• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
What cube is right for me?

I have two simple question that are, what 3x3 cube should I get and why? I am currently using a Dayan Zhanchi in which I am looking to replace. I have a personable best solve of 19 seconds with and average of 25 seconds. My other question is what is a good lubrication I can get with the new cube?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have two simple question that are, what 3x3 cube should I get and why? I am currently using a Dayan Zhanchi in which I am looking to replace. I have a personable best solve of 19 seconds with and average of 25 seconds. My other question is what is a good lubrication I can get with the new cube?

The problem is that there is no simple answer to your simple question. The lube one yeah, you can get either Maru lube if you don't want complications or silicone oil (traxxas, lubicle, thecubile, ... there are many) if you want to take your time to take the cube apart and lube the core and the pieces in a way that will last more than Maru. If you need more help with this you can ask specific questions in the Lubrication Thread.

But regarding what cube to get... do you like your Zanchi? Do you want something similar or different? Have you tried any other speedcubes that you might or might not have liked? Because right now there are so many good cubes out there that there is no "one size fits all" answer. Even the list of top cubes would have more than a dozen (Aolong, Weilong, Chilong, Yulong, Sulong, Huanying, Liying, Yueying, Gans 357, Guanlong, SS Aurora, FS ShuanRen, there's also a new Fangshi that I don't even know the name, the new Yuxin (I just got mine so no formed opinion on it yet).

If you can be more specific on what you would like (and how much you would like to spend) we will be able to help you better.

EDIT: The new Fangshi is the Guangying, by the way.

Last edited:
Yea your right its definitely not a simple question, because if it was i would already have the answer i am looking for by now. anyway i do like my zhanchi but I am looking to get a different cube with a different feel. I have tried out my friends Aolong v2, and I did like it but I'm not sure what I should get. I have have seemed to have narrowed down my choices to the (Aolong v2, weilong v2, Gans 357, or maybe the Fangshi Guangying). If there is any cube that stands out within the one's just mentioned, in terms of consistency and overall performance, I would love some input. Thanks.

Edit: I would also like to add that money is not a problem.

Last edited:
WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea your right its definitely not a simple question, because if it was i would already have the answer i am looking for by now. anyway i do like my zhanchi but I am looking to get a different cube with a different feel. I have tried out my friends Aolong v2, and I did like it but I'm not sure what I should get. I have have seemed to have narrowed down my choices to the (Aolong v2, weilong v2, Gans 357, or maybe the Fangshi Guangying). If there is any cube that stands out within the one's just mentioned, in terms of consistency and overall performance, I would love some input. Thanks.

Edit: I would also like to add that money is not a problem.

If u like ur friends aolong, get one. The weilong is my favourite, and it feels just as quick and awesome as an aolong, but for me, it is more consistent (less locking). The gans 357 is a little bit of a niche cube. Guangying is very new. So if you dont want to take a risk, aolong or weilong. Weilong is awesome.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now I use a 54.5 mm Moyu Aolong and I like it.

I just wanted to try out some other cubes.

1. Gans 357: Someone said it's a bit flimsy, and I have a fangshi shuangren which is pretty flimsy and locks up more than I'm comfortable with.
2. Weilong: All i know is it should be somewhat similar to the Aolong.
3. New fangshi cube.

Can somebody compare these cubes to the aolong for me?
And do you think I'll like them?

In the past I have liked the Panshi the most, Zhanchi second, and I did not like Guhong.

FailCuber

WCA
2011CHOI04

1. Gans 357: Someone said it's a bit flimsy, and I have a fangshi shuangren which is pretty flimsy and locks up more than I'm comfortable with.
3. New fangshi cube.

In the past I have liked the Panshi the most, Zhanchi second, and I did not like Guhong.

Gans : I tried my friends gans and it's much more flimsier then my shuangren. If youo think shuangren is flimsy then you won't like this.
Weilong: currently my backup main this is a blocky cube but really fast. imo it's much faster then the aolong.
Guangying aka new fangshi : It's definitely a improvement from the shuangren but it doesn't have that scratchy felling as the shuangren.

I would reccomond the weilong. Also YueYing is really good too.

Doof

Gans 357: Someone said it's a bit flimsy

Gans : I tried my friends gans and it's much more flimsier

It's not flimsy if it's properly assembled. The assembly is not complete when you receive it from stores. The Ganspuzzle website recommends you glue the corner pieces together then sand the edges. If you do it, it will feel remarkably solid and beautifully fast. It is the best cube on the market by along shot in my opinion if you think that the reason it moves as it does is because it wants to be in motion. If you don't do this, you don't really care about trying a great cube.

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
It's not flimsy if it's properly assembled. The assembly is not complete when you receive it from stores. The Ganspuzzle website recommends you glue the corner pieces together then sand the edges. If you do it, it will feel remarkably solid and beautifully fast. It is the best cube on the market by along shot in my opinion if you think that the reason it moves as it does is because it wants to be in motion. If you don't do this, you don't really care about trying a great cube.

I think if you buy a cube that wasn't part of an assembly kit, it shouldn't be necessary for you to have to fix it.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think if you buy a cube that wasn't part of an assembly kit, it shouldn't be necessary for you to have to fix it.

yes.

Gans : I tried my friends gans and it's much more flimsier then my shuangren. If youo think shuangren is flimsy then you won't like this.
Weilong: currently my backup main this is a blocky cube but really fast. imo it's much faster then the aolong.
Guangying aka new fangshi : It's definitely a improvement from the shuangren but it doesn't have that scratchy felling as the shuangren.

I would reccomond the weilong. Also YueYing is really good too.

never heard of yueying, just looked it up. how do you think it compares to aolong? or weilong?

Doof

I agree, but it works. Foul on Ganspuzzles part. But hey, many of us love DIY's and modding here, no? Hopefully the change in the Gans 356, its construction being apparently more solid, will fix this problem.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel

3. New fangshi cube.

If you like the size of it perhaps you should try the Mini Weilong. If you want to change to a 56-57mm cube then there are lots of other options but perhaps nothing that feels quite like the Aolong. If you want to try something different then perhaps the Huanying, Liying, Yueying "hollow corner" trio is a good option (I'd say get one of the two last ones, not the Huanying, I had to glue it's corner pieces together when I bought mine and the others are supposed to be improvements over the 1st one).

Seryague

WCA
2013CARP02
I would like to get a controllable cube, as my Weilong and Aolongs (v1, v2 and mini) are quite uncontrollable for me. What cube do you recommend me?

Daryuk

I am a begginer speedcuber and want to buy a new cube, because i lost my last one.(A DaYan GuHong I think)
With this cube and the beginners method I had times over 1 minute but then I stopped and now I want to get a new cube to get faster.
I already searched a bit and found the MoYu WeiLong and the DaYan ZhanChi. Are these good beginner and advanced cubes? Because I want to keep them for a long time.

Bun Naniel

Yes! MoYu Weilong and ZanChi are great cubes!. Weilong is more advanced, Zanchi is a good intermediate and advanced cube, but the weilong is a bit better. It just depends on you

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would like to get a controllable cube, as my Weilong and Aolongs (v1, v2 and mini) are quite uncontrollable for me. What cube do you recommend me?

Have you tried slowing them down a bit with lube? Putting silicone oil weight 3 (or even weight 4) in the pieces can make it more controllable. I find many cubes, among them the Weilong, are a bit uncontrollable for me if lubed with Maru.

Anyway, if you want a more controllable cube, there's one that you can find dirt cheap and, in my opinion and other cubers in this forum, is an underrated cube, on par with other, most popular cubes. I'm talking about the YJ/Moyu Sulong. Why don't you give it a try?

Last edited:

Eduard Khil

Im a Roux user, and is always under 24 seconds. Im currently using the Huanying.
Cube suggestions? I need fast M-slices, but not much cutting as Im quite an accurate turner.
Weilong? Guhong v2 (Alex Lau's main)? Fangshi Shuangren v2?

Bun Naniel

All of those are good! Weilong is probably the best out of them. If you put some lower weights (weight 1, Weight 2 silicone oil) will make the turning/M slices fast.