• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Animorpher13

WCA
2015ELSP01
What megaminx should I buy?

I just got back from my first comp, and it was awesome (watching a world record happen was definitely a highlight). I've now decided that i want to get into a bunch of puzzles, including Megaminx. But I am having trouble finding one that is good in quality and price. Could i get some recommendations? Also, ridges or no ridges (what works best for you)?

Last edited:

JemFish

I use the Shengshou megaminx, and it's not bad - it's very smooth but locks up quite a bit. It has a reasonable price too.

Last edited:
S

Scruggsy13

I'm using an MF8 v3, although I am looking into the Dayan. Both are viable options.

I'm using an MF8 v3, although I am looking into the Dayan. Both are viable options.

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
Aoshi owners who also own a SS 6x6 (modded or unmodded), how do they compare? Considering splurging on the Aoshi, but I've heard that it has popping problems that result in explosions and that it feels either too loose or too tight. Opinions?

In your opinion, is it worth the upgrade from a SS 6x6?

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Aoshi owners who also own a SS 6x6 (modded or unmodded), how do they compare? Considering splurging on the Aoshi, but I've heard that it has popping problems that result in explosions and that it feels either too loose or too tight. Opinions?

In your opinion, is it worth the upgrade from a SS 6x6?

My stock AoShi is significantly better than my stock SS 6x6. The AoShi is stable and forgiving and the SS is borderline unusable. Though not quite perfect, I think it is well worth the upgrade.

Bruce6335

WCA
2015WISE01
Dayan Zanchi or Moyu Aolong V2?

I am looking for a new, stickered cube. Which do you think is better and why? I haven't found a good answer on any forum yet.

Blurry

Aolong - As Johnny said above it will happily match your tps. I've tried executing algorithms so fast to try and pop it and have accidentally done them correctly. I'd recommend it.

Bruce6335

WCA
2015WISE01
I am looking for a new, stickered cube. Which do you think is better and why? I haven't found a good answer on any forum yet.

Which one catches less? I have a Stickerless Dayan Zanchi but I want a stickered cause I want to go to a competition soon. Does the Moyu Aolong v2 catch less than the zanchi?

dan41

fangshi shuang ren is really fast out of the box. maybe too fast. beats my zhanshi and aolong easily on the friction (almost none) but the stickers were poorly aligned. moyu and dayan were better on sticker alignment.

zhanshi has big 15mm square stickers, easier to find fitting replacements but also tend to peel easily. default color scheme is the standard, not some weird one that fails to distinguish colors as soon as the lightiing is imperfect... (like the moyu aolong).

Today my choice would be fangshi shuang ren with redone stickers.

I have both.
Once I started using Aolong, I never went back to Zhanchi. Aolong is just soooo smooth and fast.

weird, my dayan zhanshi is smoother. I believe it is because the friction is located at small radius from the core on dayan, while the moyu aolong is much outside (which technically helps stability of the moyu, but increase the static friction).

Bruce6335

WCA
2015WISE01
Right I think I have made my choice seen as I have the Dayan Zanchi stickerless I think I will get the Moyu Aolong v2. Thanks for the answers everyone.

FishSaysMOO

WCA
2016CHES06
What cube is good for a 28 second average solver?

Hi, I've got an average of 28 seconds, and I want a new main... I generally prefer smoother buttery cubes. At the moment I have a YJ Yulong.
Please give me answers for sticker AND stickerless cubes.