• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wulf

Been out of cubing for about half a year, looking to get back into it. My favorite cube was either the MoYu HuanYing or the ZhanChi. Also enjoyed the Shengshou Aurora.

Which new 3x3s are worth picking up for me based on those preferences? Same with 4x4, I missed the AoSu. Is that still the best, or has something topped it?

WCA
2014SRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Been out of cubing for about half a year, looking to get back into it. My favorite cube was either the MoYu HuanYing or the ZhanChi. Also enjoyed the Shengshou Aurora.

Which new 3x3s are worth picking up for me based on those preferences? Same with 4x4, I missed the AoSu. Is that still the best, or has something topped it?

The Aolong

And the AoSu is still the best 4x4

ensigndan

WCA
2015VORE01
Hey all. Looking to get a Moyu 4x4. Either the Aosu or Mini Aosu. I have larger hands, but the mini seems to be getting really great reviews. Is there a difference other than size?

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey all. Looking to get a Moyu 4x4. Either the Aosu or Mini Aosu. I have larger hands, but the mini seems to be getting really great reviews. Is there a difference other than size?

I think, and others have mentioned, that it feels less like a smaller Aosu and more like a 4x4 Aochuang. Now, if you dont have an Aochuang, that might not be very useful information, but at the very least they have different feels. I think if your hands are pretty big, you should go standard Aosu

Blueberry

The inner layers on the mini doesn't lock up as much as on the regular. I have both and I prefer the mini. 3x3 stage is also better on the mini since it feels more like a 3x3 rather than a big cube.

Prhoda

wtf just got a aolong v1 when i ordered a v2 on amazon.

My Aolong V2 corner twists a lot too. they helped it to happen less. If this is the only reason that you think this is a verson 1 you might be wrong. Look at a corner piece. Is the indent on the sides of it big or small? They are larger on the version 2.

unirox13

Hey guys, I'm in desperate need of a new 6x6. Currently I'm using a Shengshou, and while it's a decent solve, it's incredibly stiff. Wrist turns are required and turning an inner layer by itself usually forces the closest outer layer to twist some too. I've lubed it and tensioned it like crazy. I've probably spent the better part of two hours tensioning and properly lubing this puzzle.

I've been focused mostly on expanding my puzzle collection and learning to solve a variety of puzzles. Speed solving has kind of lost it's allure (still sub-20 3x3 though). Because of that I'm definitely out of the loop on what's new in the speed puzzle world. In fact, aside from the new V-Cube six I honestly don't know anything more about new 6x6's.

So, my question to you all; which 6x6 do you recommend? My main desire is a puzzle that's smooth, and has a fingertrick-able outer layer.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
So, my question to you all; which 6x6 do you recommend? My main desire is a puzzle that's smooth, and has a fingertrick-able outer layer.

I've had a Moyu AoShi for a few weeks and picked up a ShengShou 6x6 a few days ago. I think they both turn lightly enough to fingertrick but the AoShi cuts corners a lot better and the ShengShou pops like mad. The popping is maddening and makes the ShengShou nearly unusable. It also has an odd issue that on three of the sides, if you do a 2U2 or 3U2, the top layer only does a U or U+U/2.

So far I think the AoShi is far superior but I haven't used either extensively enough to give an authoritative opinion.

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've had a Moyu AoShi for a few weeks and picked up a ShengShou 6x6 a few days ago. I think they both turn lightly enough to fingertrick but the AoShi cuts corners a lot better and the ShengShou pops like mad. The popping is maddening and makes the ShengShou nearly unusable. It also has an odd issue that on three of the sides, if you do a 2U2 or 3U2, the top layer only does a U or U+U/2.

So far I think the AoShi is far superior but I haven't used either extensively enough to give an authoritative opinion.
Aoshi is a great cube.