• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

dboeren

A friend of me looks for a new 3x3 cube. It should be stable and not loose, but have very good corner cutting. He uses a Dayan Zhanchi for now and is not satisfied. Price doesn't matter.

I would maybe try the Aolong v2. It's very popular and from what I'm told the Hualong and Gans 365 are on the loose side so he might not like those.

viperzz33

hualong is indeed on the loose side. it's near impossible for me to control in one handed solving as it just wants to move around. I've tried gan356, and it seems slightly more stable, but I don't own one.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
hualong is indeed on the loose side. it's near impossible for me to control in one handed solving as it just wants to move around. I've tried gan356, and it seems slightly more stable, but I don't own one.

It's quite difficult for me to find a good OH cube. Hualong is, as you say, loose and also bumpy, which makes it difficult to control with one hand but the 3x3s I use for 2H, which are more stable (like the Chilong, Huanying...) require more effort to turn with the pinky (R' mostly). Weilong is also effortless and not as uncontrollable as the Hualong but still I overshoot at times which loses a lot of time in OH. So I think I'll try to loosen up a bit the Chilong and lube it with a bit more runny silicone (like wt 2) and try with that (or with the Sulong).

Any recommendations of cube and or how to set it up for OH so that it is as effortless as possible to turn but still controllable enough? Maybe not entirely the correct thread to post this question.

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
It's quite difficult for me to find a good OH cube. Hualong is, as you say, loose and also bumpy, which makes it difficult to control with one hand but the 3x3s I use for 2H, which are more stable (like the Chilong, Huanying...) require more effort to turn with the pinky (R' mostly). Weilong is also effortless and not as uncontrollable as the Hualong but still I overshoot at times which loses a lot of time in OH. So I think I'll try to loosen up a bit the Chilong and lube it with a bit more runny silicone (like wt 2) and try with that (or with the Sulong).

Any recommendations of cube and or how to set it up for OH so that it is as effortless as possible to turn but still controllable enough? Maybe not entirely the correct thread to post this question.

GuHong v2 is awesome for OH if it's not too big for you...I took the washers out of mine over a year ago and it's still good. When I took them out the turning became effortless, and the plastic is so smooth with blocky pieces. It's just a really accurate and controllable cube for OH.

viperzz33

the best Oh cube I've tried are dayan Zanchi 55mm and moyu weilong 54.5 mm I think. I'd recommend the weilong mini, it's fast but retains it's shape well. but it may be too fast so I think dayan Zanchi 55mm is best for u if u want good Control. never owned one but I've tried it for Oh. it's brilliant. it feels small for 2 handed for me though.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
the best Oh cube I've tried are dayan Zanchi 55mm and moyu weilong 54.5 mm I think. I'd recommend the weilong mini, it's fast but retains it's shape well. but it may be too fast so I think dayan Zanchi 55mm is best for u if u want good Control. never owned one but I've tried it for Oh. it's brilliant. it feels small for 2 handed for me though.

I have a Mini Weilong but I find mini cubes too small for my hand. I prefer regular size cubes. Anyway I must have set my weilong mini wrong, it's too sticky (maybe I lubed it too much) so I don't like the feeling much. Regarding the Zhanchi I have a 57mm and I find it okay but a bit blocky. I still prefer the 57mm Weilong over the Zhanchi.

cristhenice

What is the best puzzles?

Hello everybody.
I shall want the opinion of people very experimented to know what is the best and the most beautiful following classic cubes. Whether it is the quality of manufacturing and also if it turns well for the speedcubing. Thanks to all.
2x2x2:
3x3x3:
4x4x4:
5x5x5:
6x6x6:
7x7x7:
8x8x8:
9x9x9:
Skewb:
Pyraminx:
Megaminx:
Gigaminx:

Jade

So I have an unmodded pillowed V-Cube 3 and I want to get a real speedcube. I average sub-40 on my V-Cube. It locks up way too much which is extremely frustrating and the corner cutting is basically nonexistent, as it can cut 20° with extreme force and ~3° reverse. Also, I now have a permanent grudge against stickers because the sticker situation on my cube is horrifying. What cube would be good for me? I think I could get sub-30 if I practiced my F2L and if I could get a cube which can corner cut and doesn't lock up. I am considering a New Island Phoenix, but I'm really not sure. Just a note, I have small hands.

viperzz33

I have a Mini Weilong but I find mini cubes too small for my hand. I prefer regular size cubes. Anyway I must have set my weilong mini wrong, it's too sticky (maybe I lubed it too much) so I don't like the feeling much. Regarding the Zhanchi I have a 57mm and I find it okay but a bit blocky. I still prefer the 57mm Weilong over the Zhanchi.

hmm I like mini cubes I feel I have fun control. but as 57mm for OH maybe moyu hualong. just tighten tension for stability, even change Springs with along ones, this will make it a bit sluggish, but it response well to Maru lube, and it might be a good OH 57mm cube

Praetorian

YouTube
Visit Channel
what cube should I get? I like smooth, fast cubes that don't have popping problems. my gans 357 recently started to have a popping problem, but it pop, I have a fangshi shuangren v2 but it catches too much for me, I have a black 357 but..it feels completely different to my main, hard and snappy with an unpleasant feeling

I have an aolong v2 but it's not really fast enough for me, mine is smooth and a bit on the slower side, I have a light turning style, and it tends to pop here and there, but I do like the feel of it

so basically, lightweight, fast, doesn't pop, what would be a decent choice besides a 356?

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
what cube should I get? I like smooth, fast cubes that don't have popping problems. my gans 357 recently started to have a popping problem, but it pop, I have a fangshi shuangren v2 but it catches too much for me, I have a black 357 but..it feels completely different to my main, hard and snappy with an unpleasant feeling

I have an aolong v2 but it's not really fast enough for me, mine is smooth and a bit on the slower side, I have a light turning style, and it tends to pop here and there, but I do like the feel of it

so basically, lightweight, fast, doesn't pop, what would be a decent choice besides a 356?
Hualong for sure. The weight is average and may not be light enough for you.

viperzz33

moyu hualong is a great cube, suitable for fast but rough turning styles, more accurate people may not like it because it flexes a lot and I find doing precis turns feels weird on the cube. I think your aolong pops because it's too loose, obviously your trying to make it faster. I'd recommend aolong v1 or yuxin with Maru soft Springs since you love the feel of the aolong.

Damien Porter

WCA
2012PORT01
I have tried a number of cubes and have found that a 57mm feels just a little bit to small. I have tried cheap crappy cubes that are 60-62mm and liked the size but hated the feel. Could anyone recommend a good-great cube that it slightly larger than average.

Thanks

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
hmm I like mini cubes I feel I have fun control. but as 57mm for OH maybe moyu hualong. just tighten tension for stability, even change Springs with along ones, this will make it a bit sluggish, but it response well to Maru lube, and it might be a good OH 57mm cube

Thanks for the feedback. For now I cannot try that unless I get a second Hualong, as I'm using it as my main for 2H now and it's perfect the way it is for 2H but not for OH but I'll probably apply your suggestions to my Weilong (tightening it a bit).

what cube should I get? I like smooth, fast cubes that don't have popping problems. my gans 357 recently started to have a popping problem, [...]

I agree with what others have recommended. I think you'll like the Moyu Hualong a lot.

I have tried a number of cubes and have found that a 57mm feels just a little bit to small. I have tried cheap crappy cubes that are 60-62mm and liked the size but hated the feel. Could anyone recommend a good-great cube that it slightly larger than average.

Thanks

I don't know of any speedcube that's bigger than 57mm. Anyway I think 60-62mm would be a bit big for performing algs at full speed, but perhaps as you can't find a good speedcube that size, with the crappy ones you have not had the chance to realize. My suggestion would be to get a blocky cube. At least for me those feel like they are a bit larger than more rounded ones like the Aolong, Thunderclap... I'd say either a 57mm Zhanchi or a Gans 357, maybe even a Guhong.

There's this thread where they say the Maru CX3 is 58mm.

viperzz33

62mm is a 4x4 that's massive. I your hands must be large. if they aren't oversized, I'd recommend getting used to the standard 57mm. the best speed cubes come out that size, and as the other guy said, alas will be quicker, and you'll have faster times in the future in my opinion.

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have what may sound like a bit of an odd request. Can anyone name any 3x3s that are good for practicing accuracy on?

Like, a possibly outdated cube which still turns smoothly and is still possible to get good times on, but will pop/ corner-twist a lot if you aren't accurate with your turning, and has corner cutting which is a bit worse than most modern cubes?
Got any recommendations for something that'll fit this general description?

I just feel like -as a newer cuber- I've been spoiled by having super-good cubes from an early point in my "career" like the 356, with superb corner cutting and no pops. I think it would be good for me if I spent a little while practicing on something "downgraded" to improve my turning accuracy, fix some bad habits, and to make it easier to transition into more "fragile", easier to pop puzzles, like big cubes (which I currently suck at).

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Give the YJ SuLong a try. It's a little bit blocky and doesn't have overly generous corner cutting so you need to be fairly accurate to keep it from catching.