• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rename "Speedcubing Discussion" "Speedsolving Discussion"?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I propose that we rename the "Speedcubing Discussion" to "Speedsolving Discussion."

Right now, it's clear to most informed users that this is the point of that subforum. I think it would make this clearer to new users deciding where to post.

wing92

it makes sense to change it since not all puzzles are cubes. poor pyramids, dodecahedrons, and magics. i agree with changing the name.

Innocence

Have there really been any problems with the name of the subforum?

I do not support, nor do I oppose. A rather petty matter, and if there haven't been that many problems with it, not worth changing.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
The only problem with using 'Speedsolving' rather than 'Speedcubing' is that speedsolving is the name of the site, so it may cause people to confuse the speedcubing discussion forum as a place for general discussion, rather than discussion specifically about solving puzzles quickly.

Just as an example, if I ran a forum at blah.com, and entitled a sub-forum 'blah discussion', it would usually refer to the forum to use for general discussion.

Last edited:

Googlrr

WCA
2010CARM01
I oppose. There's really no point. It's the same thing.

While I think it is fairly obvious of the purpose of the forum, I don't see much a reason to oppose such a change. The name change does indeed make sense and forum name changes take literally 10 seconds to do, so I barely see a reason to not change it.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just as an example, if I ran a forum at blah.com, and entitled a sub-forum 'blah discussion', it would usually refer to the forum to use for general discussion.
Ah, there's a good argument.

But do you have any suggestions that could help keep the forum speedsolving-oriented?
I'm having to move more-and-more border threads to off-topic, and quite a lot to hardware.

Edit: Hmm, what if we moved the hardware area right below beginners, and buried puzzle theory further down? It could help beginners catch the correct forum first.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
But do you have any suggestions that could help keep the forum speedsolving-oriented?
I don't think there are any problems discussion being too cube focused at the expense of other non-cubic puzzles. I think the issue is probably that speedcubing discussion is regarded as the 'general' forum.

I think the structure of the forum is pretty logical. Perhaps renaming off-topic to 'General Chat' or something to that effect, and placing it at the top would help encourage newbies to post off-topic stuff there..

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Ah, there's a good argument.

I'm having to move more-and-more border threads to off-topic, and quite a lot to hardware.

Edit: Hmm, what if we moved the hardware area right below beginners, and buried puzzle theory further down? It could help beginners catch the correct forum first.

Perhaps change the name, and make the description more detailed. I realize that some people will not read the description at all, but I believe most will at least give it a quick glance before posting.

Just a note: The "section" of forums containing this particular forum is named "General Cubing." I don't think this is a huge problem, but it a similar issue.

miniGOINGS

I would dissagree with this change, I really think that "speedcubing" can suffice for "speedsolving" in almost all cases. And as Conrad mentioned, it may cause confusion with the name of the site.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I apologize for the long delay in replying - my schedule has been incredibly busy, leaving me with little time to think about stuff outside of uni.

We could do that. The hardware area has exploded. What should we change the descriptions to, if at all?

I think the structure of the forum is pretty logical. Perhaps renaming off-topic to 'General Chat' or something to that effect, and placing it at the top would help encourage newbies to post off-topic stuff there..
I like the idea, what do others think?. I've noticed loads of cubing-related topics showing up in off-topic. We need to come up with a logical place for all those posts to go. Any ideas on that?

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like the idea, what do others think?. I've noticed loads of cubing-related topics showing up in off-topic. We need to come up with a logical place for all those posts to go. Any ideas on that?

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showpost.php?p=267786&postcount=15

So yeah, I think there should be some kind of 'miscellaneous' forum for cubing related stuff that doesn't fit in other forums.