• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SnappyShark

YouTube
Visit Channel
Both of you quit about the Zanchi, there are much better cubes than it but the Zanchi itself is also good but it isnt evolved, i would use one as i use a Yj Sulong and my time fastest is 9.4 seconds and Avg of 100 os 13.62

Kudz

Both of you quit about the Zanchi, there are much better cubes than it but the Zanchi itself is also good but it isnt evolved, i would use one as i use a Yj Sulong and my time fastest is 9.4 seconds and Avg of 100 os 13.62

Wooooow first person here who understand that good cuber makes good cube, not good cube makes good cuber!

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wooooow first person here who understand that good cuber makes good cube, not good cube makes good cuber!
That's stating the obvious and not even relevant. There are still differences that make some cubes better (objectively or subjectively) than others. Even bad drivers enjoy driving good cars, etc.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
First of all zhanchi is great choice. Every speedcube is good choice. Cube is great and you can learn things like accurate turning. You don't have to use maru.. use just sth-cube friendly.
IBA ples show me why zhanchi is bad, I got 40mm one and it is great, 57mm is too. Old plastic ones are still one of better cube out there. Basically zhanchi is great, I guess I could be sub you on my 40mm one, OH ofc.

Bump. This. Gotta learn accurate turning. Helps for later.

Coolio

Kudz

That's stating the obvious and not even relevant. There are still differences that make some cubes better (objectively or subjectively) than others. Even bad drivers enjoy driving good cars, etc.

Cube is not a car.
Enjoyment is not always what you need.
I can get same times on my main and on my aolong v2(RIP one, not usable). You would be right if this would be speedcube and Rubiks cube. Zhanchi is great and if I will have to I'll show you 40mm zhanchi solve which will be sub-me solve kn my main. Cuber>cube

Mystic

WCA
2016CAST14
So I'm about to buy a 3x3 GuoGuan YueXiao from Cubicle.us & I'm wondering what 2 lubes I should get for the core & pieces (if necessary)
because I'm not sure which brand or weight of lube works best on this specific cube.

Thanks. :)

ambo

A lot of lubrication questions

Hello :)
I'm not that new to cubing and I recently just bought a TangLong with Lubrication services(I think it was Lubix??)and I was extremely pleased with the results and would like to get some lube. However I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to lube so I have a few questions.

1. What do you think is the best lube to get overall?
2. I live in England so where would be the best place to order from?
3. Is industrial silicone lube any good?
4. What is cc?
5. What is k? (e.g 50k, 30k etc.)
6. shOUld i uSe inDStriL oiL ?!!1??!one11!?:p jk
Thanks

Felipe Rigon

WCA
2015RIGO01
Ok, let's do this:

1. Some kind of medium-high viscosity silicone should work well for lubrication of the pieces and the core of your cube.
2. You can look for traxxas differential oil in hobby stores or online.
3. I guess industrial silicone is used as sealant and adhesives, so you should not try to use it for lubrication purposes nor prosthetics.
4. I believe it's a short for cubic centimeter. One cc is equal to one milliliter.
5. The k indicates a thousand units (like one kilogram, kg, is equal to a thousand grams, g). When someone refers to a silicone oil as 30k or 50k, one is talking about its viscosity, but omitting the proper unit of viscosity (cP or cSt). Bigger the number, thicker the silicone oil will be.

I hope this is easy for understand. English is not my first language. :)

Last edited:

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
You could use Traxxas differential lube. I use 50k weight for my cube cores and 30k weight for my pieces. It's a great lube and it comes with a dropper cap, which works perfectly.

Just a side note, if you are looking for another speed cube after you've used your Zhanchi for a while, you could get a MoYu Hualong or maybe a Fangshi Guangying. They're both exceptional cubes and good for beginners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you use the same weight for both the pieces and and core? I don't want to spend extra $$ if you can use the same weight. And if you can use the same weight which one should I get?

Thanks for any info.:)

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
Could you use the same weight for both the pieces and and core? I don't want to spend extra $$ if you can use the same weight. And if you can use the same weight which one should I get?

Thanks for any info.:)

I don't use Traxxis but I think you can use 50k for both. But be warned, use the tiniest bit of 50k for the pieces. To be honest, the other option is not to lube the core. I personally can't tell the difference apart from possible spring noise...

mpowend

Release agent

Hi.
I recently found a silicone spray in my city. I searched for days to find it. I applied it once to my cube and it didn't dry after 6 hours! so I just cleaned it with a piece of paper towel and rebuilt the cube. It was certainly better after silicone.
Now after a week or so the silicone almost dried completely and I found some silicone residue in some parts of the cube. Today I noticed that it says "silicone release agent" on the spray container.
So is it okay to use a release agent as lube? anyone else had used this kind of silicone? Also what's you opinion about sewing machine oil?
BTW my cube is Dayan 2 guhong and I'm in Iran, so I can't buy CRC or other famous ones like jig a loo.

Last edited:

puzzl3add1ct

Hi.
I recently found a silicone spray in my city. I searched for days to find it. I applied it once to my cube and it didn't dry after 6 hours! so I just cleaned it with a piece of paper towel and rebuilt the cube. It was certainly better after silicone.
Now after a week or so the silicone almost dried completely and I found some silicone residue in some parts of the cube. Today I noticed that it says "silicone release agent" on the spray container.
So is it okay to use a release agent as lube? anyone else had used this kind of silicone? Also what's you opinion about sewing machine oil?
BTW my cube is Dayan 2 guhong and I'm in Iran, so I can't buy CRC or other famous ones like jig a loo.

CRC and jig-a-loo are not popular lubes anymore...... U must be relying on outdated information. Try buying differential oil instead.

mpowend

CRC and jig-a-loo are not popular lubes anymore...... U must be relying on outdated information. Try buying differential oil instead.

Is it same as gear oil?
Is any type or brand of differential oil going to work? It doesn't seem that hard to find after all.

antech101

WCA
2016BAKE01
Choosing lube for a dayan zhanchi

So currently my only cube is my dayan zhanchi, and i'd like to (finally) lube it, i've been looking at the cubicle lubes and i think i'm ganna go with that. Just wondering what weight types i should get (1-5) for the core and the pieces, i'm looking at 4 for the core, and 3 for the pieces, thanks!

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
4-5 for the core and 1-3 for the pieces depending on how you like your cube. Anyway the amount you put makes the difference, even more than the specific weight. So, even if you put wt. 2 don't put too much, the more so is you use heavier lube.

Killbox

I have a Weilong V2 and a YJ Sulong.
Usually I don't spend money on lubes,cuz I don't ha much of it,and just lube it with vaseline or something.
People who say vaseline 'destroys ' the Cube are right in a way. What it actually does is remove a very thin layer of plastic from the cubies,reducing friction. So if used excessively, like every week, it will destroy it. But if used carefully,once every month, nothing 's likely to happen to it.
My Sulong and Weilong are perfectly fine after around 2 years of usage(maybe less)

So recently I got maru lube. It worked great for a day or two,then it lost its effect. But my Cube was certainly affected in the long term by Maru, just slightly so I could notice the difference. So I apply maru every month,otherwise it's just a waste.

Then one day I ran out of vaseline and maru both.
I decided to experiment. I wanted to try cooking oil,but I couldn't find the damn thing.
So I took some coconut hair oil,and applied a few drops,just like with Maru.
It worked magically. My Cube felt better than my friends Aolong lubed with lubix. It didn't lose its touch until a month.

So my new favourite lube is coconut hair oil. It's too cheap and works too well,and lasts long.
Perfect.