• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] 66mm DaYan+MF8 4x4x4

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Above Average

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Average

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Below Average

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the DaYan+MF8 4x4x4. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I literally just got a PB avg of 41.16 with it, so I would say its a good cube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sweet!
I love reviews, specially when I'm looking for a cube since mine is broken lol.
EDIT
About the popping:
If you haven't broken it in much, and have the tensions loose so it can turn faster, then I guess you could break it in more, then tighten the tensions. That might help, idk, but worth a try :)

Last edited:

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the review Dan. From the looks of it, the Dayan may not be right for me. I have small hands and rely on good corner cutting. BTW, I believe ispinz is selling some of these in his store for $18.

vuaquyen92

WCA
2010PHAM08
YouTube
Visit Channel
I prefer the maru, the dayan really easy to pop and it's too big
I still don't get the point that if corner cutting means pop so what's the differrent between dayan and other non-cutting cube.
With the high price I think this cube isnot worth it

peedu

Hi,

From the photos I see logos or whatever marks on some center pieces. How many are there with logos? I'm asking this to find out if it will cause problems with:

"3j) Puzzles must be clean and must not have any markings, elevated pieces, damages, or other differences that distinguish one piece from a similar piece."

QJ has same kind of engraved logo on all of the centers.

I'm sure those markings will not help in (speed or bld) solving the 4x4, but the rules are the rules.

Peedu

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,

From the photos I see logos or whatever marks on some center pieces. How many are there with logos? I'm asking this to find out if it will cause problems with:

"3j) Puzzles must be clean and must not have any markings, elevated pieces, damages, or other differences that distinguish one piece from a similar piece."

QJ has same kind of engraved logo on all of the centers.

I'm sure those markings will not help in (speed or bld) solving the 4x4, but the rules are the rules.

Peedu

if you kept reading the rules, you'd see that:
3l1) Colourless logos (max. 1 logo per colour) that are engraved are not considered as logos.

Also, my cube only has 2 logos, so not that many.

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dayan+MF8 4x4x4 (original) [Review]

This thread is for reviews of the Dayan+MF8 4x4x4 (original). You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Puzzle Addictions
When the puzzle was purchased: Oct/Nov 2011

Awesome cube I really like it, its a bit large, but I'm fine with it, it barely locks up, and I turn good enough for it not to pop. Came lubed by Izo, not to mention, so i didn't have to lube and mess with it.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Where the puzzle was purchased: JeansPearly
When the puzzle was purchased: Ordered December 2011, Arrived about 2nd January
Thoughts on the puzzle: Really nice and smooth after breaking in and lubed thoroughly. Pops can be annoying but they are not frequent. I don't really mind the size because I'm quite used to V-Cubes but it'll be nice if it were smaller.

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: (I don't remember)
When the puzzle was purchased: July 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: This is the best 4x4 available on the market in my opinion. Out of the box it was really dry and turned awfully. I took it apart entirely, lubed the core fully, rebuilt the core and lubed the supports for it, rebuilt it entirely and lubed the surface of the ball and between the edges. It became REALLY nice. I then spent a few hours solving, and adjusting tensions and now it's excellent. It doesn't not nor does it lock, outer layers cut about 1.5 cubies worth and centres cut about 0.66 cubies worth. It's pretty tight but is excellent. It's a good size for my large hands, the SSV3 is too locky, too loose and too small in my opinion.

CubeLTD

Premium Member
Where the puzzle was purchased: SS Store
When the puzzle was purchased: November
Thoughts on the puzzle: Significantly better after its lubed and tensioned.

Zbox95

Speedcubeshop
July, arrived in SEPTEMBER
Awesome after break in and CRC on the balla mech. Huge hands, so the size doesn't matter. Prefer SS v3 though because it is faster.