• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, there are soooo many new cubes, I'm a bit confused... I need your help.
I'm looking for a 3x3 speed cube. My current one is a Dayan Zhanchi, but I think it's just getting old (even if I relube and recalibrate the tension). I make ~15s average with it. It also does some lock-ups.

Top priority:
- super fast
- super smooth
- no (or minimal) lock-ups, good corner cuts
- has stickers (no tiles or colored plastic)

Medium priority:
- no pops
- ready (or just need lubrication) from out of the box; doesn't require thousands of solves before getting it really good

Low priority:
- price, free shipping
- black cube

Also, where do you reccomend to buy? (I'm from Hungary.)

Thanks!

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, there are soooo many new cubes, I'm a bit confused... I need your help.
I'm looking for a 3x3 speed cube. My current one is a Dayan Zhanchi, but I think it's just getting old (even if I relube and recalibrate the tension). I make ~15s average with it. It also does some lock-ups.

Top priority:
- super fast
- super smooth
- no (or minimal) lock-ups, good corner cuts
- has stickers (no tiles or colored plastic)

Medium priority:
- no pops
- ready (or just need lubrication) from out of the box; doesn't require thousands of solves before getting it really good

Low priority:
- price, free shipping
- black cube

Also, where do you reccomend to buy? (I'm from Hungary.)

Thanks!
Fasttech.com, MoYu WeiLong. It's under 9 dollars shipping included if I remember right. It pretty much covers every single thing on your list as it is very fast, does not lock up, does not pop, does not really need lubrication like e.g. dayan puzzles, its cheap and sold in black plastic. Also the sticker shades are pretty great as they are so you might not even need replacement stickers.

I had a zhanchi as my main for quite a while and I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fasttech.com, MoYu WeiLong. It's under 9 dollars shipping included if I remember right. It pretty much covers every single thing on your list as it is very fast, does not lock up, does not pop, does not really need lubrication like e.g. dayan puzzles, its cheap and sold in black plastic. Also the sticker shades are pretty great as they are so you might not even need replacement stickers.

I had a zhanchi as my main for quite a while and I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Thanks!

A few more questions:
Which 2x2 do you recommend from fasttech?
Do you recommend the ProStaff or the GuiShou/Ghosthand lubricant?
Is there any cube in fasstech which is easy to turn, but hard to take apart? (For 5-7 year old kids. Doesn't need to be a speed cube, I just want to turn it easier that Rubik's.)

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks!

A few more questions:
Which 2x2 do you recommend from fasttech?
Do you recommend the ProStaff or the GuiShou/Ghosthand lubricant?
Is there any cube in fasstech which is easy to turn, but hard to take apart? (For 5-7 year old kids. Doesn't need to be a speed cube, I just want to turn it easier that Rubik's.)

2x2- Dayan. Do not get a wittwo. They suck now.
Never heard of those, I wouldn't buy them.
Yeah, tighten a weilong. A lot. Taking it apart is next to impossible.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
What would be a good beginner's cube?

Some people say go for an intermediate cube, like a ShengShou Wind. Personally, I went straight from Rubik's brand to a Guhong 2, and had no problems. I guess you'd struggle if you went from a Rubik's to a Weilong, which is a new cube that can be hard to control.

I'd recommend a Guhong 2. I feel it's a little easier to control than some 'faster' cubes (pretty sure Alex (5BLD) uses one, and has sub-8 global average with it, so it's not slow). I wouldn't go straight for a Zhanchi/Weilong/Shuang Ren, but the Guhong's just a little more solid, IMHO. So Guhong or SS Wind.

where would be the best place to buy it from? I live in the west coast

Best? Quickest, for you, would be TheCubicle.us. They're based near NY (I think Phil moved in the last 12 months, feel free to correct me anyone). If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, you could go with the cheapest option, which would be one of the Chinese/Hong-Kong based stores such as HKNowStore, Lightake, Fasttech, Wallbuys, etc..

TheCubicle are very good. Great service, and the best stickers money can buy. If you're not worried about chasing the best price, and/or time is a factor, would definitely recommend them very highly.

jdbryant

YouTube
Visit Channel
Rather than Shengshou Wind, I would recommend the Shengshou Aurora. The Aurora, as far as I can tell, is just an improved version of the Wind. I have an Aurora, and while it may pop every now and then, it's still one of my favorite cubes. I LOVE my Guhong 2, however. It's definitely my favorite.

Also, I can second the recommendation of TheCubicle. Best stickers, by far the best service and shipping, best selection- everything you could ask for. Plus it's run by a small kitten and a cool guy.

TheNewbCuber

I just learnt how to solve a megaminx. I'm using a QJ megaminx. Is it ok, or should I get a Dayan or moyu one? What's a really good cheap megaminx?

userman

I want to try something "different" compared to Dayan ZhanChi. Is Guhon V2 a good choice?

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to try something "different" compared to Dayan ZhanChi. Is Guhon V2 a good choice?

Guhong is a bit different, WeiLong isnt really. If you want something that feels different but performs the same you should go for the FangShi Shuangren and people also say that the Maru CX-3 has a unique feel to it.

1LastSolve

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks to everyone who helped finalize my decision with helpful comments. I've ordered everything from Amazon, and it should come this week (Except the SuLong, that's coming a bit later.) I appreciate all of your helpfulness, and here it is!
Megaminx: ShengShou Megaminx
3 x 3: YJ SuLong
5 x 5: ShengShou 5 x 5 v3
2 x 2: DaYan ZhanChi 2 x 2 (It didn't tell if the Wittwo was v1 or v2)
Lubricant: Team Associated 30,000 CST

markd315

New to cubing.

Hello friends, I'm new to this community and to speedcubing in general. I've only been able to solve the 3x3 for 4 days, but I can get 1:50 avg and 1:30 best. Obviously not good. Just keep in mind that I'm using a stiff, annoying default cube that is almost impossible to flick sides on, and that I only know very generic algorithms for F2L OLL PLL that work for all cases, but aren't very fast.

Something I REALLY need to be able to do is turn the cube with my fingers and not my hands, but it's damn near impossible with the one I have now. Any suggestions or good cubes I should look into?

JackJ

WCA
2009JOHN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome!
Instead of buying a new cube try lubricating it with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store. That should loosen it enough for basic finger tricks.

markd315

Welcome!
Instead of buying a new cube try lubricating it with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store. That should loosen it enough for basic finger tricks.

I've heard that the default cubes (Rubiks brand) are vastly inferior to the designated speedcubes. Perhaps that's incorrect, but either way, for now I'll try the lube.

caters

What cube should I start with?

I don't know whether to start cubing by solving the 2*2 cube(Mini cube, Pocket cube) or 3*3 cube(standard cube). Can anybody help?:confused: