• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

montainz09

Okay thanks guys. I didn't realize that the cube types are abandoned.
I'm not really concerned for price, just as long as it is in the 15$ and lower range. Would the YJ Sulong or the Shengshou Wind be the best pick in that category, or would there be something higher at the top of that range that could get me something significantly better?

BTW I do have some experience with speed cubes, I often use my friends.

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay thanks guys. I didn't realize that the cube types are abandoned.
I'm not really concerned for price, just as long as it is in the 15$ and lower range. Would the YJ Sulong or the Shengshou Wind be the best pick in that category, or would there be something higher at the top of that range that could get me something significantly better?

BTW I do have some experience with speed cubes, I often use my friends.
They are both excellent beginner cubes but it kind of depends on what you want in a cube. If you want a buttery smooth cube then go with the Wind. If you want a slightly faster, slightly clicky cube go with the SuLong. For $15 though you can pretty much get any 3x3 you want. Both of these cubes are relatively cheap though. I got them both for about $5 each. That being said, the ChiLong, YuLong, and Aurora might also be an option for you.

farseer00

Best Higher-Order Cubes For Noob?

Hello,
I'm fairly new to the cubing scene and have recently learned how to solve the 3x3. I'm thinking about buying my first 4x4 and 5x5 cubes and am wondering what you guys think would be the best cubes to get?

I'm definitely not a speed-cuber so I'm not really looking for the fastest cubes on the market. My main concern is stability; I don't want these cubes popping on me while traveling in a car or when a friend decides that they want to mess with them.

Last edited:

montainz09

Hmmm. Okay. From my previous (short) experience, I seem to prefer the buttery feel. The wind looks very nice, but after some looking around lots of people are saying the aurora is a direct upgrade to a wind. So far, that is what my mind is set on, and I think that is what I'm gonna get.

Again, thanks for all the help.

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmmm. Okay. From my previous (short) experience, I seem to prefer the buttery feel. The wind looks very nice, but after some looking around lots of people are saying the aurora is a direct upgrade to a wind. So far, that is what my mind is set on, and I think that is what I'm gonna get.

Again, thanks for all the help.
The Aurora is the updated version of the Wind. It has a buttery feeling but it's slightly faster and a tad clicky. Still a good choice.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4x4: Moyu AoSu, but it is pretty expensive ($25-$30) if you want something that is still pretty good and cheap, get a ShengShou.
5x5: ShengShou ($10) or you could wait until the Moyu 5x5 comes out which is supposed to be late May.

Higher: ShengShou

Fawn

So I was at my buddy ShengShou's house and I was like, "what's poppin' bro?" and he said, "absolutely nothing."

farseer00

Thanks guys. I noticed that the ShengShou 4x4 comes in a few different versions. Which would you guys recommend?

AlexTheHopper

Hey everyone, been into 3x3 solving not too long and been using the absolute horrible Rubik's brand cube I picked up in a shop, my friend told me I need to get a better cube and was wondering what the differences were between the DaYan Panshi and the Fangshi Shuang Ren, also would love to hear you guys' opinions on the two! Also the diffrences and opinions on the Type C Wittwo and the DaYan 2x2 aswell. Thanks!

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone, been into 3x3 solving not too long and been using the absolute horrible Rubik's brand cube I picked up in a shop, my friend told me I need to get a better cube and was wondering what the differences were between the DaYan Panshi and the Fangshi Shuang Ren, also would love to hear you guys' opinions on the two! Also the diffrences and opinions on the Type C Wittwo and the DaYan 2x2 aswell. Thanks!

If you are looking for a good beginner cube then I suggest going with either a ShengShou Aurora or a YJ 3x3 like the SuLong or ChiLong. The PanShi is Dayan's 6th cube and it's very clicky. Most people hate it, I think it's okay but definitely not better than the Zhanchi and not a good cube to start with in my opinion. The ShuangRen V2 is very smooth but has a scratchy feel to it. Neither pop or lock-up but if I had to chose from between the two I would chose the FangShi. As for the 2x2s, the WitTwo is very clicky/crunchy while the Dayan 2x2 is very smooth. I prefer the WitTwo over the Dayan but my favorite 2x2 is the LingPo. It's clicky like the WitTwo but smoother and faster.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with Tina. If you want the Panshi, then just get a Zhanchi instead because although the Panshi is a newer version, people hate it.

jazzmaster

Hi all.

I want to ask something.
I'm newbie in speedcube.

So which is better I buy?
ShengShou Aurora
YJ Chilong
YJ Sulong
YJ Yulong
Type C IV
Type C V version 1 (I can't found version 2)
Any else recomendation.

I need cube with cheap price but have great performance for beginner. Cause I will use it to be my main cube.

Thank

CMIIW

Last edited:

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I need cube with cheap price but have great performance for beginner. Cause I will use it to be my main cube.

From what I've heard, the Shengshou Aurora is the best choice for a beginner, and either the Chilong or Sulong for an intermediate cuber. Go with the Aurora; it's a good cube.

I also have a question about cube speed. I average 20-21 seconds without full PLL, so a pretty intermediate speed. I'm using a Zhanchi, and although I really like the speed of it, I'm getting tired of the pops. What is a cube that has a similar speed to the Zhanchi, and doesn't pop? I've tried a Weilong, and it was way too fast for me. Are any of the other Moyu cubes slower? I think a scratchy feel would be nice, so maybe the LiYing or HuanYing?

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also have a question about cube speed. I average 20-21 seconds without full PLL, so a pretty intermediate speed. I'm using a Zhanchi, and although I really like the speed of it, I'm getting tired of the pops. What is a cube that has a similar speed to the Zhanchi, and doesn't pop? I've tried a Weilong, and it was way too fast for me. Are any of the other Moyu cubes slower? I think a scratchy feel would be nice, so maybe the LiYing or HuanYing?

Before I recommend a cube I just want to note that Zhanchi's don't usually pop. Bad turning = popping. I'm not saying you have bad turning, it could just be that your Zhanchi is a little too loose. Now as for a cube, I think the LiYing is a good option for you. It's an upgraded version of the HuanYing and it's a great cube. It's slightly slower than the WeiLong and Zhanchi but I've gotten all of my best times with it. However, it isn't scratchy at all. In fact it's very smooth. The HuanYing on the other hand is scratchy and has an airy feeling to it. Overall I think most people prefer the LiYing over the HuanYing.