• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Euro 2010

Gomorrite

Man, I can't come :(
My parents think it's way to far and that just for a weekend. And 2 weeks later there is Dutch Open 2010, so then I can better go to that one, they say.

Three years in a row it was in Eindhoven and now that I live in Eindhoven it goes somewhere else. :^(

Ron

WCA
2003BRUC01
Hi all,

Here a short update on Euro 2010. I am looking very much forward to meeting you all!

This weekend we had Hungarian Open 2010 in the same venue. It was a good practice for Euro 2010.

I stayed at the Ventura hotel for 3 nights. It is a bit oldish and old fashioned, but the rooms are OK and the breakfast is fine (best scrambled eggs I have seen). The matresses are hard and the pillows are either too thin or too thick. You can have a very tasteful dinner for 6 EUR.
Around the corner are a Tesco Express supermarket and a restaurant.

150m from the hotel is a bus stop. You have to buy tickets at the reception and activate them in the bus. The buses from hotel to venue depart every 10 minutes. It takes 15 minutes to get there (10 stops).

I liked the venue more than when I visited it on my way to Slovenian Open 2010. The theatre and the side room are on the same level. Only Fewest Moves and Big Cube / Multi Cube blindfolded will be in a separate room upstairs.

The venue has a bar for drinks, sandwiches and snacks. Just outside the venue is a McDonalds. 400 meters from the venue is a large mall with a huge Tesco supermarket.

The theatre is darkish and we had some problems with the lights. Last year at Hungarian Open 2009 it was too dark. Now our sponsor Philips provided us with two bars with lights, but the light was too strong and it made everything look flashy. After the competition we rearranged the lights much higher and better positioned, so I am quite confident that it will be better at Euro 2010. We will start setting up the light and cube table positions on Wednesday September 29. So if you are in Budapest, feel free to join us that afternoon.

The good news is that we can have 15 cube tables on stage, instead of the planned 10. So once I have more time I will recalculate the time schedule and see how many more competitors we can handle. The side room will have 10 timers, and we will add some more for Friday afternoon when we cannot use the main stage.

Our sponsor Sixt offered to pick up competitors from the airport, so soon you will receive an e-mail asking for your flight details.

Our friend Jean-Louis Mathieu will run a puzzle design competition on Saturday, similar to French Open 2009. So make sure you have your new designs ready.

We will also have an unofficial Redbull event. It is a head-to-head competition with a prize for the winner, and a Redbull for all others.

And make sure you practice the iPhone cube app, because there will be an unofficial competition on that one too.

In addition there will be some tables where you can buy puzzles. I also ordered a pile of Stackmats, hopefully they will arrive in time and without import tax...

Don't worry about the Hungarian language, most people will not understand a single word of it. And many Hungarians in the streets walk away if you start talking English to them. Or maybe they are just afraid of me. ;-)

Please note that the party will be on Saturday night in the VENUE, not in the hotel. We will arrange some extra buses after the party, to the hotel.

Let us hope that the professor will attend the competition or the party!

Have fun,

Ron
PS: I will update registrations and qualification times ASAP. At the moment I am busy for German Nationals upcoming weekend. Sorry.

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the feedback and the info about the area! It sounds like it definitely will be great.
I'll be arriving on Wednesday 29 (evening), I don't know my schedule yet for Thurdsday, but most probably will help if needed.
Don't worry about the Hungarian language, most people will not understand a single word of it. And many Hungarians in the streets walk away if you start talking English to them. Or maybe they are just afraid of me. ;-)
That was amuzing. :D

Olivér Perge

WCA
2007PERG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Redbull event? hmm speeddrinking? :p
It is a head-to-head best-of-1 you-scramble-my-cube-I-scramble-yours speedsolving event.[/QUOTE]

Or in shorter, it's the "Hi, my name is Tyson" game.

Or girls with nice looking body parts and nice shoes we'd like to invite for a cola or some other activities causing them bruises.

You couldn't compose that nicer. :)

As everyone knows I speak fluent Hungarian, so it should not be a problem for me in the street ;) Let's just hope I only meet horrible butterflies.

I just can't wait for that! :D