• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Jamon

YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought the cray fisher cube and mine is coming tomorrow and apparently it is based off a sulong mechanism so I recommend the crazy fisher cube

Aaron Lau

You don't have to be of a certain speed for you to use a cube. Just that the slower you are, the less likely your times will be affected by the performance of the cube. I'd say the performance of the cube only really has an effect after you are sub-20, but it isn't huge. So it's fine, you can go ahead and get the hualong, but don't expect it to improve your times drastically:)

completely disregarding speed, which is better? the aolong v2 or hualong?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
completely disregarding speed, which is better? the aolong v2 or hualong?

I'd say it depends a lot on your preferences. These two cubes feel very different so, what's best for one cuber can be worse for other. Technically speaking, the Hualong is a newer cube and has taken some recent desing choices that eliminate corner twists and make the cube overall faster so, it is, probably, objectively better but I can't tell you if you'll get better or worse times with it.

Aaron Lau

I'd say it depends a lot on your preferences. These two cubes feel very different so, what's best for one cuber can be worse for other. Technically speaking, the Hualong is a newer cube and has taken some recent desing choices that eliminate corner twists and make the cube overall faster so, it is, probably, objectively better but I can't tell you if you'll get better or worse times with it.

in terms of stability is the aolong v2 better?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't say that the Aolong locks up too much. Of course every cube locks up to some extent. The Aolong has pretty decent corner cutting and reverse corner cutting so lockups are not a big problem. There are newer cubes that maybe lockup less, like the new Gans 357 and 356 or perhaps the Yuxin because they have better reverse corner cutting but that comes with a price, the corners have different design, thinner and less blocky in order to allow for that reverse corner cutting improvement and, as a result the whole cube is usually less stable. So, in the end it's a tradeoff. I prefer a bit of locking but more stability. I get much more consistent times, even though I might have some lockups now and then.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Has anyone tried the new Cyclone Boys 4x4 and 5x5? The 5x5 specifically. Are they good, especially compared to the Yuxin and Aosu / Aochuang and Huanchuang?

I'm curious about these, too. It's great to see manufacturers take more interest in the big cubes. There's no need for more 3x3s and there's plenty of room for improvement with the big cubes.

MrBablae

Hi I just started cubing about 2 weeks ago, and wondering what cube to get. Currently have Rubik's sticker less 3x3x3 and am using badmemphisto'is beginner method. Looking at the v-cube 3. Prefer sticker less as not competing. Also, why can't you use sticker less in competition? :confused:

WCA
2013BARK01
Hi I just started cubing about 2 weeks ago, and wondering what cube to get. Currently have Rubik's sticker less 3x3x3 and am using badmemphisto'is beginner method. Looking at the v-cube 3. Prefer sticker less as not competing. Also, why can't you use sticker less in competition? :confused:

1. If you are talking about the newer version of the Rubik's brand cube, you would normally refer to that as tiled, not stickerless.
2. You can use stickerless cubes in competitions now, because the new regulations just went into effect.
3. The V-cubes are pretty expensive, and from many reviews I've seen they are good but not nearly as good compared to newer 3x3s. You should start with something like a Shengshou Aurora, because for one it is cheap, and it is good for beginners because it helps develop a controlled turning style because it doesn't have quite as high of a tolerance as the best speedcubes.

MrBablae

1. If you are talking about the newer version of the Rubik's brand cube, you would normally refer to that as tiled, not stickerless.
thanks for that ;)

3. The V-cubes are pretty expensive, and from many reviews I've seen they are good but not nearly as good compared to newer 3x3s.
Like for example???
You should start with something like a Shengshou Aurora
an other recommendations? Are they stickerless/tiled?
I just really think that the pillowed 3x3 vcubes look really good, and I've heard the newer ones turn really well, is this true?

Also am getting sub 90 second solves most of the time, using previously mentions method, which method do u use? I don't really know which to choose, so any advice would be appreciated. :cool:

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
thanks for that ;)

Like for example??? an other recommendations? Are they stickerless/tiled?

I just really think that the pillowed 3x3 vcubes look really good, and I've heard the newer ones turn really well, is this true?

Also am getting sub 90 second solves most of the time, using previously mentions method, which method do u use? I don't really know which to choose, so any advice would be appreciated. :cool:

1) Other very good cubes apart from the Shengshou Aurora (which I agree is a very good cube) are: YJ/Moyu Guanlong, YJ Sulong, YJ Chilong/Yulong, all of which can be found for 4 bucks or even less. Of course there are other, arguably better or at least equally good, cubes out there but most of them are more expensive (between 7 and 20 bucks approx.) like Moyu Weilong, Aolong and Hualong, Gans 357 and 356, Cong's Design Yueying and Meiying, Fangshi Shuanren & Guangying, Yuxin 3x3... There are also some "classics" that many people still love, like Dayan Zhanchi and Guhong. There are also other brands which are less mainstream but make very good cubes as well, like Cyclone Boys, QiYi, ... You'll have a hard time choosing just one 3x3. I already have like 14 different ones and, by the way, my main is currently the Chilong

From all the cheap cubes I listed above, the only one you can find stickerless is the YJ Yulong (which is a version of the Chilong with the pieces built differently to allow for stickerless versions). It's a bit pricier, though. You can get it now for 6 bucks at cubezz.com but, to be honest, I started with a stickerless cube (a Zhanchi) and immediately got bored of the colours. If you use a stickered one you can always change the sticker shades. That's up to you, of course.

2) Regarding pillowed cubes I wouldn't recommend a pillowed 3x3 for speedcubing. It is more difficult to grab and fingertrick with. Also the last review I watched of the v-cube did not impress me, corner cutting was almost non-existent and definitely it cannot be used for speedsolving, just as a collector's item.

3) Most commonly used methods are CFOP, Roux, ZZ and Petrus. I have tried the 1st three but I have only become somewhat fast on CFOP. Anyway this is just because I started with CFOP but I also like Roux and ZZ a lot. You can read a guide to choosing your own speedcubing method in the How-To, Guides section of this forum, more specifically here:

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

MrBablae

Other very good cubes apart from the Shengshou Aurora (which I agree is a very good cube) are: YJ/Moyu Guanlong, YJ Sulong, YJ Chilong/Yulong, all of which can be found for 4 bucks or even less. Of course there are other even greater cubes (but more expensive, around 7 to 18 bucks) like Moyu Weilong, Aolong and Hualong, Gans 357 and 356, Cong's Design Yueying and Meiying, Fhangshi Shuanren & Guangying... You'll have a hard time choosing just one :)

From all the 1t ones the only one you can find stickerless is the YJ Yulong but to be honest I started with a stickerless cube and got bored of the colours pretty soon. If you use a stickered one you can always choose the colours. That's up to you, of course.

Regarding pillowed cubes I wouldn't recommend a pillowed 3x3 for speedcubing. It is more difficult to grab and fingertrick with.

Most commonly used methods are CFOP, Roux, ZZ and Petrus. I have tried the 1st 3 but I have only become somewhat fast on CFOP. Anyway this is just because I started with CFOP but I also like Roux and ZZ a lot. You can read a guide to choosing your own speedcubing method in the How-To, Guides section of this forum, more specifically here:

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
Welp. I just bought the CB 5x5 since no one has any information on it. Guess I will be the guinea pig! Anyone interested in a review/comparison?

edit: By the way, theCubicle is having a July 4th sale so I would hold off your orders with them until they announce it officially.