• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Voting Function on Speedsolving Wiki

AndyK

Premium Member
Hey everyone, I just customized a wiki extension that will allow all of us to vote on just about anything on the Speedsolving Wiki. This will be particularly useful for voting on algorithm "goodness/popularity" and rating different aspects of cubes.

I think the easiest way for you to see what this puppy does is to just check it out. I've set up a dummy wiki site so you can mess around with the extension.

Integration into the algorithm pages
Check out the dummy wiki page here: http://andrew.theklises.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vote (this link is now broken)
algrating.jpg

Cube Ratings
Check out the dummy wiki pages here:
cuberating.jpg
Note - you can click on the stars to vote​

Also, you can view how it works here: http://andrew.theklises.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:AlgVotewStyleChoice (this link is now broken)
Those aren't really instructions, but looking at the wiki code should give you an idea of how it works.

The thing to know about the extension is that you can't vote unless you are logged in, so you can create a new account or use this one on the dummy wiki if you like:
Username - Guest
Password - rubik

I think this extension will be of great benefit for three reasons:
  1. It will make all the alg pages much more palatable because newbies will be able to quickly find 1-2 algs to test out first.
  2. It will encourage more active use of the wiki because in order to vote you have to have a wiki account and you have to log in.
  3. It is an elegant solution to the "cube rating" problem

Note - remember if you don't like the idea of this extension, you can simply remove it from the wiki page you don't want it on

Thanks for your interest, I think it will be a great addition to the wiki and I hope you do too!

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks very nice, but it should definitely be limited to certain things.

Something that I think jtjogobonito once mentioned would be for each member to put in what alg they use for a certain case, and have algs organized by number of users.

Last edited:

hawkmp4

speedcubin? ;p

Constructive.

You say it only works if one is logged in- do you mean one can only vote if one is logged in?
I guess a clearer question would be, if one is not logged in, can one still see the ratings of others?

AndyK

Premium Member
speedcubin? ;p

Constructive.

You say it only works if one is logged in- do you mean one can only vote if one is logged in?
I guess a clearer question would be, if one is not logged in, can one still see the ratings of others?

I should have said that you can only vote if you are logged in. You can always see the vote tally. I will change that in my original post.

hawkmp4

Then I like this idea very much.
The important part, and hard part, is getting people to actually use it. It won't be very useful if nothing has more than 2 or 3 votes.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Man I really like the idea. I have been wanting to see a system similar to this in place for awhile. Is there any way though we could connect the forum user database to the wiki user database (so that we could have one login for both)? Even better yet, could we set the "remember me" cookie to work for both as well? I realize both are possible, I'm just curious about the feasibility.

AndyK

Premium Member
I like this idea. It is worth a go. I will send you a PM shortly.

Awesome, thanks man :) :)

Man I really like the idea. I have been wanting to see a system similar to this in place for awhile. Is there any way though we could connect the forum user database to the wiki user database (so that we could have one login for both)? Even better yet, could we set the "remember me" cookie to work for both as well? I realize both are possible, I'm just curious about the feasibility.

I don't think that it would be possible to sync the two user databases (even though that would be nice). Even if it were possible there would likely be unresolvable duplicate usernames.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I don't think that it would be possible to sync the two user databases (even though that would be nice). Even if it were possible there would likely be unresolvable duplicate usernames.

Could we check for duplicate usernames? I'm curious to see how many users are on the wiki compared to the forum, I'm still unregistered with the wiki (explains my lack of knowledge of what is in it, sort of), and bet a good portion of the valid (non spam accounts) users here (not necessarily active) don't have wiki logins either. Disregarding that though, what would be so difficult to at least link the remember me cookie?

And did you add the Cube Ratings after your original posts (in one of the edits)? I don't remember seeing that the first time I read the post and I just made a post about the same thing and made myself look like a fool!

Last edited: