• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
Whenever I am going to teach someone how to cube, I usually start them off on the Pyraminx. If you only want to know between the 2x2 and 3x3, I'd say you should start on the 3x3. If you were to start on the 2x2, you would know how to solve the corners on a 3x3 (just as you would on a 2x2) and you would just need to learn the edges, but if you ever want to get better at the 3x3, you'll need to learn a different 3x3 method anyway. Also, when solving larger cubes such as the 4x4 and 5x5, it would be more beneficial to understand how to solve the 3x3 without doing corners first. By learning how to solve the 3x3, you will also be able to solve a 2x2 like you would the corners of a 3x3, so you'll know both the 3x3 and 2x2.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is a good 2x2, 3x3, 4x4+, pyraminx, megaminx and square-1 puzzle in terms of great corner cutting and good rotation speed?

For 2x2 its either dayan or witwo v1. They both perform excellently, the difference is only in how the puzzles feel when solving. The dayan is smooth and silent, witwo is a bit crunchy and louder. There are many more like the new MoYu LingPo and the FangShi 2x2 but they still dont have many reviews on them (Fangshi is not really even out yet), you might want to check on those too.

3x3: Pretty much any of the new cubes are fast and can corner cut anything. MoYu WeiLong is very fast, but so is the Gans III, FangShi ShuangRen, Dayan Zhanchi and Maru CX-3. You should watch youtube reviews and decide which you like best. There are more alternatives still like the ShengShou Aurora, Dayan Guhong v2 etc.

4x4. ShengShou 4x4 is much faster than a MoYu Weisu but it needs a lot of modding so that it doesnt lock up and so that it corner cuts. The MoYu WeiSu is a great choice if you're new to modding. The ShengShou 4x4 v5 can be a little bit better if you really nail the mods, where as the WeiSu is pretty great out of the box.

5x5-7x7: ShengShou all the way. It's currently the best brand for big order cubes. For the 7x7 you might want to consider buying the SS mini as the regular shengshou 7x7 is pretty big no matter how big your hands are.

Pyraminx: I dont do pyra but most of the best solvers use a shengshou pyraminx. It is considered to be the best one.

Square-1: I dont know much about this; If I remember right Calvins Sq-1 is the best but you might want to check this elsewhere as I really am not sure at all.

Megaminx: Dayan megaminx is very good as is out of the box. Shengshou megaminx is great too but it requires mods to be awesome. The dayan megaminx with ridges is the one I have and I do not recommend it; the ridges are just in the way. If you decide to go with Dayan you should buy one without ridges in my opinion.

These are my personal opinions mostly so you shouldnt choose based on these; Infact I suggest you start looking at youtube reviews of the ones I mentioned and decide based on that. Especially with the 3x3 its impossible to say what is the best as pretty much all of the cubes introduced lately are atleast good if not excellent.

Whyitell

Ok this is going to be my first speed cube ever. I am currently using a 1970-1979 Rubix brand cube. Its completley stock and I have never lubed it. I am looking for a extremley fast cube that is competition legal. I dont mind a DIY cube. I am in the uk and would perfer to be paying by amazon. Thanks.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok this is going to be my first speed cube ever. I am currently using a 1970-1979 Rubix brand cube. Its completley stock and I have never lubed it. I am looking for a extremley fast cube that is competition legal. I dont mind a DIY cube. I am in the uk and would perfer to be paying by amazon. Thanks.
If you want extremely fast, get a MoYu WeiLong. But if it's your first speed cube, you may want something like a ShengShou Aurora or a DaYan GuHong v2.
If you want it to be competition legal, don't get one without stickers.

Whyitell

If you want extremely fast, get a MoYu WeiLong. But if it's your first speed cube, you may want something like a ShengShou Aurora or a DaYan GuHong v2.
If you want it to be competition legal, don't get one without stickers.

Is this better that a GuHung?
Link

Also do I need to get lube?

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is this better that a GuHung?
Link

Also do I need to get lube?
It's faster than a GuHong. You should get either that or a GuHong v2, depending on whether you want something very fast (but possibly uncontrollable), or something that is still fast, but also more controllable.

I don't really know anything about lube, as I'm getting my first lube for Christmas, but if you're only just starting to use a speedcube after using a Rubik's brand then no, you probably don't need it.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What cube should I get ? Moyu weilong or Maru Cx3 ?

rj: "Moyu Weilong!"

I don't have the Maru CX3 but a lot of fast people use Moyu Weilong and I have it too and it's a very good cube. Also it's more pop resistant than CX3. Weilong is 57mm, CX3 is slightly bigger, like 58mm. I think CX3 may be more controllable than Weilong though but both are good choices.