• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

White cubes vs. Black cubes

Black or White Cubes?

• Total voters

kunz

im not sure but in my own experience white cubes have been better but ive never had two cubes where the only difference is the color, as always in these kinds of threads i say personal preference

jiggy

Personally, I think that if there is a difference it's so small that it wouldn't change a thing for most people. I bought into this whole white>black thing a while ago. I can't say I notice much difference between the two but switching to white played heck with my colour recognition. That's the only reason I haven't switched back to black (AC/DC anyone?) since.

As with almost everything hardware related: Personal preference.

Xprime7

I heard that, they make different coloured cubes from different plastics, so it makes a difference when cubing. For example white edison cubes are supposedly better than the black. Personally I prefer white, because the most common cubes (storebought Rubik's) are usually black.

Provectus

The difference between white and black cubes is very minimal. Huge differences claimed by some people are probably psychological.

The only thing affected by cube color is recognition.

cmasirius

I have had 2 type D's. One was black. The other one is orange. My sister has a white one. So far the orange is the best. The white one is okay, but my black one broke after only a month or so. But it was the screws that gave me trouble, not the plastic. I don't think that it has anything to do with the color of your cube. It might just be luck on having a cube that came out good. I also agree that it has to do with color recognition and skills.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
for me the difference is pretty big, my color recognition on white cubes is way worse than on black cubes, although im slow enough that you can't see too much of a difference until you see me do 4x4 on my white eastsheen

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I heard that, they make different coloured cubes from different plastics, so it makes a difference when cubing. For example white edison cubes are supposedly better than the black.

For a diferent colored cube you typically would still use the same polymer but just add a different pigment formulation.

Now in theory a manufacturer could decide to "code" his cubes in different materials by using different colors.
But then I think you would still mention the cube being in a special material for "this and this" specific benefit.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is lol and racist

Personally I prefer white cubes for recognition. I think that white being better than black is just an old presumption when white cubes came out. Plastic or not both white and black and other colored plastics come from the same mold. It isn't the plastic quality rather the effects of lube on that plastic.

miniGOINGS

This thread is lol and racist

Personally I prefer white cubes for recognition. I think that white being better than black is just an old presumption when white cubes came out. Plastic or not both white and black and other colored plastics come from the same mold. It isn't the plastic quality rather the effects of lube on that plastic.

I agree. Personally I use only black cubes, and my friend uses only white cubes. That way, we can easily tell whos cube is who. Completely personal preference (except blue F).

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think the color of the plastic has any noticeable effects on cubes, but for me I prefer black because using white stickers on a white cube makes it harder for me to find pieces. I've tried using black stickers but black plastic is just what I'm used to so I stick with it.