• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Yet another Cube Timer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Cube Timer :)

Hi, just a quick post to let you know I have uploaded my free cube timer (windows only, sorry).

I know there are already several very capable timers out there, but I wanted something really simple yet capable and good looking. Maybe you have similar tastes to mine and will like to use it. I am basically using the Omega Studio aesthetics and adding some functionality (like recording and keyboard activation). Plus a few features I have not seen elsewhere, like a continuous 5-point average, so that you don't have to do 5 solves each time.

UPDATE v. 1.1.1

* New 10-avg Graph (shows the average of 10 times from 12, by discarding lowest and highest)
* New Stats Digest in the main window (shows current 10-avg, best 10-avg and best time ever)
* New Settings window (controls LED display size, color, stoplights and inspection time)
* New Inspection Time Countdown ( When enabled, first key release will start the countdown. Once the countdown gets to zero, the timer starts. If you interrupt the countdown, the timer will start upon key release)
* New a Beep is heard when 5 seconds are left in the countdown
* New a Beep is heard when the timer starts aftr the countdown is done
* New Options for disabling sounds and stoplight delay
* Fix Display bugs (The timer display is now rendered with my own engine, and not using Windows. The display should now look nice on all screen sizes)

At any rate, feel free comment and suggest.:cool:

belloncubetimer4.jpg

Find it here:

http://www.eccentricgenius.com/wp/2010/03/02/rubiks-cube-timer/

Last edited:

Nykjær

It's missing some files (.png) so it won't work poperly. The numbers are also to big for the space on my screen. Is it made to fit only a specifik resolution?
I like the idea of statistic shown like a grapf.
But, even if it had the missing files, i would not use it, because of its lack of different srambles.

It's missing some files (.png) so it won't work poperly. The numbers are also to big for the space on my screen. Is it made to fit only a specifik resolution?
But, even if it had the missing files, i would not use it, because of its lack of different srambles.

Ooops :) Fixed now. All files are now included.

What resolution are you using? It is designed to run on resolutions of 1024x768 and higher.

The different scrambles should be no problem, I assume you mean for puzzles other than a 3x3. Which ones do you suggest?

Well there is indeed a bug in the display, so the numbers are a bit displaced in a 1024x768 resolution. Seems to work fine in higher res.

I will update it as soon as I figure out what the problem is.

Other than that it seems to be working fine :)

I "think" the problem is solved. It was an issue with the fonts.

If you guys find any problems let me know.

Also if you have suggestions or requests I am happy to oblige.

Nykjær

Ooops :) Fixed now. All files are now included.

What resolution are you using? It is designed to run on resolutions of 1024x768 and higher.

The different scrambles should be no problem, I assume you mean for puzzles other than a 3x3. Which ones do you suggest?

Well, essential srambles would be 2x2-7x7, pyraminx, megaminx, clock and sq-1 since they are the ones used in competition. i Ran 1400x1050, i'll try again, both with 1400x1050 and 1920x1200.

Edit:
Okay, it works in both resolutions, but the scramble doesn't change between solves. Only if i shut down the timer and start over, a new scramble will show.

Last edited:
It looks quite nice. I'll try it out later.

Quick question, where do the averages appear at? Does it log times?

Averages show in the Performance window in the form of a chart. You can mouse over the data points to see the actual time, and the average at that point.

Ok. It seems the way windows is rendering the font is not consistent along all systems. I think I will have to use my own font rendering and forget about windows handling the spacing.

Also since it seems like a popular suggestion, I will add other puzzle scrambles. This of course will be coupled with separate logs for each of the puzzles.

I never anticipated the display bugs, but then again I put this together last night in a couple of hours :)

Last edited:
I have a feeling this self-proclaimed genius can't count up to 25.

C'mon, programmers nowadays don't need to be able to count, that's what the for loop is for :p

Well I can't call myself a programmer, but I am physicist, so I can only count as far as the quantum superposition will allow me. And odds are, I can't :)

I am basically using the Omega Studio aesthetics...
good choice ;)

Of course! Haha!

On a serious note: any possibility of a Linux/Mac version?

Let me clean up this version first and I'll see about that.

Last edited:

PHPJaguar

Kill the 'enter' message on your website. Ick. Timer seems cool enough though. I'm checking it out.

Edit: This is pretty awesome, good job!
Edit2: Add option to input times (from previous dates)?

Last edited:

josmil1

It is a very good program, but could you please add a 15 second countdown?

nlCuber22

WCA
2010CRIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice timer, I like it.
One feature I especially like is the stackmat-like timing where you have to wait for a second and hold it down before you can start. Good thinking.

^^Also, yeah inspection would be good. Not having to use it all would also be good.

egon.Ages

WCA
2009LEIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
really nice timer, nice layout.

But i think it's only useful (at least for me) to have all scrambles from 2-7 and the other official scrambles.
Additionally, i think this green-red lamp thing isn't nessecary, it's kinda annoying if you're stopping with a keyboard. (maybe just adding a button to en/disable it?)
If you changed these 2 things, i think i'll use it as my maintimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.