• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, quick question, is the guoguan yuexiao better or thunderclap? Price does not really matter, just performance. I avg about 14.7 and use a meiying

If you like the Meiying I would say: go for the YueXiao, as it looks like an improvement on the Meiying.

Also, as an alternative to the Thunderclap there is the new X-Man Design Tornado, which seems to be also amazing, based on some first impressions video I watched yesterday and is, in the same fashion as Cong's Design & Guoguan spin-offs from Moyu, a spin-off from QiYi, so a natural evolution of the Thunderclap, I'd say.

Both the YueXiao and Tornado seem to have the best corner cutting on the market right now with barely a zone where they would not cut at all so, if you go too far away, in the line-to-line zone, they almost instantly go from direct cutting to reverse cutting. Not sure if that is good or bad... probably a source of messed up algs?

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you like the Meiying I would say: go for the YueXiao, as it looks like an improvement on the Meiying.

I have both and, no the TueXiao is not an improved MeiYing. They both can cut the same. The YueXiao is a few grams heavier and much more contact between pieces. If you want the pieces to have a lot of contact with each other then yes but if you liked the airiness of the MeiYing than you might not like it.

Personally I think the Thunderclap is an overall nicer cube than the YueXiao for my personal preference.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03

Also, as an alternative to the Thunderclap there is the new X-Man Design Tornado, which seems to be also amazing, based on some first impressions video I watched yesterday and is, in the same fashion as Cong's Design & Guoguan spin-offs from Moyu, a spin-off from QiYi, so a natural evolution of the Thunderclap, I'd say.

Both the YueXiao and Tornado seem to have the best corner cutting on the market right now with barely a zone where they would not cut at all so, if you go too far away, in the line-to-line zone, they almost instantly go from direct cutting to reverse cutting. Not sure if that is good or bad... probably a source of messed up algs?

If somebody starts messing up algs because there's too much corner cutting, then he or she has to figure out how to turn more accurately, haha.

Coolio

Cristobal

Hi, I've been cubing for 2 weeks now, my average time is around 2'30 (beginner's method), so cubes don't really make a big difference at this stage. However, I've got a Thunderclap, a Yulong and a Guanlong (best times are 1'56 with a Thunderclap, 1'58 with the Yulong), all stickerless.

On one hand the Thunderclap is slightly too loose for me, I'm not experienced enough to fully exploit its potential, and the Guanlong is too light, I just use it as a back up cube or for cubing while commuting, it's expendable. On the other hand I really enjoy the Yulong, the feeling, the noise and the weight (slightly heavier than the Thunderclap). Although it's probably a middle range cube, it's clearly my favorite.

So based from my observations, what would be the right cube to upgrade from the Yulong? (stickerless or white/primary/original colour)

Last edited:

willtri4

WCA
2015BELO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I've been cubing for 2 weeks now, my average time is around 2'30 (beginner's method), so cubes don't really make a big difference at this stage. However, I've got a Thunderclap, a Yulong and a Guanlong (best times are 1'56 with a Thunderclap, 1'58 with the Yulong), all stickerless.

On one hand the Thunderclap is slightly too loose for me, I'm not experienced enough to fully exploit its potential, and the Guanlong is too light, I just use it as a back up cube or for cubing while commuting, it's expendable. On the other hand I really enjoy the Yulong, the feeling, the noise and the weight (slightly heavier than the Thunderclap). Although it's probably a middle range cube, it's clearly my favorite.

So based from my observations, what would be the right cube to upgrade from the Yulong? (stickerless or white/primary/original colour)

If you want a heavier, more stable cube the Tanglong is a great choice.

Kudz

Decide when you'll be sub 50/40 now it's pointless.

Also I think this thread can be closed right now. Qiyi squan is always the best anwser <3

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel

If you really enjoy the Yulong, my recommendation would be to stay with it. The Yulong is a version of the Chilong with pieces built in a way that allows for stickerless variants (the corner is in 3 pieces and the edges in 2). Why do I tell you this? Because I was liking my Chilong a lot, it was my main for maybe a year. Then I started to look for something better and bought like 5-6 different cubes, including Yueying, Meiying, Tanglong, Thunderclap... And you know what? I recently got my Chilong back, after 6 months of trying other cubes... and I still like it as much as any other cube and I do the exact same times of better than with the other, supposedly better, cubes.

So, unless you have a collector soul, like I have, and don't mind spending some money on cubes that you will end up not using (you only can use one at a time :)) you are not losing anything by staying with your Yulong. I have recently gotten my PB single with my old Chilong :)

I mean, I am a bit below sub-20 on average, and certainly can do 13-14 sec full step solves so, you can take my word, the cube is not what's stopping you from getting better at your level. That Yulong can get sub-7 times in the right hands. Maybe you could be some couple tenths of a second faster with a better cube? Well, yes, but you will know that when you get there. I have certainly not gotten there yet and I plan on using my Chilong for as long as it lasts... and maybe get a new one when mine dies.

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
I'm sort of starting a collection and I have most of the good current cubes, but I want to get some of the better ones from the past as well. Is there any reason to pick up any of the older YJ 3x3's? I already have a GuanLong, but considering grabbing a ChiLong, SuLong, and YuLong for my collection because they are so dang cheap. Good additions to the collection or just a waste of money at this point?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sort of starting a collection and I have most of the good current cubes, but I want to get some of the better ones from the past as well. Is there any reason to pick up any of the older YJ 3x3's? I already have a GuanLong, but considering grabbing a ChiLong, SuLong, and YuLong for my collection because they are so dang cheap. Good additions to the collection or just a waste of money at this point?

Not sure if you want them just for collection purposes or you only want them to be decent speedcubes as well. But anyway, I'm going to share my experience with you. I'm not a very fast cuber but I think I'm decent. I used a YJ Chilong as my main for almost a year, then I changed and during the 6 following months I tried lots of newer cubes. Yueying, Meiying, Tanglong... and finally I have come back to my Chilong. Sure, it doesn't have the greatest reverse corner cutting but it is very stable, not too fast (so very controllable) and has a very nice smooth feel. I also have a Sulong, which I used a lot as well, but not now, as I prefer the Chilong. The Yulong is supposed to be just a Chilong constructed differently so that it allows for stickerless versions (so, three-piece corners, etc.).

All in all, any of those cubes are definitely worth of any 3x3 collection and, as you said, at the price they are now, they're a ripoff. I just beat my PB single the other day... with my old YJ Chilong so, yeah, go buy them already! :)

zen3gr

Hello everyone!

Im looking for a 4x4 to buy. I want it to be cheap enough but also decent; I have no idea on how to solve a 4x4 but I would like a cube that could be my main when Im able to speedsolve the 4x4. I know how to solve 3x3 (pb is 37 sec and i solve generally 40-50 seconds).
So, I've asked the same question in a live chat and they guys over there told me to buy YJ Guansu.

Whats your opinion, what 4x4 shall i buy and from what eshop? I like one that has free shipping and fast delivery times. (Is aliexpress and zcube.hk any good for cube orders? Because i saw them having some cubes at really really low prices)

Thanks for your time

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
Based on what you want from the cube, the YJ gaunsu is probably the best bet. I have heard numerous times, that it is the best 4x4 and also one of the cheapest.

As for the shop, cubezz.com has really low prices, but fairly long shipping times ( 4-5 weeks for me in Canada), but it is free. The shipping time does depend on where you live though.

speedcubeshop.com has fair prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service. They are an US based store, so if you are US resident, shipping is fast.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I agree but not from personal experience that it is a very good 4x4 and one of the cheapest as well. I have been recommended to get one as better than my Aosu that was much more expensive. Another good choice would be the Cyclone Boys G4 but it needs more breaking in and set-up and the Guansu seems to be quite good out of the box (and cheaper) so, I'd go with that.

mmmdin

Cube size

My hand are quite small and I use a 56 mm shengshou aurora. I'm just wondering if i should use a smaller cube b'cause my M slices are slow. My hand is 6.5 inches from the tip of my finger to the beginning of my palm.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
My hand are quite small and I use a 56 mm shengshou aurora. I'm just wondering if i should use a smaller cube b'cause my M slices are slow. My hand is 6.5 inches from the tip of my finger to the beginning of my palm.

If you think your hand is too small for a regular 56-47mm cube you don't lose much by trying out 54.5 or something like that. With the reduction from 57 to 56 in almost all new cubes, though, there are not many new cubes in mini size, so you'll maybe have to settle for a mini weilong / aolong or even a 55mm zhanchi.

EDIT: To add my own question without double posting :)

I am starting to solve 5x5. I'm still a complete patzer (PB over 6 minutes) and I'm still not very good at 4x4 either (barely under 2 minutes). In case I become more confortable with big cubes would you recommend I get into 6x6 and 7x7? and In that case, are the shengshou 6x6 and 7x7 mini good enough? I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on an Aoshi and Aofu GT and there are no other options that I know of. Does anybody know of any rumors of Yuxin, CB or others making good and somewhat cheap 6x6 or 7x7 to compete with Moyu and SS? Because I have a lot to improve on 4x4 and 5x5 so I can affort to wait some months :)

Last edited:

notafastcuber

I just got that cube a few days ago and I love it. I broke it in with about 20-30 solves then lubed it with 30k and its super smooth. Its a really hard plastic, so it was smooth at first, but the lubing just made it faster. I have had some funky pops and lockups though, but I think that they were from user error. For a first cube, I would get it because of its price. The Stickers it came with were really good as well. They were bright and had great contrast. I still re-stickered it though.

jaskiratubhi

Cube for intermediate cuber?

Hi, my average is about 30 sec and i use moyu aolong v2 which is uncontrolable for me and due to this reason i overshoot and have quite of mini lock ups.

There are tons of cubes and reviews but I did not find them much useful as most of them do not have the same opinions.
I was looking for a not so fast but controllable cube with minimum lockups.
I am sorry for asking such a vague question but I am left with no other choice.Please help me with your experience with cubes.

jaredye

Right now I average about 20s. I also have Aolong V2 but I think the problem isn't really it's too fast. It's a bit blocky so if you don't turn accurately you're gonna have lockups. For this reason, I think you might like Hualong as it's very smooth. The drawback of Hualong is that it tends to pop if you turn roughly, and it also doesn't prevent corner twisting that well. Thunderclap can be good but it's a bit like Aolong, so if you don't like Aolong you might not like it.

If you want really stable cube with minimal lockup, Tanglong can also be a good choice, although I feel it's a bit too slow for me. What I do to my Tanglong is I trim 1/4 of the spring so the cube is bit looser and faster. Gans 356 also prevents catches quite well but I feel it wiggles too much. If you feel Aolong V2 is too fast you probably won't like it.

I haven't tried all the prominent 3x3 on the market, but among the ~10 cubes I have, I would recommend Hualong and Tanglong. To better help us make the recommendation, I think it might be helpful if you post a video of you solving the cube so we can see your turning style.

Finally some cubes you definitely want to avoid:
Aolong GT: It's even more blocky than V2. I imagine you'll find it miserable to play with.
Gans 357: It's super fast, kind blocky and also wiggles a lot. It's entire opposite of what you want.
Older gen cubes like Weilong and Zhanchi: I imagine your turns might not be very accurate. You might have poping or corner twisting problems with those.