• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
How often do you clean and lube your cube?

I got my first DIY cube about 4 months ago and I loved it right away. It's a C4Y brand. I put it together without trouble and lubed it with jigaloo. I've noticed that after a while it wasn't quite as fast as when I first put it together so I assumed that it just needed more lube. So I put the same amount as the first time. It didnt seem to help. I noticed also that it was dusty inside so I looked into what ppl would do to clean it and found that you should clean it out once in a while and then lube after cleaning (OOPS). It never occured to me that regular maintenance would have to be done on my cube.

I've noticed since that after cleaning and lubing again that after 100-200 solves later its right back to being dusty and slow again.

So my question is this: Is it normal to have to clean it so often and if so how often do people clean and maintain their cube?

Apologies if this has been discussed many times over but I'm new around here and I find it difficult to find answers to my questions.

Last edited:

nickamir

Lubix help

I own lubix but not silicone and want to lube a 2x2. However, there are no videos on how to lube a vcube a lanlan with lubix so how would I lubricate my 2x2 with lubix.

Kurbitur

I got my first DIY cube about 4 months ago and I loved it right away. It's a C4Y brand. I put it together without trouble and lubed it with jigaloo. I've noticed that after a while it wasn't quite as fast as when I first put it together so I assumed that it just needed more lube. So I put the same amount as the first time. It didnt seem to help. I noticed also that it was dusty inside so I looked into what ppl would do to clean it and found that you should clean it out once in a while and then lube after cleaning (OOPS). It never occured to me that regular maintenance would have to be done on my cube.

I've noticed since that after cleaning and lubing again that after 100-200 solves later its right back to being dusty and slow again.

So my question is this: Is it normal to have to clean it so often and if so how often do people clean and maintain their cube?

Apologies if this has been discussed many times over but I'm new around here and I find it difficult to find answers to my questions.

I clean my cube jus when i feel it gettin slower. I useualy just take paper towel and wipe off all dust and old lube and then relube.

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
I clean my cube jus when i feel it gettin slower. I useualy just take paper towel and wipe off all dust and old lube and then relube.

What kind of cube do you have? Do you apply the lube to the core or the sides of the pieces themselves?

nickamir

If u could just make a short video on where to lube it once it's taken apart, that would be great. But I know how to put it back together.

THANKS

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
If u could just make a short video on where to lube it once it's taken apart, that would be great. But I know how to put it back together.

THANKS

When you take it apart you see basically a 3x3. Lubix it the way a normal 3x3 is lubixed but instead of putting the last drop on an edge piece put it on one of the flat areas of the corner.

Kurbitur

i own quiet a few cubes but i use mostly my guhong atm. And i have just recently started lubing the core. I also put a bid of lube as Crazybadcuber did in his video on how to assemble and lube your cube. What kind of cube do you own?

R4TCLAW

I'm very new to the forums and this is my first post! I am not only new to the forums but also speed cubing. I have known how to solve a cube for a while now but have recently started speed cubing. I have a question and I think I've come to the right thread. Now for my question, what is the difference in 2cc 4cc and 8cc in the lubix brand lube? This is what I'm talking about - http://shop.speedsolving.com/product-category/puzzle-lubricant/

N1ck

Help! I lubed my V-Cube 5 and it got slower!

Hello everyone, I modded my V-Cube 5 today and it worked great! Then, I decided to lube it with Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray (plastic safe, no acetone) and immediately my cube slowed way down :( I dissembled my cube and wiped all of the lube off and it's better but it is still slow. I need help! I think it has something to do with the internal mechanism...any suggestions? Also, what is the best kind of lube for V-cube 5 and any other bigger cubes?

I need the help as soon as possible, because if there is nothing I can do then I will order a Shengshou 5x5 to replace it

Last edited by a moderator:

monkeytherat

Hello everyone, I modded my V-Cube 5 today and it worked great! Then, I decided to lube it with Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray (plastic safe, no acetone) and immediately my cube slowed way down :( I dissembled my cube and wiped all of the lube off and it's better but it is still slow. I need help! I think it has something to do with the internal mechanism...any suggestions? Also, what is the best kind of lube for V-cube 5 and any other bigger cubes?

I need the help as soon as possible, because if there is nothing I can do then I will order a Shengshou 5x5 to replace it

Generally with aerosol lubricant, the cube turns poorly for a while, and just requires breaking in (and a lot of it for bigger cubes) Just solve it and give it time. If the problem persists, make sure the pieces fit well, you may have to sand them and/or loosen the cube a bit. If all else fails, try replacing the whole core (screws and springs too). I wouldn't try any of the latter options until you are sure it wont get better by breaking it in more.

Also, in the future, lube your big cubes with differential oil or shock oil (traxxas, ofna, lubix, maru, etc). Don't replace te cube unless you were planning to before your cube started turning badly.

Last edited by a moderator:

N1ck

Generally with aerosol lubricant, the cube turns poorly for a while, and just requires breaking in (and a lot of it for bigger cubes) Just solve it and give it time. If the problem persists, make sure the pieces fit well, you may have to sand them and/or loosen the cube a bit. If all else fails, try replacing the whole core (screws and springs too). I wouldn't try any of the latter options until you are sure it wont get better by breaking it in more.

Also, in the future, lube your big cubes with differential oil or shock oil (traxxas, ofna, lubix, maru, etc). Don't replace te cube unless you were planning to before your cube started turning badly.

Thank you so much, I will do my best to break it in. I plan on purchasing lubix soon for use in the future, and if worse comes to worse I will order a new core for the cube. Thanks again!

Outsmash

Where I live, i don't get any of the popular lubes but I read up on the wiki that Lubix is nothing but PDMS (Polydimethylsiloxane).
If I get this from a chemist or a hobby store, and apply it, would it be the same?

has anyone tried this?