timer.

It is similar to the PLL trainer by badmephisto, but its not a straight copy of it. I've changed some aspects that I didn't like, for instance with my program it shows you the PLL before you start the timer, and you can train a single PLL repeatedly if you like.
As of version 2, it now has support for OLL and C*LL cases!
Also, the main reason that I created this was because badmephisto's app doesn't fit on small screens. You shouldn't have that problem with this one.

How to use:
Click on a case, and its image will be displayed on the left. Under the case, an algorithm is displayed which lets you SET UP the case on your own cube.
Press the spacebar to start the timer, and then press it again to stop.
Finally, press the spacebar once more to accept the time. If you made a mistake, you can press the discard button instead, and the time will not be recorded.
If you select the "random case" checkbox, it will display a random case each time.
If you don't want certain cases to appear in the random selection, you can disable cases by right-clicking on them.
When you close the program, your times are automatically saved and will be loaded the next time you start.

Screenshots:
lltimer1.png

lltimer2.png

Version 2.2 Changes:
- Cases can be disabled by right clicking their image
- The current case is now highlighted in green
- There is now a half second delay after stopping the timer, to prevent accidentally accepting times.

Version 2.02 Changes:
- Fixed a bug where the last case would never come up when the random checkbox was selected
- Fixed a bug where the first case would be selected after you press the discard button
- Fixed a bug where some stats were not erased when starting a new session

Version 2.01 Changes:
- Fixed a bug related to number formatting which can occur with some region settings.

Version 2.0 Changes:
- Changed the name to LL timer
- Added OLL and CLL cases
- Pressing any key will stop the timer
- The setup algs for the 2 N perms were swapped
- Warning: saved times from old versions can not be used in this version. Start a new session.

Version 1.2 Changes:
- Fixed the standard deviation
- Reports actually contain your stats now!
- Rotated N perms, and one of the J perms
- Added blocks and headlights to G and A perm images (is everyone satisfied with these pics now?)
- Converted images to PNG, total images filesize reduced from 28KB to 8KB (YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH)
- Changed the order the PLLs appear in (you need to start a new session or old times will be for the wrong pll)
- Hovering the mouse over the big PLL shows that PLL's name

Version 1.11 Changes:
- Averages and Standard deviation were completely broken in 1.1 (std is still broke, I'll have to check into it)

Version 1.1 Changes:
- You can't click on the times now (it served no purpose anyway)
- Clicking almost anywhere will set focus on the start button
- Fixed the algorithm for one of the R perms
- Standard deviation is now displayed if you have done at least 2 solves. (btw, i dont even know if im calculating std correctly, lolz)
- Generates reports now (links to images on my server, images not guaranteed to work in the future)

Last edited:

oprah62

WCA
2010PEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's very nice, but the main thing I have a problem is, when doing a random pll, like in badmephisto's app, and a g perm comes up, I have no idea which to do because I neever learned from those diagrams. I learned from headlights and block.

Very nice app otherwise!

Zarxrax

It's very nice, but the main thing I have a problem is, when doing a random pll, like in badmephisto's app, and a g perm comes up, I have no idea which to do because I neever learned from those diagrams. I learned from headlights and block.

Very nice app otherwise!

This is the reason why it displays an alg under the picture. This alg lets you set up the correct case.

maggot

ok. i had this big ol message and i lost it so im going to keep short and sweet.
thanks for fixing big screen issue.
rotation of PLL pics by 90 degrees (so you can customize. i dont use J perm on the back of the cube.)
also, something missing from yours and badmephisto's that would take some work, including a list of algs on the fly so that way you can test different ones as you are learning, or to mess around with if you hate your alg. there is a droid app that has an alg database. although its not very comprehensive, it is great for all those moments of boredom on the go.
also, i agree with the block headlights pics, i appreciate that it is a cycle of 3 edge and 3 corner for a Gperm, but who the hell learns them like that? for a long time i didnt want to learn Gperms because of those stupid pics.. but i did learn them from the pic, but block headlight is WAY easier. maybe i can doctor the pictures up for you so that they would make sense without losing much integrity of your aesthetics.
whenever i used badmephisto's trainer, any time i seen the G perm, regardless of which one, i just did which ever G perm i felt like at that moment lmao.

on anthony's site i believe there is a block headlight representation of G perms.

Last edited:

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Trying it out. Is there a way to start the timer besides clicking? Also, it would be nice to have block representation on the pictures, I don't recognize any of my PLLs in cycles.

Zarxrax

Trying it out. Is there a way to start the timer besides clicking?
Yes, just press the spacebar whenever the start button has focus. It takes focus after most operations... if you click on a pll, if you click on the big pll pic, after you stop the timer, etc.
You can also press tab a few times to get the focus onto the button.
I'll try to add some code that makes clicking on random empty areas move the focus to the button as well.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Version 1.11 released.

By the way, its easy to recognize the G perms with those images. The headlights always go on left. Then you see that 1x2 block in the images that doesn't have any arrows on it? That's the location of the 1x2 block on your cube.

Also, the images can be rotated to your liking with Windows Photo Viewer (double click the image, it should open).

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Whee, updated to version 1.2.
I still don't test before releasing, but hopefully it wont have any bugs :p

Version 1.2 Changes:
- Fixed the standard deviation
- Reports actually contain your stats now!
- Rotated N perms, and one of the J perms
- Added blocks and headlights to G and A perm images (is everyone satisfied with these pics now?)
- Converted images to PNG, total filesize reduced from 28KB to 8KB (YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH)
- Changed the order the PLLs appear in (you need to start a new session or old times will be for the wrong pll)
- Hovering the mouse over the big PLL shows that PLL's name

demma

WCA
2011LAMA02
Bery nice, congratulations!
Now I need to make a pad from an old mouse to avoid breaking my space bar.
With some other reviews and advices you can master this and maybe build an OLL Trainer!...

Thanks for sharing.

Metallor

Lol is your accuracy that bad that you miss the largest button on the keyboard? :p
If its a big deal, I could check into changing that.

My spacebar may be the biggest button on my keyboard, but its still not that big. On BM's PLL trainer I was missing stopping the timer quite a lot because after my PLL I just went for a keyboard mash & hit keys along with spacebar.
I assume with the code, it would not accept a spacebar press unless spacebar was the first key you hit. eg. Say you finish PLL and try to press spacebar and hit N then spacebar at the same time, timer doesnt stop :(. But if you hit spacebar then N, it would (i guess).
Also, is there a way of expanding this and making an OLL trainer also? Shouldnt require too much code changing i wouldnt think, just a bit of Ctrl + C & Ctrl + V
Thanks, gonna give it a try now

Zarxrax

Well, the code to stop the timer is just a normal button so its all handled by windows. I'd have to figure out how to write specialized code to handle keypresses, to do anything else. I doubt it would be difficult to implement though.

I can add OLL support (and possibly other things like CLL as well).
I need all the OLL images at the right resolution (76x76), sorted in a logical order and numbered like the pll images, short setup algs for each one (has to fit under the big image), and possibly a "name" for each case.

I'm a bit busy as of late so I'm not sure when I can get around to doing all that.

demma

WCA
2011LAMA02
I have been using this aplication and I like it a lot, even more than badmephisto's (my respect for him, I use all his sheets and watch his videos).
Congratulations for the great job.

Zarxrax

I've about finished adding OLLs to it.
But I'll need to change the name now, since it's not just a PLL timer.
Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.