• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Psyph3r

Here is an odd questions. I have a large selection of 3x3's about 10 speed cubes total but I cannot decide on a main. Is there a process that you go through in order to tell which color scheme, plastic, and cube works best for you?

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
Here is an odd questions. I have a large selection of 3x3's about 10 speed cubes total but I cannot decide on a main. Is there a process that you go through in order to tell which color scheme, plastic, and cube works best for you?

It doesn't matter. If it doesn't pop/corner twist every solve, isn't locky, and corner cuts more then 1/3 of a cubie, it is sub 10 capable.
Pick whichever one feels the nicest too you.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel

I also have like 10 or 12 3x3 speedcubes. All of them are great (almost any modern speed cube is). How did I decide on my main? Simple, I tried them all for at least a couple of days and an Ao100 every day. Most of them I tried them for much longer (like weeks or months) and in the end I sticked to the one that felt better. That's the one I feel more comfortable with / get the most consistent solves with. I used an Aolong v1 for months and I was happy with it but a little annoyed by the frequent corner twists, then I got a Chilong and it has a great feeling too but without the corner twists so right now this is my main. Before that I used a Zhanchi which I liked but was not really fond of and a Sulong which I really loved and I still use frequently.

Other cubes I liked but did not last as long as "months" were the Huanying, the SS Aurora and the Weilong which I still use a lot but I have it in a fast setting with light lube (wt 2) so I just use it to see if I can tame it (and I can't), hehehe. Other cubes I didn't like and only used for some days or weeks were the FS Shuan Ren, the Yuxin or mini Weilong (too small for me even for OH, otherwise a great cube) and my last one (have not used it much yet) is the Gans 357, which I can't seem to be able to control but looks like a lightning fast cube for someone with the necessary skills (like Feliks, hehehe).

I come back to try abandoned cubes from time to time, just to see if what didn't fit well some months earlier is better now because of my improved skills, etc. but I have been sticking 90% of the time to my Chilong for more than half a year now.

Hope that this helps!

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I also have over a dozen 3x3s and I settled on my main (the SuLong) much the same way as mafergut described. Just take sufficient time with each cube to figure out which one yields the best results.

My main sits on my desk where I do most of my timed solves. I also keep a cube out in the kitchen/living area where I do a lot of casual solves and occasional timed solves. I cycle through all the other cubes and use them as my casual cube for few weeks at a time. It's shocking sometimes how different they can feel when returning to them. If another cubes starts to work better for me, I'll switch it out for my main.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also have over a dozen 3x3s and I settled on my main (the SuLong) much the same way as mafergut described. Just take sufficient time with each cube to figure out which one yields the best results.

My main sits on my desk where I do most of my timed solves. I also keep a cube out in the kitchen/living area where I do a lot of casual solves and occasional timed solves. I cycle through all the other cubes and use them as my casual cube for few weeks at a time. It's shocking sometimes how different they can feel when returning to them. If another cubes starts to work better for me, I'll switch it out for my main.

Yeah, I remember from other posts that you love your Sulong. I am fond of mine as well, probably my 2nd choice. In some aspects it is better than my Chilong but it also catches a bit more. One of my best Ao5 I did with my Sulong right after cleaning and lubing it. I think the only reason I prefer the Chilong is because I have my custom color scheme on it. I have to resticker the Sulong and see how it goes but it's a pitty to resticker a cube when the original stickers are still like new. :)

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Yeah, I remember from other posts that you love your Sulong. I am fond of mine as well, probably my 2nd choice. In some aspects it is better than my Chilong but it also catches a bit more. One of my best Ao5 I did with my Sulong right after cleaning and lubing it. I think the only reason I prefer the Chilong is because I have my custom color scheme on it. I have to resticker the Sulong and see how it goes but it's a pitty to resticker a cube when the original stickers are still like new. :)

The SuLong is feeling a tad blocky and catchy for me right now. I almost switched to the ShuangRen V2 but it was still a hair too uncontrollable for me. I'll have to give the ChiLong another fair shake.

I hear you about the stickers. I resticker all of my cubes when I get them so that I'm not biased by the color scheme. I wish I could just get them unstickered so I don't have to feel bad.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
The SuLong is feeling a tad blocky and catchy for me right now. I almost switched to the ShuangRen V2 but it was still a hair too uncontrollable for me. I'll have to give the ChiLong another fair shake.

I hear you about the stickers. I resticker all of my cubes when I get them so that I'm not biased by the color scheme. I wish I could just get them unstickered so I don't have to feel bad.

If it's becoming more catchy perhaps it just needs some thorough cleaning and relubing. It works for me at least. Unless it is just too worn out, if you do thousands of solves :)

I would also like to get the cubes unstickered. It would save a lot of hard work peeling them and cleaning afterwards. But yeah, I have to stop feeling bad and just restickering them up front.

The ShuangRen V2 (not the newer Guangying) is not my cup of tea. It is fast but I tends to do unintended turns on me :( The only cubes I have not tried yet and I would like to, from the new cubes, I mean, are the Liying and Yueying (I gather they are similar). I liked the Huanying so perhaps I'll get one of those but I can't decide which. Can anybody help here?

EvanCahill

I can solve a 3x3 in around 1:10 using beginner's method, and I have thought about learning f2l and trying to become a sub 20 solver. I currently have a white unlubed shengshou cube and was wondering whether I needed to get a "speedcube" or whether my current cube is good enough. What speedcube would you recommend if you think I need a speedcube.
P.S. I know that getting a speedcube will not magically improve my time.
I also just wanted to thank everyone in the site for helping me grow as a cuber and sharing in a common interest most people find dumb.

JeffDelucia

WCA
2010DELU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can solve a 3x3 in around 1:10 using beginner's method, and I have thought about learning f2l and trying to become a sub 20 solver. I currently have a white unlubed shengshou cube and was wondering whether I needed to get a "speedcube" or whether my current cube is good enough. What speedcube would you recommend if you think I need a speedcube.
I also just wanted to thank everyone in the site for helping me grow as a cuber and sharing in a common interest most people find dumb.

I wouldnt bother with a new cube if I were you, at your current stage 90% of your improvement will come from practice, I doubt your cube is holding you back.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I agree with JeffDelucia, I wouldn't worry so much about it. I had a Shengshou Aurora until i was sub 30. The cube that most people say is an all around good cube is the MoYu Aolong V2. You cannot really go wrong with that.

NooberCuber

I want to get another 3x3 and I can't decide between the Hualomg or the Yuxin

Does the more circular center affect recognition at all?
smaller stickers mess up my recog so I was curious
i still need to see reviews of the Hualong though
also i've aeen that some people have had issus with the cores breakimg
will so,ething like a dayan core or a cubeforyou core work with the yuxin pieces?

I have a weilong v2 which is my main and an aolong v2 which is my backup

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to get another 3x3 and I can't decide between the Hualomg or the Yuxin

Does the more circular center affect recognition at all?
smaller stickers mess up my recog so I was curious
i still need to see reviews of the Hualong though
[...]
I have a weilong v2 which is my main and an aolong v2 which is my backup

In my case, the circular center sticker did affect OLL recognition a bit at the beginning but it's something you can get used to fairly quickly, I assume. It happened to me with the Gans 357 more than with the Yuxin (and, of course, it still happens with 4x4, because I don't practice at all).

If you want a new 3x3, having a Weilong and Along I'm not sure the Hualong is going to be that different or better (1st impressions out there are mixed about the Hualong). If you really want to try something different I'd go with a Yuxin or Gans 357 or the new 356, if you want to try the rounded edges thing (I haven't liked it that much) or other things like Yueying or Liying, Guangying...

King Mike

In my experience, cubes are at their fastest when they are barely lubed. If you overlube a little bit, it will slow the cube down quite a bit.

I completely ruined my Weilong v2 by over lubing it with silicone..... even though I wiped it all off it still feels terrible compared to my Aolong.

OkinawaSolver

I'm planning on getting a 42mm zhanchi because it's pocket size and I have tiny hands should I get stickered or stickerless?