• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
"I'm fast without any additional subsets so don't learn any" is such a stupid viewpoint.
A few people could get official sub 20 LBL averages, or sub 10 4LLL averages, does that mean no one should learn F2L or 2LLL?

He asked for steps to learn so if you aren't going to offer any then stay quiet.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"I'm fast without any additional subsets so don't learn any" is such a stupid viewpoint.
A few people could get official sub 20 LBL averages, or sub 10 4LLL averages, does that mean no one should learn F2L or 2LLL?

No, but it's something to take into consideration when listening to people that know what they're talking about regarding which would be a better route to progression at the stage he is at.

He asked for steps to learn so if you aren't going to offer any then stay quiet.

There's nothing wrong with giving additional advice if we think we can educate someone on something.

We can offer guidance we think he requires that falls outside of his request.

Do not try and suppress our spread of useful information.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
idk both of the algs you post and I am nearly sub 10 ^^
e.g. means it's an example. I'm no saying they're what you should learn, but they're examples of what you should learn.
Do you mean MGLS? has anyone generated OLS algorithms that deal with all LS possibilities?
Nope, OLS. No one has generated full OLS algs; as far as I know only VLS and I think HLS have been generated. Full OLS would be 216*42 algs, which is a lot. It's over nine thousand.

SolveThatCube

WCA
2014ADCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Jeez, what crawled up your ass?

rsquaredcuber

WCA
2013RAMR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Things to learn after full OLL and PLL

Hi guys, I recently learned full OLL and PLL and am looking to learn something new, other than just refining my alga and getting sub 2 ll algs. Also, I know about WV, COLL, VHLS, and ZBLL. Anything else? If there is nothing else, could you please expand on WV, COLL, VHLS, and ZBLL? Anything that you could say that is not in the wiki? Any good videos you could guide me to? Thanks.

yoinneroid

WCA
2010UTOM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys, I recently learned full OLL and PLL and am looking to learn something new, other than just refining my alga and getting sub 2 ll algs. Also, I know about WV, COLL, VHLS, and ZBLL. Anything else? If there is nothing else, could you please expand on WV, COLL, VHLS, and ZBLL? Anything that you could say that is not in the wiki? Any good videos you could guide me to? Thanks.

well, there is OLLCP and OLS

I've actually made a list of things I'd like to learn as well, but it's pretty lengthy. Before moving on to any other algorithm set, I'd recommend refining OLL & PLL completely, because learning algs while still refining old ones is very stressful, trust me. If you'd like that list, I can give it to you. But first, refine OLL & PLL :)

rsquaredcuber

WCA
2013RAMR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for the advice! I will try to refine OLL and PLL first...good idea! It's just that, I want to become sub 12 by Nationals! xD I'm at like 15-16 right now..so lol. Also, could I see that list? This was pretty helpful!

Thank you for the advice! I will try to refine OLL and PLL first...good idea! It's just that, I want to become sub 12 by Nationals! xD I'm at like 15-16 right now..so lol. Also, could I see that list? This was pretty helpful!

refining OLL & PLL will help with the sub 12, not introducing new things you aren't used to :) but if you insist.. [ keep in mind this is my own personal list :) ]
basic XCross
useful F2L algs
COLL
basic multislotting
color neutrality (depends on your opinion on whether or not you think it's worth it)
situational:
easy VHLSs
easy ZBLLs
and that's about it. However, the non-algorithmic things in that list take a long time to get down and you probably wont be able to do that before nationals, so stick with refining OLLs and PLLs because that can lower your average more than new things. Theres a guide somewhere on here about recognizing PLLs, I suggest looking at that :)

Last edited:

SolveThatCube

WCA
2014ADCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WV
COLL
OLS
ELL
Anything you want.
I am learning full WV except for the 'No Corners Oriented' cases, full COLL except for 'Sune' and 'Anti-Sune', most of OLS-UF, and the ELL 3-Cycles with one edge solved. :D

Last edited:

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are basically two sets of stuff you can possibly learn.

1. Stuff to influence the OLL, basically OLS or VLS. subsetets of these include things like WV and MW.

2. Stuff to influence (or skip) pll. This includes ZBLL or OLLCP. Common sub steps of these are 2gll and coll respectively.

Other than these, things like ELL come in handy as well.

mns112

WCA
2014DESH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
algorithms to learn first in Last layer

Hey guys I want to know witch algorithms I should learn for better last layer
I would also be OK if you add ZBLL and stuff like that.
Currently I know 2 look OLL and am finishing full look PLL

CHJ

WCA
2012HALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OLL/PLL > COLL > just a few ZBLL's (recommend pure corner algs as can be easier than other subsets) and possibly a few OLLCP's
learning other algs can be good as predicting last layers and forcing skips is helpful, especially edge only algs as they can be lol

Bruce6335

WCA
2015WISE01
Should I learn CLL or OLL/PLL first?

I recently went to a competition and got these times: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2015WISE01
I am better on the 2x2 than the 3x3. I use Ortega method for the 2x2 and Fridrich for the 3x3. I recently started learning PLL for the 3x3 but then today learn't about the 2x2 method CLL which looks quicker and better than ortega. Should I get better at the 2x2 or 3x3 first?