• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

did I buy the right silicone spray?

mkriegs

I bought some of this stuff from a local auto parts store:

MD_M914.JPG

so I lubed my rubiks DIY (previously lubed with that stuff in the white syringe they give you) and my rubiks 4x4 (previously unlubed) with it. My DIY turns MUCH worse than it did before plus it sticks a lot when I first try to turn it, and my rubiks 4x4 remains relatively unchanged.

I checked the label on the can and it listed petroleum distillates as the first ingredient and silicone was only the third ingredient. So where can I get some 100% silicone spray? I checked Wal-Mart and they were completely sold out, then I checked a Wal-Mart 60 miles away and they were also completely sold out (which I found to be strange) so I ended up buying this stuff from an auto zone.

ps. is there a way to attach my stackmat to my computer? You know, so it keeps track of my times and such.

Last edited:

Inusagi

The lube that is best related to cubing is the one you can buy on pussleproz.com (I don't know if I wrote that rigth).

And stackmat can't connect with the computer. It's only the competition timer that can connect with the computer.

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There have in the past been a great many posts about lube.
The lube you got works, keep using your cube for about a day to break in the lube and it will be better. Most Cubers (or most who posted in the topics) prefer CRC with Jig-a-Lube in close second.
I used to use the stuff you have but switched to CRC.

A

andrewvo1324

it shoudl work but i heared it doesnt last long..

so i suggest using CRC heavy duty silicone (GOOD SUTFF CHEAP $1.80)

but it smells so bad ;[

for the stackmat i heared a certain version of it has one wher eu can hook it up?

Dyste

I first got this from Ace Hardware, but then I found that it had petroleum and that it just well emits a plain rancid and pungent odor. I didn't want that on my cube, so I got Pyroil Multi-purpose Silicone Spray. That left white blotches after it dried. I would call them temporary stains, since after a couple weeks of twisting, most of it was gone, but they were really distinct after first drying. So then I kind of abandoned that and got some Castle Pure Silicone Spray. So far, it's worked pretty well. I have not yet had the chance to experiment with CRC. Anyway, there's my little anecdote about how I got to using my current spray.

Dyste

I said I did, so that's why I didn't even try and use it. It's just sitting around. (That was either some ultra-fast response, or it wasn't intended to be towards me)

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha yea my post at the same time as you Dyste was to andrewvo1324. The smell from CRC is very minimal. When I switched from LiquidWrench to CRC I was pretty amazed due to the drastic difference in smell and in the time it takes to dry.