• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
The 60k is thicker than the 30k and so if you put on the same amount of 30 and 60 the 30 is thinner and will make your cube faster. Whereas the 60k will gum up the cube and make it slower. However the 60k will make the cube smoother if applied in small enough amounts so to not gum it up.

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone else tried maru cushion lube? It's kind of interesting, first of all don't use a lot because it will slow down your cube a ton. If you use just a little it creates an extremely smooth feeling. I like my cubes to feel a bit more tactile, but if super smooth is your thing you might want to try this stuff out.

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
Has anyone else tried maru cushion lube? It's kind of interesting, first of all don't use a lot because it will slow down your cube a ton. If you use just a little it creates an extremely smooth feeling. I like my cubes to feel a bit more tactile, but if super smooth is your thing you might want to try this stuff out.

How is it compared to normal maru lube? I dont have either but I might get one

Tanish

WCA
2015AGAR11
Which lube should I get?

So, lately, I've been wanting to buy a new lube. Which one do you guys think is best for 1. The pieces 2. The hardware
I've seen many videos about lubing so is it always better to lube both the pieces and the hardware (core), or is it fine if we just lube one of these.

Some popular lubes- Traxxas, Cubicle, Lubix(too expensive), Calvin, Maru

Which one should I buy and why

Last edited:
WCA
2015NADA01
So, lately, I've been wanting to buy a new lube. Which one do you guys think is best for 1. The pieces 2. The hardware
I've seen many videos about lubing so is it always better to lube both the pieces and the hardware (core), or is it fine if we just lube ones of these.

Some popular lubes- Traxxas, Cubicle, Lubix(too expensive), Calvin, Maru

Which one should I buy and why
From my experience it seems that it's always better to lube both pieces and core, but you have to put a small amount on the pieces, otherwise your cube will become slow.
For the core I recommend Traxxas 50k, and for the pieces some type of low viscosity silicone-based lube, like Cubicle wt.2 or something.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
From my experience it seems that it's always better to lube both pieces and core, but you have to put a small amount on the pieces, otherwise your cube will become slow.
For the core I recommend Traxxas 50k, and for the pieces some type of low viscosity silicone-based lube, like Cubicle wt.2 or something.

I think putting small amounts of high viscosity lube on the cubes is good enough.

jackrosie03

YouTube
Visit Channel
First ways to get in the hang of lubing

I have a Moyu Hualong and I really enjoy it, but I want it to be faster and live longer. I am a huge fan of JR Cuber, and on almost every cube he adjusts the tension and lubricates the puzzle, and it makes it a lot better. I want to begin lubing, but I do not want to mess up my cubes when getting into it because I can not afford to ruin a cube with only 600 solves on it. Please give me tips when lubing and adjusting tensions as well as lubes to use for a experienced speedcuber but a new hardware guy. Thanks

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some good lubes to get are Maru lube to speed cubes up and something like Lubix (or a cheaper version like one of thecubicle's lubes) to make them smooth. Personally, I mainly use Maru and Lubix, but I'm not too experienced with lubing. It's also important to tension cubes until they're good for you. To make a cube faster, you could either loosen it, add a few drops of Maru lube, or both. Remember that if you completely fail at lubing or tensioning, you can always wipe the lube out or re-tension, so don't be afraid to experiment. :)

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Most tutorials tell you to lube the core, but this isnt necessary. The first time I tried it, I lost a screw. If you dont feel comfortable lubing the core, you dont have to. I still dont lube the core of my cubes: it takes way too long and the difference is barely noticeable. A little bit of lube on the pieces goes a long way. Just pop an edge, put a line of lube on it, put it back and you're done.

WCA
2014ATTI01
Most tutorials tell you to lube the core, but this isnt necessary. The first time I tried it, I lost a screw. If you dont feel comfortable lubing the core, you dont have to. I still dont lube the core of my cubes: it takes way too long and the difference is barely noticeable. A little bit of lube on the pieces goes a long way. Just pop an edge, put a line of lube on it, put it back and you're done.

Your cube WILL last longer with lube on the core because it prevents the center plastic from being grinded on constantly by the washer.

NSWishCuber

hello! if you have spring noises, you want to lube the core. lubing the core also makes it last longer. watch crazybadcubers tutorial on how to lube a zhanchi. for the core, i recommend either wt4 or wt5 from the cubicle.us. As for the pieces, there are a wide variety of lubes that are good. i recommend using cubicle lubes wt 3 or lower or lubicle regular. (also watch crazybad's tutorial on how to lube a zhanchi) to top all of that off, maru lube is great to make your cubes very fast but reapply it once every 2 weeks or so as it wears off. hope this helps. As for tensioning, if you want a perfectly tensioned cube, disassemble the puzzle completely and make sure the screws are in STRAIGHT. then set them all to an even but loose tension. you can tell the tension by pulling the center piece away from the core. assemble the puzzle and then if you want to, tighten every side exactly 1 wrist turn until it is perfect for you!