• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Cube by Okamoto "Latch Cube"

Zubon

Hey guys,

Looking at the new Tribox site today and there seems to be a new cube designed by Okamoto. He is the guy who designed the void cube, floppy cube and a lot of other interesting puzzles.

It's called the "Latch Cube". I don't think there is an English page up yet but I did a very quick translation for those who can't read Japanese.

http://tribox.cart.fc2.com/ca94/258/p-r-s/

Latch Cube

This is a cube where the edge pieces can only move in a fixed direction.
In its solved position, three faces (gray, yellow and green) can only be turned anticlockwise. The other three faces (black, red and blue) can only be turned clockwise.

As you scramble the cube, if one face contains a clockwise arrow (white) as well as an anticlockwise arrow (black) then the face will be locked and unable to be turned.

Under these restrictions it is extremely difficult to solve.

So what do you guys think? It looks like the edge pieces that have an arrow on them can only turn one way. Probably because they have one-way latches (duh!) or something. You could probable do your own sticker mod to make this puzzle and just trust yourself not to "cheat" by turning a face against the arrows.

flan

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES03
surely you could do R3 instead of R'? maybe I'm stupid and I'm missing something but I can't see how this would really be different

blah

brah
surely you could do R3 instead of R'? maybe I'm stupid and I'm missing something but I can't see how this would really be different

As you scramble the cube, if one face contains a clockwise arrow (white) as well as an anticlockwise arrow (black) then the face will be locked and unable to be turned.
Too short.

correct
but for those who do algorithmes by muscle memories (which are most of speed cubers do) will have difficulties.
even tho someone is able to memorized(by muscle) all the OLL and PLL algorithms, chaging an R' with R3 and etc will slow him/her down, and i mean slow it down a lot.

Zubon

I think the main challenge with solving this cube is that faces that have edges with opposite arrows will be locked. I think this case comes up quite a lot.

The creator of this cube says it is "extremely difficult" to solve. This is the first time that I know that he has said this about any of his puzzles.

Chance

It still seems like a cool puzzle.

You can use Google Translate to view the website in English, which is what I am doing.

hmm your right... i had that problem with OH. still do infact

i've been imagining the cube again...
and i take back my words

here's the quote
"As you scramble the cube, if one face contains a clockwise arrow (white) as well as an anticlockwise arrow (black) then the face will be locked and unable to be turned."

that means (if i'm right) in scramble position, the arrow heads can be mixed up with others in 1 side. If this occurs, that 1 side wont be able to turn at all.

i think that's the "extremly difficult" take place.

Last edited:

Zubon

I read a post on twistypuzzles where a member managed to solve it. He said it took a "long time" to solve it. Judging by his post it looks like a very hard puzzle.

Whyusosrs?

wow. That looks like such a fun puzzle. I'm guessing it's impossible to completely lock up the cube by two opposite arrows on each side?

Feryll

WOW twenty four hundred yen!?!?! Isn't that like, a million Earth monies?
$27-$28