• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

"Use the search function"

daniel0731ex

in this forum, whenever a new or a newb posted a thread asking about a topic that have been posted several times in the past, most people's answer would usially be "search function." or "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!! SERIOUSLY WHY DON'T THESE NOOBS EVER GET IT???" etc.

The older members may answer briefly and remind the poster to use the search function next time (I also do that, but usually if it's too obvious of a question I just give them some link to the threads).
Whatever it is, I always thought that it is normal for most of the non-old member to make the "Use the search function" (UTSF) answers only. But today I realized that this is not really the case. I looked at numerous forums and found:

Question said:
Does Washington University in St. Louis have a good music program? I want to be a physician and so I am probably going to major in Biology, but my passion is vocal performance and I was wondering how the music program is there in case I want to double major. Also if anyone has any advice on other schools with good pre-med (biology)/music programs that I could double major, please let me know. Thanks!

Answer said:
There are a number of past threads here on double degrees/dual majors. Use the search this forum feature and you'll find them. Also, try "music and science".

.....(detailed answers)

Pointless "UTSF" answer = 0

Hmm, If it's in our forum it'd be:

SpeedSolving Question said:
Hey guys, I'm new here. Does anyone know where could I find XXX cube?
SpeedSolving Answer said:
search function
seasrch function.
USE THESEARCH FUNCTION!!!

Helpful reply = 0

I wonder what's so different about their forum from ours?

PS: one last thing:

attachment.php

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!

Attachments

• best.JPG
    best.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 200

dillonbladez

WCA
2010CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Many things on this forum annoy me, however I try not to care too much as I would go insane, move to canada, and start claiming I brought the cube back. This is one of the many things that annoy me, along with the similar, "use the one answer question thread". But I've stopped trying/caring because there will always be new people who don't search for stuff. It's a fact of life on the forum.

I've come to the conclusion that the good thing that could come out of repeat threads is new information that would otherwise not be disclosed without the creation of the repeat thread.

well, but that doesn't make a UTSF answer helpful, nor is making it effective in reminding the new member.

New members are supposed to read the forum rules first before they start posting.

PJK, the composer of said rules, said himself that users should not reply with a mere, "use the search function".